Doctor who- lost its charm?

13»

Comments

• daisysnowlanddaisysnowland Posts: 710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes because Rose Tyler was always such an elegant dresser...

also, just out of interest. Do you consider the Tardis single handedly towing a planet back into its orbit with no serious implications for the people inhabiting said planet to be somewhat realistic?

What about when Gallifrey entered the earths orbit? Baring in mind that our own Moon can have seismic changes on the tide patterns of the earth what do you think would've happened if a whole planet turned up? Clue. It would be more serious than various extras running out of houses, looking up to the sky and clutching their faces in mild panic.

Come on now. Doctor Who is and always has been far fetched. What sort of criticism is that to throw at the Moffat era?!

I know its all far-fetched - its science FICTION after all - but The Eccleston/Tennant days featured real life more - ie Rose and the relationship with her parents, likewise Martha and Donna, plus good old Wilf - there is none of that in the recent episodes, if there was I'm not sure I would care too much. All we have is Clara's list of Places To Visit. All the scenarios lately have been in fictional places too weird to imagine existing in any kind of reality.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mrkite77 wrote: »
    Same. Eccleston is still my favorite Doctor because of that. But I certainly wouldn't call these recent episodes dark. They're a bit too animated and childish to be dark.

Exactly.A bit of "Dark" is great but needs to be balanced with a bit of humour and a teensy bit of realism. All we have is Matt Smith's annoying hair and Clara's shrieking!:mad:
  • tomwozheretomwozhere Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Exactly.A bit of "Dark" is great but needs to be balanced with a bit of humour and a teensy bit of realism. All we have is Matt Smith's annoying hair and Clara's shrieking!:mad:

Oh right so your opinion of the quality of the show is based on Matt's hair. GREAT.
  • tomwozheretomwozhere Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ugh this fandom or should I say forum is getting ridiculous negative with out giving reason half the time. Just gives me more reason to hate things.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tomwozhere wrote: »
    Oh right so your opinion of the quality of the show is based on Matt's hair. GREAT.

If you read my other posts you will find I have explained why I preferred The Eccleston/Tennant Days. I have watched each episode of the current series and found myself mentally switching off a third of the way through :yawn:
  • JohnnyForgetJohnnyForget Posts: 24,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The Eccleston/Tennant days featured real life more - ie Rose and the relationship with her parents.

Real Life :yawn:? Jackie Bloody Tyler :rolleyes:! Martha's awful parents :eek:! That's what I hated most about that era! Why it wasn't PROPER Doctor Who for me. For me the Matt Smith era is PROPER Doctor Who, much more like the wonderful show I grew up with last century.

Different stokes for different folks, eh?
  • Scorpio2Scorpio2 Posts: 5,632
    Forum Member
    Real Life :yawn:? Jackie Bloody Tyler :rolleyes:! Martha's awful parents :eek:! That's what I hated most about that era! Why it wasn't PROPER Doctor Who for me. For me the Matt Smith era is PROPER Doctor Who, much more like the wonderful show I grew up with last century.

Different stokes for different folks, eh?

They were realistic people to be honest. I like Clara but she is completely unrealistic and doesn't even talk properly.

I just like an ordinary person to join the Doctor and have adventures.
  • KoquillionKoquillion Posts: 1,905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tomwozhere wrote: »
    Ugh this fandom or should I say forum is getting ridiculous negative with out giving reason half the time. Just gives me more reason to hate things.

Ain't that what living is really all about?
  • rr22rr22 Posts: 7,630
    Forum Member
    Burst wrote: »
    I personally think this series has been a return to form, however it's still definitely not how it was or how it should be. I long for the days of RTD. At first Moffat felt like a breath of fresh air to me and I enjoyed series 5, the twists and turns and more 'intellectual' episodes really interested me, but then they just ran dry, however throughout the Ponds did remain good characters, as is Matt Smiths doctor. A comment that I read recently from Moffat was something about the new Whisper monster, and it went something along the lines of "we've brought the Cybermen and Ice Warriors back, so I thought we'd bring in a new monster". The whole point of Doctor Who is to have a monster every episode. Sure they do that, but not very effectively and in Moffat era Doctor Who, when is the monster ever the main focus? I miss the days when we had monsters like the Clockwork Robots, The Weeping Angels, The Slitheen, etc.The only Moffat era monster that has been memorable was the Silence and even they weren't used to their full potential, in my opinion.

All Moffat does is bring back old ones, and create boring, uninteresting ones that generally do nothing for the plot and are just there to fill the criteria. I miss those episodes where it was just the Doctor and his companion, and guests, being chased my monsters and saving the world. So maybe it wasn't 'intellectually stimulating' but it was a hell of a lot more fun, and frightening too. The scary episodes are always the best to me, and while they have come close, for example the episode two weeks ago with the ghost, the monster has just never been memorable or scary enough and it was only the atmosphere that did make it frightening. I feel Moffat is just trying too hard to make Doctor Who into something it shouldn't be. Yes, keep the twists and turns all you like, they are interesting, but for god sake, please start making some memorable monsters and just let the episode be about that, and that only, for once.

I agree that the best run of episodes are when the doctor and companion are running through space and time from a big monster. This is the key to a good show. One of the best examples was during the early era episodes. The Queen Victoria episode is very simplistic but effective. Likewise the episode where Martha and the Doctor are on the run and he must change into John Smith. Very simple storytelling.
  • sagrsagr Posts: 120
    Forum Member
    I have been watching Dr Who since 1963, though I did not see much of 5 and 6 for one reason and another. I now feel a bit like a loyal football supporter. Sometimes your team plays a blinder, sometimes they lose abysmally, but they are still your team and you carry on supporting them. I don't hate the current run as some of you seem to, though it is not at present my favourite.

I have wondered why it seems so many people are so unhappy but they keep watching - I guess they, like, me can't stop now.
  • mrkite77mrkite77 Posts: 5,386
    Forum Member
    Scorpio2 wrote: »
    I like Clara but she is completely unrealistic and doesn't even talk properly.

It's Buffyspeak. There has been Buffyspeak in Doctor Who since the reboot (lay that squarely at RTD's feet, he's a huge BtVS fan), but it certainly seems to have been taken to 11 lately.
  • JohnnyForgetJohnnyForget Posts: 24,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sagr wrote: »
    I have been watching Dr Who since 1963, though I did not see much of 5 and 6 for one reason and another. I now feel a bit like a loyal football supporter. Sometimes your team plays a blinder, sometimes they lose abysmally, but they are still your team and you carry on supporting them. I don't hate the current run as some of you seem to, though it is not at present my favourite.

I have wondered why it seems so many people are so unhappy but they keep watching - I guess they, like, me can't stop now.

I'm another whose watched since the Classic years.

The football analogy is a good one. We all keep watching the programme we love out of loyalty even through what we consider the lean years.

I have no problem with the current run, I love Smith as the Doctor or Moffat as the showrunner. This was not so true for me and I suspect others during the previous era. Tennant was too human a Doctor for me and the direction RTD took the show at the reboot was not the direction I personally wanted the show to go in, but of course I kept watching during that era, it was "Doctor Who" after all. Change was inevitable, it always is in "Doctor Who", and the show feels more like good old Doctor Who to me and less like "Eastenders". Some fans are not as happy with this change as I am. Different strokes for different folks.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    I stopped watching weeks ago, it seems to start slow, rush around frantically in the middle and then the end is a bit of a damp squib. Can't say I'll be going back to it, though I may give the anniversary special a go.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    is it just me or has doctor who been really Depressing since it came back, there seems to be no joy or charm this season just very dark storys

No, it's been wonderful - some slightly more intense stories but lots of Dr Who stories used to be dark - lots of people being killed etc...I'm sure there are previous threads titled: 'Dr Who - gone too soft and fluffy?'. Certainly were some threads about Moffat never killing anyone when you couldn't go through a show without someone being killed in the older WHo.

There have been some lovely one-on-one slow dialogue scenes in recent shows - there's certainly joy in them within the darker stories - people getting together, people being saved from time, even an Ice Warrior going back to his people.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have no problem with the current run, I love Smith as the Doctor or Moffat as the showrunner. This was not so true for me and I suspect others during the previous era. Tennant was too human a Doctor for me and the direction RTD took the show at the reboot was not the direction I personally wanted the show to go in, but of course I kept watching during that era, it was "Doctor Who" after all. Change was inevitable, it always is in "Doctor Who", and the show feels more like good old Doctor Who to me and less like "Eastenders". Some fans are not as happy with this change as I am. Different strokes for different folks.

You took the words right off the end of my fingers...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know its all far-fetched - its science FICTION after all - but The Eccleston/Tennant days featured real life more - ie Rose and the relationship with her parents, likewise Martha and Donna, plus good old Wilf - there is none of that in the recent episodes, .

Good, Dr Who isn;t a soap opera...or wasn't outside of RTDs reign.
  • November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    For me series 7 has been the best of the Matt Smith era thus far, if not the best since the relaunch.

Series 5 and 6.1 left me as cold as ice, though I've enjoyed them more on repeat viewings.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,152
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doctor Who's always been far fetched in terms of Scientific theory, but it's the whole wishing back into existence and winning through love stuff that I had a problem with in Series 5 and 6. But Series 7 seems to have mostly avoided that so far.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doctor Who's always been far fetched in terms of Scientific theory, but it's the whole wishing back into existence and winning through love stuff that I had a problem with in Series 5 and 6. But Series 7 seems to have mostly avoided that so far.

In that case what did you think about The Last of the Time Lords?

It was hardly new when they came up with that in season 5/6.

Personally I kind of love it. Even though it's far fetchded. I think the fact that it's sort of what makes DW into more of a science-fantasy than science fiction is one of the things that makes it so dfferent.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,152
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In that case what did you think about The Last of the Time Lords?

It was hardly new when they came up with that in season 5/6.

Personally I kind of love it. Even though it's far fetchded. I think the fact that it's sort of what makes DW into more of a science-fantasy than science fiction is one of the things that makes it so dfferent.

I'm not saying it hasn't happened in other series, and yes, that was a pretty poor resolution. But still, it had already established the Arc Angel Network, so there was still a bit of pseudo-science going on.
  • MobolocoMoboloco Posts: 889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

100% agree with you.