Options

Why is Scotland so well known?

Comments

• Options
    darkislanddarkisland Posts: 3,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't forget The Kilt. Something for so many non-Scots chaps to be secretly envious and outwardly contemptuous of. ;-)
  • Options
    BrooklynBoyBrooklynBoy Posts: 10,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Highlander and Trainspotting.

I've learned from these that the Scots are immortal junkies who like sword fighting.
  • Options
    MidnightFalconMidnightFalcon Posts: 15,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The average Englishman in his home he calls his castle,slips into his national costume a -shaby raincoat- patentad by Charles Macintosh from Glasgow Scotland.

En route to his office he strides along the english country lane,surfaced by John Macadam Ayr,Scotland.

He drives an english car fitted with tyres invented by John Boyd Dunlop,Dreghorn Scotland.

At the office he receives the mail bearing adhesive stamps invented by John Chambers of Dundee Scotland.

During the day he uses the telephone invented by Alexander Graham Bell,from Edinburgh Scotland.

At home in the evening his daughter pedals her bicycle invented by Kirkpatrick Macmillan from Dumfrieshire, Scotland.

He watches the news on TV invented by John Logie Baird from Helensburgh,Scotland and hears an item about the US navy founded by John Paul Jones from Kirkbean,Scotland.

Nowhere can an englishman turn to escape the inginuity of the scots. He has now been reminded too much of Scotland and in desparation he picks up the holy Bible only to find that the first man mentioned in the good book is a scot,King James the VI who authorised its translation.

He could turn to drink but the Scots make the best in the world,He could take a rifle and end it all but the rifle was invented by Captain Patric Ferguson from Pitfours Scotland, if he escapes death,he could find himself on the operating table injected with penicillin,discoverd by Sir Alexander Fleming of Darvel Scotland and given Chloroform, an anesthetic discoverd by Sir James Young Simpson from Bathgate Scotland. Out of the anesthetic he would find no comfort in learning that he was as safe as the bank of England founded by William Paterson from Dumfries,Scotland.

Perhaps his only remaining hope would be to get a transfusion of guid scottish blood wich would entitle him to say,, WHA'S LIKE US?

Nuff said.
    I've learned from these that the Scots are immortal junkies who like sword fighting.

:D:D:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,667
    Forum Member
    darkisland wrote: »
    Don't forget The Kilt. Something for so many non-Scots chaps to be secretly envious and outwardly contemptuous of. ;-)

If it were Scottish....
  • Options
    maidinscotlandmaidinscotland Posts: 5,648
    Forum Member
    Why does he do it? I suppose there must be some Scottish ancestry but the cynic in me just thinks it's his marketing thing...an invented identity. clearly worked well anyway..

His Dad is Scottish
  • Options
    carnoch04carnoch04 Posts: 10,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shackfan wrote: »
    What on earth makes you think it is more well known than any other country, around the world? :confused:
    Mainly because it is attached to England.

Strange how that hasn't worked so well for Wales though.:confused:
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    Glaswegians
  • Options
    BRITLANDBRITLAND Posts: 3,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    starsailor wrote: »
    Really? The Union Jack, The Beatles, The Queen, London, Shakespeare, Harry Potter, James Bond...

(Some of those are British of course, but dominated by England)

Mr Bean :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glaswegians

Gesundheit.
  • Options
    phylo_roadkingphylo_roadking Posts: 21,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He drives an english car fitted with tyres invented by John Boyd Dunlop,Dreghorn Scotland.

Ahem....John Dunlop was born in Scotland - but the pneumatic tyre is regarded as a Northern Irish invention...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Boyd_Dunlop

and in desparation he picks up the holy Bible only to find that the first man mentioned in the good book is a scot,King James the V1 who authorised its translation.

I'll bet sales went like a bomb...

Patrick Ferguson invented a rifle....but not THE rifle...

And remind me NEVER to require hospital treatment in Scotland if they still use chloroform!!! :o:o:o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The actual answer to why Scotland is so well known is that there was mass exodus after the clearances, people replaced by sheep, Scots left and resettled everywhere abroad, and cling on to their hertage as ex pat Scots. Even if it is fake/romanticised Scots such as tartan and the pipes/clans etc.

Irish did similar after the crops failed with blight, which is why there are big Irish ex pat communities, they die the river green on St Patricks day in NY (St Paddy they call it!), they also funded the IRA, Noraid.

Mainly the Scots live everywhere but home!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ahem....John Dunlop was born in Scotland - but the pneumatic tyre is regarded as a Northern Irish invention...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Boyd_Dunlop

I'll bet sales went like a bomb...

Patrick Ferguson invented a rifle....but not THE rifle...

And remind me NEVER to require hospital treatment in Scotland if they still use chloroform!!! :o:o:o

There's a time and a place for historical accuracy.

Yours Truly.

An "Immortal sword wielding junkie".

:p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    they die the river green on St Patricks day in NY (St Paddy they call it!), they also funded the IRA, Noraid.

O if only!!! :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    O if only!!! :p

Ooops I think it was the DS effect...I want to dye...:o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The actual answer to why Scotland is so well known is that there was mass exodus after the clearances, people replaced by sheep...

Oh god, someone will mention the Twin Towers next...:D
  • Options
    fhs man 2fhs man 2 Posts: 7,591
    Forum Member
    Bagpipes are thought to originate in the far east, as does plaid. Tartan was invented by the German king George IV as was all the "Scots highlander" myth. Nessie however speaks Doric, fit like so I've heard.

Not funny, Doric is Aberdeen and the north east not Inverness. That is like saying people in Newcastle speak Cockney.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    fhs man 2 wrote: »
    Not funny, Doric is Aberdeen, Fraserburgh, Peterhead not Inverness. That is like saying people in Newcastle speak Cockney.

I grew up Aberdeen - Huntly area, I say it's okay. I could't be hassled with gaelic...sorry!

(maybe she's on a wee trip...)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I grew up Aberdeen - Huntly area, I say it's okay. I could't be hassled with gaelic...sorry!

(maybe she's on a wee trip...)

I don't know why I said Inverness since Nessie is not from there she is from Drumnadrochit. I have been there it is weird I had never seen countryside like that before and the signs were is Gaelic and English.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have been there it is weird I had never seen countryside like that before and the signs were is Gaelic and English

That's not for the locals...that's for American tourists to photograph...
  • Options
    Forum Member

I have travelled all throughout the Scottish lowlands but in the Highlands I have only ever been to Inverness, Drumnadrochit and Perth.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Even McDonald's had a Gaelic translation.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How did Scotland become so well known throughout the world?

Through being attached to England.
  • Options
    Rick_DavisRick_Davis Posts: 1,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why have Scots become known all over the world?

Education.

In C17 / C18 Scotland was one of the first nations to recognise the importance of a good education.

In Edinburgh at the very beginning of modern banking (don't let this degenerated into what has happened over the last 10 years) many bankers were huge philanthropists and many of Edinburgh's private schools were established as educational establishments for the poor. George Watsons, Merchiston, Heriots all established by bankers as philanthropic educational establishments for orphans or the poor.
  • Options
    Rick_DavisRick_Davis Posts: 1,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also, Scots travel, and have done for centuries.
  • Options
    Archie DukeArchie Duke Posts: 1,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have travelled all throughout the Scottish lowlands but in the Highlands I have only ever been to Inverness, Drumnadrochit and Perth.

....and the many places inbetween Perth and Inverness, unless you are capable of teleportation. { if such a thing was possible it would have been invented by a Scot, natch ]