Options

Watching Online Abroad

I wonder if anyone knows whether you can watch Sky Go on an iPad or MacBook when abroad? Also, can you watch the usual catch-up services (iplayer, 4OD, etc) or are these just available in the UK?

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    Only available in UK, but if you subscribe to a service like unblock-US then it should be possible.
  • Options
    carolineglasgowcarolineglasgow Posts: 828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for your reply - I'll look into that.
  • Options
    ovbgovbg Posts: 1,451
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You certainly can. I personally use Overplay which is really easy to set up. You only need their SmartDNS package, which should give you the majority of UK services. It definitely works with the BBC iPlayer, 4oD etc. But I haven't personally tried it with Sky Go.

I am based in Germany, and it certainly works for me.
    You can use this link to Overplay, which I'll be upfront, is a referral one, meaning I get a tiny discount if you sign up. But I am really happy with their service and would recommend them even if you decide to not use my specific link.

One thing to keep in mind with services that use SmartDNS's, is that they may not work with all devices. I also have an iPad, and use the SmartDNS with that, so I know it works.

You can also use a VPN, which is a bit more difficult to set up, and means all traffic will "tunnel" into the UK. Some people prefer this as it hides their internet usage, but there is nothing to hide if you just want to access UK TV whilst abroad, so the extra cost is not really worth it, especially as it slows things down unlike a SmartDNS.

You may also find the SmartDNS comes in useful back in the UK if you want to access services from other countries. Many people use it to catch up on the US on-demand services.
  • Options
    malcy30malcy30 Posts: 7,176
    Forum Member
    Will be spending a lot of time in Sweden next year but still want access to UK TV and SkyGo.
    Getting VPN is fine, thanks for all the recommendations.

My question is what will work on an iPad. I will have my work laptop, which is locked from doing anything useful like watching videos :( but don't want to have to take my own laptop as well and the iPad.

My concern is ITV Player insists on location services being activated, so even if going via a UK VPN I presume as the location is not UK you are blocked ?

With SkyGo I see the location services icon comes on when you start the app, so again do you get blocked if not in UK or Ireland, even if using a UK VPN ?
  • Options
    vekky2004vekky2004 Posts: 250
    Forum Member
    HI

NO you wont be blocked. I use Unblockus and i am able to look at content fron Canada and America to name a few. I can even stream from american websites. Namely Fox but i can still use and im in UK.
    I also use the above for Netflix for the extra choice.