Options

Songs ruined by one particular part of the song

scratchy23scratchy23 Posts: 3,675
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I was listening to Ready For Your Love by Gorgon City today and realised how awful the "stars burn bright" bit is compared to the rest of the song. In my opinion it ruins the song. Still love it though.

Then I remembered how Braveheart by Neon Jungle is completely ruined by the absolutely atrocious rap section in the middle 8. Take away the rap and Beaveheart would be an absolute belter of a dance song.

Any other great songs that are let down by one particular section?

Comments

• Options
    kryskryskryskrys Posts: 3,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The first one that comes to mind is the cringeworthy rap in Gentleman by The Saturdays. I mean it would be bad enough anyway, but Larry King/The Jonas Brothers/Denzel Washington/Kanye West/Weezy/Ludacris :confused:

They could at least have chosen some names a bit more relevant to their audience e.g. One Direction or Benedict Cumberbatch! But I would have just cut out the name-dropping altogether. Whichever names you choose, it will sound so dated in five years time.
  • Options
    mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,999
    Forum Member
    kryskrys wrote: »
    The first one that comes to mind is the cringeworthy rap in Gentleman by The Saturdays. I mean it would be bad enough anyway, but Larry King/The Jonas Brothers/Denzel Washington/Kanye West/Weezy/Ludacris :confused:

They could at least have chosen some names a bit more relevant to their audience e.g. One Direction or Benedict Cumberbatch! But I would have just cut out the name-dropping altogether. Whichever names you choose, it will sound so dated in five years time.

I do agree. The bit in the middle ruins the song.
  • Options
    SweetHeartHollySweetHeartHolly Posts: 1,565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To me "A Good Time For A Good Time" from my most favorite singer James Otto is only ruined when it is done live because of how the crowd is allowed to "join in".

God bless you and James always!!! :):):)

Holly

P.S. To me, if something is not broken, how can it be fixed?
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always used to be irritated by the singalong chorus in the middle of Back Seat Of My Car by Wings. Top tune otherwise.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    What About Us - The Saturdays -> Sean Paul's rap ruins it. I prefer the version without the rap
    Anywhere With You - The Saturdays -> ruined by the random rapper in the song
  • Options
    bbclassicsbbclassics Posts: 7,806
    Forum Member
    This may not be a popular choice but I always skip over the rap bit in Feel Good Inc (Gorillaz) - it's the chorus in the song that makes it great imo.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    scratchy23 wrote: »
    I was listening to Ready For Your Love by Gorgon City today and realised how awful the "stars burn bright" bit is compared to the rest of the song. In my opinion it ruins the song. Still love it though.

That's my favourite bit!

You can't beat a 'generic middle 8 rap' to completely ruin a song, I was shocked to realise I like Confident by Justin Bieber but the rap in that is awful

The same for Katy Perry's Dark Horse
  • Options
    misslibertinemisslibertine Posts: 14,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kryskrys wrote: »
    . Whichever names you choose, it will sound so dated in five years time.

Didn't even make it past the one-year mark when they included Lamar Odom....
  • Options
    StratusSphereStratusSphere Posts: 2,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    smfan123 wrote: »
    That's my favourite bit!

You can't beat a 'generic middle 8 rap' to completely ruin a song, I was shocked to realise I like Confident by Justin Bieber but the rap in that is awful

The same for Katy Perry's Dark Horse

Absolutely!
    "You can be my Sleeping Beauty, I'mma put you in a coma"
    ...what? how is that romantic in any sense? or sexy, whatever
  • Options
    floogfloog Posts: 981
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mott The Hoople - Roll Away the Stone: a great song ruined by a rubbish middle eight.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The most obvious example has to be Brighton Rock by Queen – what could have been a driving, melodic track, sabotaged by a dull, self-indulgent guitar solo in the middle.
  • Options
    misslibertinemisslibertine Posts: 14,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Absolutely!
    "You can be my Sleeping Beauty, I'mma put you in a coma"
    ...what? how is that romantic in any sense? or sexy, whatever

The playful reference to Jeffrey Dahmer is a lovely touch too.
  • Options
    Grabid RanniesGrabid Rannies Posts: 4,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any non-rap song EVER with a 'rap bit' in it.

Apart from Rapture by Blondie, American Life by Madonna, and Gimme All Your Luvin by Madonna.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any non-rap song EVER with a 'rap bit' in it.
    And any rap song with a rap bit in it.
  • Options
    ashtray88ashtray88 Posts: 1,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't see the point of Big Sean's rap in Jessie J's "Alive." Dizzie's rap is ok though.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Easy answer for me - the guitar break added to the single version of "My Immortal" by Evanescence.

A truly beautiful piano ballad on the album that showcases Amy Lee's vocal range perfectly but for some reason they decide to ruin it for the single release.
  • Options
    JEFF62JEFF62 Posts: 5,102
    Forum Member
    That awful humming bit in the middle of Dub Be Good To Me. And the this is jam hot bit. I recorded this off the radio when it was out then edited it so it just had the female vocals only and nothing else! It sounded so much better!
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    'Baby It's You' by The Shirelles.......

That awful screeching instrumental bit at about 1.40.....thankfully it only lasts about 10 seconds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8clnxViHdp8
  • Options
    warszawawarszawa Posts: 4,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whole Lotta Love's daft bit. And the intro to Stone Roses' Breaking into Heaven.
  • Options
    big bro geekbig bro geek Posts: 18,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brave heart by Neon Jungle and On The Floor by J-Lo did not need the silly rap bits. I bought the versions without them.
  • Options
    humbug333humbug333 Posts: 610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Every Cilla Black song was ruined when she opened her gob
  • Options
    ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    Easy answer for me - the guitar break added to the single version of "My Immortal" by Evanescence.

A truly beautiful piano ballad on the album that showcases Amy Lee's vocal range perfectly but for some reason they decide to ruin it for the single release.

I've seen them live, and they did the heavier version, as I call it and it was one of the best songs they did, which was odd for me because I loved most of Fallen, but was never a big fan of the two ballads.
  • Options
    mark e amark e a Posts: 2,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    THe weird trumpet music sections in Pretend Best Friend by Terrorvision

The rap sections in Manchild by Neneh Cherry
  • Options
    DiveInDiveIn Posts: 617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nicole scherzinger your love: the bridge
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hey That's No Way To Say Goodbye - Leonard Cohen, where the female backing singers suddenly destroy the mood of the song with their silly bing-bong backing.