Options

Had to ditch Firefox for Google Crome

Gusto BruntGusto Brunt Posts: 12,351
Forum Member
✭✭
Firefox was always crashing and saying a script had stopped running. >:(

The whole browser would freeze and I'd have to restart my computer. What a pain in the a***.

So annoying.>:(

Comments

• Options
    albertdalbertd Posts: 14,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Must be something to do with your setup. I am using Firefox 30 and it seems perfectly stable.

He said, crossing his fingers, toes and everything else he could think of :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    albertd wrote: »
    Must be something to do with your setup. I am using Firefox 30 and it seems perfectly stable.

He said, crossing his fingers, toes and everything else he could think of :)

I thought it might be a virus on my pc, but it was Firefox. I did a search on Google and Firefox freezing and crashing are common problems.
  • Options
    Waj_100Waj_100 Posts: 3,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Since Firefox updated to the latest version I have had no end of problems.

I have a work around in place atm....open Firefox then minimise...open a new tab and use that for Firefox....no crashing, freezing, etc.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In terms of stability, nothing wrong with Firefox here.
  • Options
    barky99barky99 Posts: 3,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    just save ALL settings, completely wipe firefox, then reinstall firefox and all will be well

assuming problem was firefox
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    barky99 wrote: »
    just save ALL settings, completely wipe firefox, then reinstall firefox and all will be well

assuming problem was firefox

Done that several times without success.

The previous version worked perfectly, seems very odd that an updated version is causing trouble with the same settings and everything as before.
  • Options
    Smiley433Smiley433 Posts: 7,914
    Forum Member

There's one site I'm getting the same "script has stopped running" message - the BT Mail website. But I'm blaming the site rather than Firefox.

No other issues to report.
  • Options
    GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No issues here either with it :)
  • Options
    LION8TIGERLION8TIGER Posts: 8,484
    Forum Member
    FF 30 ok here but not so good for a friend of mine who needs high contrast (black), they broke it in 29 and don't seemed too bothered to fix it.
    Maybe its to do with the new Chrome look because High contrast doesn't work there either .... IE8 (cos its XP) works fine as it always did.
    There is an add-on for FF called 'blank your monitor' but the trouble is it only blanks the web page and not the whole screen.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Smiley433 wrote: »
    There's one site I'm getting the same "script has stopped running" message - the BT Mail website. But I'm blaming the site rather than Firefox.

No other issues to report.

I was getting it on Digital Spy and Youtube. No problems now I am on Chrome. :)

Waj_100 wrote: »
    Done that several times without success.

The previous version worked perfectly, seems very odd that an updated version is causing trouble with the same settings and everything as before.

I must have the new version then.
  • Options
    christwochristwo Posts: 534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Also had problems with the latest version of firefox and moved back to opera. Flash would not load even after unistall and reinstall works fine elsewhere.
  • Options
    tealadytealady Posts: 26,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you got any addons OP? Maybe one of them is playing up.
  • Options
    whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ff has always crashed on me at work and home. Don't get why is so popular.
  • Options
    flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    I thought it might be a virus on my pc, but it was Firefox. I did a search on Google and Firefox freezing and crashing are common problems.

there's a sort of selection bias here. I don't know how big the user base is. maybe 500m users? something like that.

if you search for problems like crashing on something that has 500m users you will find some.

if you googled the same thing with chrome, internet explorer, safari, opera instead of firefox you'd get the same result.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    there's a sort of selection bias here. I don't know how big the user base is. maybe 500m users? something like that.

if you search for problems like crashing on something that has 500m users you will find some.

if you googled the same thing with chrome, internet explorer, safari, opera instead of firefox you'd get the same result.

Yeah, I doubt that any browser will work totally fine on everyone's system. Because of one thing or another, all browsers will have stability issues when it comes to a small amount of people's systems.
  • Options
    radioanorakradioanorak Posts: 4,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have tried a mulitude of browsers from IE, Firefox , Chrome,Opera & Safari.Also many Firefox & Chrome clones.
    On my system which is still on XP, I have returned to Yandex Browser & find it is the very best of the lot.
    No crashing & stable.
    fast @ starting up & very quick loading pages.
  • Options
    SandgrownunSandgrownun Posts: 5,024
    Forum Member

The whole browser would freeze and I'd have to restart my computer. What a pain in the a***.

So annoying.>:(
    Same here. FIrefox is unusable on my laptop, I tried a clean install of FF with a new profile and it made no difference. The only way I could use FF was to change Flash to 'Ask To Activate', which is just annoying and whenever I did activate it the browser would crash.

I've given up and am now using Opera 22 instead. I prefer FF though so I'll try it again when a new version comes out (currently got version 30).

The strange thing is, I have version 30 installed on my desktop with the same extensions and it works perfectly, the only difference is my laptop is Windows 8.1 and the desktop is Windows 7.
  • Options
    call100call100 Posts: 7,278
    Forum Member
    instead of moving to Chrome you could try Palemoon or Waterfox. Both FF based browsers and all your add-ons still work.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In my case the problem with Firefox has been solved....I had Norton Internet Security until my licence expired 6 months early and I couldn't get anyone to sort it out for me...you ring Symantec and they have a recorded message saying go online to sort it out, but this only applies to downloaded versions...they send you round in circles and are no help at all!!

I uninstalled Norton and got myself another anti virus system....no more problems with Firefox!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I ditched Chrome for Firefox. I win, yay!

I wasn't going to post this, but I read the OP - and added to the discussion. Onside, Ref!
  • Options
    SandgrownunSandgrownun Posts: 5,024
    Forum Member
    One thing I forgot to mention. After I did a clean install with a new profile and no extensions it did take a couple of days for the problem to reappear. I guess this is significant but I don't know how. This is the error message, it's very easy to reproduce, in this case it happened on Facebook - http://s30.postimg.org/pvi1osgmp/fferror.jpg
    call100 wrote: »
    instead of moving to Chrome you could try Palemoon or Waterfox. Both FF based browsers and all your add-ons still work.
    I tried Waterfox and had the same problem, I suppose because it uses my FF profile?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have tried a mulitude of browsers from IE, Firefox , Chrome,Opera & Safari.Also many Firefox & Chrome clones.
    On my system which is still on XP, I have returned to Yandex Browser & find it is the very best of the lot.
    No crashing & stable.
    fast @ starting up & very quick loading pages.

Hmm Yandex, never tried that one, I'll give it a shot. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The odd time Flash freezes when on YouTube and Firefox gives me the option of either stopping the plugin/script or waiting for it to put itself right. I hardly ever experience this though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member

Well with millions and millions of users around the globe there's bound to be several hundred of them with problems. I can honestly say now, for me personally on both tablet, phone, and especially my Linux desktop, that Firefox is even quicker than Chrome. I'm not happy with the Flash situation, but it hasn't given me any issues so I cannot reasonably complain about it.
  • Options
    DXRulzDXRulz Posts: 4,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My old WIndows Vista Advent laptop used to always freeze when firefox crashed exactly as mentioned above, then i switched to Chrome and then i decided it was time for a new laptop, so still using Chrome on Windows 8.1 :)