Options

How do the people who work in Lush put up with the dreadful smell?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 39
    Forum Member
    It smells nice to me. Very strong yes, but never been irritated by it. :) Nicer than many toxic-smelling perfumes which make me gag! How anyone works with those day-in, day-out is a mystery.
  • Options
    ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AnitaS wrote: »
    I'd rather work in Lush than a sewage treatment centre.

I think I'd prefer the sewage, to be honest.

I don't 'get' Lush. I know some people who absolutely adore the place, but I can't bear the smell even from the other side of the road, let alone going in. I did once, and had to get out again pretty quickly - I could hardly breathe.

Someone gave me a bath bomb once and I did actually use it, but it smelled really overpowering, and brought me out in a terrible rash all over. I am quite sensitive to chemicals in soaps and shower gels and so on, so obviously it disagreed with me.
  • Options
    CitySlickerCitySlicker Posts: 10,414
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't get Lush either, OH raves about it but following a box of stuff at Christmas that was only in the living room a short while it took ages for the smell to go. I'd rather work in sewage than their shops, like others I find it really irritates my eyes and lungs. I have had to clear a couple of drains out in my time too and the experience of this is a bit wretching at points but still preferable to my eyes feeling red raw and finding it hard to breathe. (OH once put one of their bath bombs on some gloss wooden pipe boxing, the paint bubbled off within a couple of days and by the time I saw it I had to scrape all the paint off and regloss it).
  • Options
    What name??What name?? Posts: 26,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No idea. It gives me headaches.
  • Options
    xblingxbling Posts: 2,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just had a lovely lush bath. Karma crumble and a dragon egg bath bomb. ☺️
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    xbling wrote: »
    I've just had a lovely lush bath. Karma crumble and a dragon egg bath bomb. ☺️

With custard? :D
  • Options
    DaisyBillDaisyBill Posts: 4,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never smelt any lush stuff, or been in a lush shop. My local town does have a body shop, and that's a bit overpowering. I expect it's the effect of having so many products in a smallish place. They may well smell nice enough singly.
  • Options
    xblingxbling Posts: 2,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With custard? :D

I love custard! I could probably eat a bath of it. 😋
  • Options
    katywilkatywil Posts: 1,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1fab wrote: »
    It doesn't smell of soap - it's some kind of overwhelming chemical stink. God knows what they put in it.

its citric acid. I worked there once for 2 weeks. I sneezed every ten seconds, eyes were streaming. I had wicked pain in my face. I think it was sinusitis. sp. it was hateful for me but other people were all ok.
  • Options
    CaptainObvious_CaptainObvious_ Posts: 3,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The smell also gets me. It's the mixture of all the smells I think. Overpowering
  • Options
    AnnaliseZAnnaliseZ Posts: 3,912
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    francis7 wrote: »
    Just walking past and getting a whiff of that overpowering soap smell is enough for me. How can they stand working in there day in day out? :confused:

My bathroom smells like that it's full if their bath bombs. Absolutely love it.
  • Options
    ZimzammamZimzammam Posts: 158
    Forum Member
    I have to hold my breath as I walk past, it's horrendous. I did try going in when they first opened but my eyes were watering and a migraine loomed! Surely it's harmful to the staff breathing that stench day in day out??!
  • Options
    LaceyLouelle3LaceyLouelle3 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member
    I couldn't work there or at a perfume counter etc. I get terrible headaches from overpowering smells.
  • Options
    pink star 28pink star 28 Posts: 1,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love the smell of their rock star soap, and snow fairy shower gel. But they also have some other soaps and bath bombs that smell rank.
  • Options
    RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suspect the wise staff fail to deodorise at least one of the armpits, and give it a sniff now and again, to get some balance and reality.
  • Options
    livingdeadgirllivingdeadgirl Posts: 624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like it. And I'm not allergic to their products I've tried which is always a bonus. The godmother soap is epic, and people tell me I smell nice as though im just freshly washed, even hours after I washed with it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,335
    Forum Member
    I would be more worried about inhaling airborne powder from the bombs
  • Options
    riverside 57riverside 57 Posts: 14,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    While I doubt I would be able to work there, I find the smell pleasant enough to be able to walk around for a while, and is most definitely preferable to the horrible stench from those cheese melt shops! Now I really do have to hold my nose going past them, some of that cheese smells like sick!
  • Options
    moonlilymoonlily Posts: 7,894
    Forum Member
    I love the smell of their rock star soap, and snow fairy shower gel. But they also have some other soaps and bath bombs that smell rank.

I love the Comforter-and the smell of Rock Star reminds me of something from my childhood but I'm not sure what :)
  • Options
    chocoholic100chocoholic100 Posts: 6,411
    Forum Member
    moonlily wrote: »
    I love the Comforter-and the smell of Rock Star reminds me of something from my childhood but I'm not sure what :)

pear drops and candyfloss.
  • Options
    angelbabyxangelbabyx Posts: 742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You get used to it, I'd imagine. I bought a bath bomb from them once, it smelled like the sea. Put it in the bath and shortly after the fizz was done I realised that I was in fact, sat in a bath with a massive bunch of seaweed.

lol!

i think it would be cool to work in the factory where they make all the products lol - best job ever lol!
  • Options
    francis7francis7 Posts: 692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Elanor wrote: »
    I think I'd prefer the sewage, to be honest.

Me too!
  • Options
    Utopian GirlUtopian Girl Posts: 8,275
    Forum Member
    I've often wondered that. Can't stay in Lush more than a few minutes before my eyes and nose are streaming.

Same here - I have migraines set off by perfumes/ smells - I even have medicine to help - but ' Lush!' I Iike their products but find them very hard to use (even if bought as a gift) but walking past a shop is enough! I couldn't work there!:o
  • Options
    muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The smell also gets me. It's the mixture of all the smells I think. Overpowering
    That's it. It's not that individually the smells are unpleasant, but together they are overwhelming, they meld into one unrecognisable scent.

It'd be like trying 50 different perfumes on your arm, you wouldn't smell of any single scent, just a mass of perfume, unrecognisable as any individual scent.
  • Options
    bornfreebornfree Posts: 16,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Lush products are overpriced to say the least.