Options

Why does James Bond always get snubbed at the Oscars

124»

Comments

• Options
    Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Perhaps the Bond films are regarded as just a piece of fluff and not "serious" films ?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps the Bond films are regarded as just a piece of fluff and not "serious" films ?

Pretty much.

As I said earlier in this thread the Oscars are general given for "art" and not "entertainment value". Bond would 99.9% of the time slip into the latter category (though would obviously hit more often in some of the technical awards)
  • Options
    ParthenonParthenon Posts: 7,499
    Forum Member
    Wulfster wrote: »
    As much as I loved "Skyfall", it was never going to get any Oscar nods.
    For me (despite what other DS forum threads say) "Avengers" and "TDKR" were the best films of the year, and there was no way any of those were going to get any kind of recognition.

To be frank the Oscars have always been a joke, when compared to box-office takings and popular opinion.
    "Lincoln" will obviously run away with it this year, due to the subject matter, american director and "worthiness".

However, history will prove who is right...
    In 1981, a slushy film that nobody will remember now ("Ordinary People") ran off with best picture and director (Robert Redford) beating "Raging Bull"!! :eek:
    In 1990, "Dancing with Wolves" beat "Goodfellas" in the same way. :eek::eek:
    How do you think modern film fans look back on that? :confused:

The only year they got the balance right was 1991, with "Silence of the Lambs"

Other than that ... just ignore the unwarranted back-slapping and political voting ... and stay true to the films that you genuinely like. There will always be film fans that feel the same you do.

Peace brothers (Just going through my middle-aged hippy phase :cool:)

This.

It's similar to The Walking Dead - one of the most well-written, well-acted shows on TV - getting snubbed at the Emmys because it's a zombie survival show.

Skyfall was one of my favourite films of the year. One of the few Bond films with real substance. I'd put it alongside Argo. I certainly enjoyed it more than Life of Pi. It deserved a nomination but I never thought it would get one.
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,274
    Forum Member
    The academy always ignores things like Horror, Sci Fi & Comedy why not James Bond?
  • Options
    yaristamanyaristaman Posts: 1,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wulfster wrote: »

In 1990, "Dancing with Wolves" beat "Goodfellas" in the same way. :eek::eek:
    How do you think modern film fans look back on that? :confused:

OK, was I the only person who thought Dances With Wolves deserved it's Oscars?
  • Options
    Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    yaristaman wrote: »
    OK, was I the only person who thought Dances With Wolves deserved it's Oscars?

Pretty much, yes.:p

C'mon, Goodfellas is Scorcese's masterpiece and has just grown in stature over the years. NO-ONE watches Dances With Wolves anymore.