Options

Release FM and Wave 105

Hot HitsHot Hits Posts: 596
Forum Member
✭✭
Not sure if anyone else has experienced this...
I live just outside of the Wave 105 main area. All I can hear all the time cutting through on 105.2 is Release FM. What a pain this is..The Wave RDS disappears and Release comes up with phone numbers etc.
Have complained and it appears because I am "just outside the area" Ofcom are reluctant to do anything about it!!! What a cop out!!!

The interference keeps cutting into the music of Wave 105 and makes it unlistenable to.

Don't Ofcom bother anymore?????

I bet if this coming from a ship in the Thames Estuary they would be out there in a flash talking about interference etc!!!

Comments

• Options
    adc82140adc82140 Posts: 3,677
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a pain in the rear end. Release used to be on 105.1, therefore not causing too many problems. On the A3, Wave cuts out at the Hindhead Tunnel, and is replaced by Release on the north side. Indeed Wave does not penetrate in to the tunnel, Release does.

Around my area (Farnborough/Farnham/Aldershot) Wave is now unlistenable. Of course, Release will claim that it's an unauthorised relay that has nothing to do with them, as they simply brand themselves as an internet station.

Is there an official TSA map for Wave anywhere?
  • Options
    Mike oFoneMike oFone Posts: 2,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    adc82140 wrote: »
    Is there an official TSA map for Wave anywhere?

HERE YOU GO. ;-)
  • Options
    Mark CMark C Posts: 20,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hot Hits wrote: »
    Not sure if anyone else has experienced this...

Yes, I live in Basingstoke. I often listen to Wave 105 on journeys from here, southwards.

The jungle music crap station also on 105.2 cuts in and out thanks to the FM PLL capture effect. All the way out of Basingstoke, until Wave dominates when I reach M3 J7.

Basingstoke is well outside the MCA, so tough I guess, though Release, or whoever is rebroadcasting them is illegal, so why don't Ofcom track 'um down, and disable them ?
  • Options
    Peter the GreatPeter the Great Posts: 14,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mark C wrote: »
    Yes, I live in Basingstoke. I often listen to Wave 105 on journeys from here, southwards.

The jungle music crap station also on 105.2 cuts in and out thanks to the FM PLL capture effect. All the way out of Basingstoke, until Wave dominates when I reach M3 J7.

Basingstoke is well outside the MCA, so tough I guess, though Release, or whoever is rebroadcasting them is illegal, so why don't Ofcom track 'um down, and disable them ?
    I live in Basingstoke and have always had problems with receiving Wave. Sometimes there is a French station that interferes with Wave I think it is either inter or info?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I live in Basingstoke and have always had problems with receiving Wave. Sometimes there is a French station that interferes with Wave I think it is either inter or info?

Yes, it's Caen I think ?
  • Options
    adc82140adc82140 Posts: 3,677
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HERE YOU GO.

Thank you :D ;-)

Sometimes there is a French station that interferes with Wave I think it is either inter or info?

It's France Info, 500kW from Lille- a bit of a powerhouse.
  • Options
    ariusukariusuk Posts: 13,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a pain in the rear end. Release used to be on 105.1, therefore not causing too many problems. On the A3, Wave cuts out at the Hindhead Tunnel, and is replaced by Release on the north side. Indeed Wave does not penetrate in to the tunnel, Release does.

Around my area (Farnborough/Farnham/Aldershot) Wave is now unlistenable.

Wave isn't supposed to be listenable anywhere near Farnborough. Or Hindhead.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ariusuk wrote: »

No, but that doesn't give pirate stations the right to use the frequency, or for Ofcom to let them get away with it
  • Options
    Vince800Vince800 Posts: 678
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I also noticed this on the way back from a day out in Portsmouth the other day. The Hindhead tunnel almost acted like a gateway for the station. No real sign of Wave105 after leaving the tunnel.

Not sure what power this pirate is using but it covers a huge area. It's as above audible upon leaving the tunnel Northbound and gives a perfectly audible signal around most of Hertfordshire. Wave105 used to be fairly easy to pick up even here in Herts.
  • Options
    SimonjharrissonSimonjharrisson Posts: 1,214
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, but that doesn't give pirate stations the right to use the frequency, or for Ofcom to let them get away with it

Post deleted .... see below... all thanks to BT Total CRAP Broadband !!!! >:(>:(>:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Agreed. OFCOM are a waste of space and actually hassle and hinder legit stations, prevent the proper evolution of LOCAL Community radio ( Since ILR is a thing of the past in most places) and fail to take the pirates off the air.

IMO legit stations should be campaigning for a regulator with more teeth to protect their revenues etc and lobbying for a refund of license fees for OFCOM's failure to be fit for purpose. >:(
  • Options
    hanssolohanssolo Posts: 22,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course, Release will claim that it's an unauthorised relay that has nothing to do with them, as they simply brand themselves as an internet station.
    Ofcom are now encouraging "internet legal" "pirates" to apply for community licences along the lines of Zane in Guildford, Intobeats and Rinse in London.
    But a lot of community radio applications are turned down and Ofcom say there are no suitable FM frequencies in many areas just AM ones?. Presumably the illegal relay of Release is not affecting anything else, but not fit in with the technical requirements, if it does it might be used in the next round of applications (SE and London in 2015) with no guarantee Release will get it if they apply?

Bauer seem happy in the South Wave is just a station tailored for the Solent Southampton/Portsmouth area and Magic just for London
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/profiles/dee-ford-a-local-radio-star-with-an-eye-on-the-global-market-2298010.html
    Bauer, she argues, has concentrated its forces in larger urban centres. It has 21 stations in "major" markets (the same as Global, by her arithmetic), and 13 of its other stations are in "medium" localities. These audiences, she says, demand premium and tailored content
    The next expansion for Bauer are the national "Passion" stations on DAB and D2.
  • Options
    Jim_AFCBJim_AFCB Posts: 206
    Forum Member

Edit: Must read the whole thread before posting replies!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ariusuk wrote: »

I was on the A3 today, Release cut in on a north facing gradient halfway between Petersfield and Horndean, which is within Wave's MCA, though admittedly there's
    a hole at that point on Ofcom's map, so is that OK or not ? ;-)
  • Options
    InterestedPartyInterestedParty Posts: 276
    Forum Member
    I was on the A3 today, Release cut in on a north facing gradient halfway between Petersfield and Horndean, which is within Wave's MCA, though admittedly there's

I don't know but where I live in northwest Hampshire (just outside the Wave area) Release is a total pain. Why aren't ofcom chasing the pirates and closing them down? - especially ones with transmitters as powerful this... It can't be difficult to find their transmitter!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know but where I live in northwest Hampshire (just outside the Wave area) Release is a total pain. Why aren't ofcom chasing the pirates and closing them down? - especially ones with transmitters as powerful this... It can't be difficult to find their transmitter!

I don't live in your area, but what kind of coverage area are Release achieving then?
    If (by the sound of it) they are using a lot of power then surely the OFCOM lot should find them easy?
  • Options
    Nick_GNick_G Posts: 5,137
    Forum Member
    I can't hear Release driving around Whitchurch on the car radio - I just get Wave 105. It doesn't come through on the tuner with the aerial beaming east either, but that's probably because Release are vertically polarised.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't live in your area, but what kind of coverage area are Release achieving then?
    If (by the sound of it) they are using a lot of power then surely the OFCOM lot should find them easy?

I was astonished today, Release stamped all over Wave, until I reached the top of the hill, at which point Wave's Chillerton Down transmitter is very nearly visible, (and this is well within the transmitter's main beam, as Portsmouth is in direct line).

Wave is 10kW, and this location was just 24 miles from the tx, (and its tx antenna is 380 metres above sea level)
  • Options
    Vince800Vince800 Posts: 678
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nick_G wrote: »
    I can't hear Release driving around Whitchurch on the car radio - I just get Wave 105. It doesn't come through on the tuner with the aerial beaming east either, but that's probably because Release are vertically polarised.

Yep Release must be vertically polarised because on the Eton if I move the aerial horizontal Wave can just about be heard through Release. It's amazing that this has gone undetected by OFCOM as it covers a really large area. I haven't tried 105.2 further North than here since Release started. It probably interferes with Planet Rock near North Buckinghamshire.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vince800 wrote: »
    Yep Release must be vertically polarised because on the Eton if I move the aerial horizontal Wave can just about be heard through Release. It's amazing that this has gone undetected by OFCOM as it covers a really large area. I haven't tried 105.2 further North than here since Release started. It probably interferes with Planet Rock near North Buckinghamshire.

Well, sounds like someone who lives within the affected area, should get on the 'phone and give OFCOM (lazy basta**s) a kick up the you know what!

How this kind of thing can go on, is beyond me.
  • Options
    Hybrid telliesHybrid tellies Posts: 1,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here near Bristol with a slight tropo lift I can receive Wave 105 clearly from Chillerton Down,occasionally it gets drowned out by the French station at Lille. I have not heard this Release station yet.
  • Options
    FM_BanditFM_Bandit Posts: 2,650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How this kind of thing can go on, is beyond me.

Because Ofcom have priorities other than pandering to 'necks' DX-ing outside of a station's official licence area. Guess what, Bauer don't care about you either!
  • Options
    hanssolohanssolo Posts: 22,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Commercial stations have a TSA map, smaller than the MCA map, which helps define coverage for advertisers and rajar, so this area may not be important to the station?

The Government has been cutting back departments and even though some of Ofcom's money is from companies, Ofcom has been cut back and may not have the resources to track FM pirates, the policy seems to be to encourage them to get community licences, but is struggling to keep the community licence timetable on track.
    http://www.theguardian.com/media/2010/oct/14/ofcom-scms-jeremy-hunt
    Government curbs Ofcom's powers
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FM_Bandit wrote: »
    Because Ofcom have priorities other than pandering to 'necks' DX-ing outside of a station's official licence area.

Well, at least it's refreshing to know, I can stick a 100+ watt burner on my 1mW domestic transmitter, and drive around town and beyond listening to it on my car radio.

It's not tuned to any frequency that any radio station in my area is using, so that's OK then ?

Excellent, thanks Ofcom :)
  • Options
    Hot HitsHot Hits Posts: 596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was driving up from Southampton earlier and gave up listening to Wave this morning. Nick Piecey's Golden hour at 9 was continually punctuated with rap nonsense.
    After reading the above postings for a legit station which is one of the few really good ones to be interfered with like this I certainly wouldn't give Release a licence.!!!
    Perhaps as Mark C says above we should all have a go if Ofcom don't bother!
    But did I read somewhere that it is now the job of the BBC to track down illegal broadcasts and stop them?? Or am I imagining it? If so I'm sure the BBC don't worry a bit if a commercial station service is messed with
    COME ON OFCOM!!!