Golf 2014

Comments

• big bro geekbig bro geek Posts: 18,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just a thought. If Scotland vote yes would that mean the Open would have to be in England/Wales from 2016 onwards?(or whenever the independence date is). It is the "British Open".

Or it will be ok? Portrush is N.I. Which isn't in Great Britain
  • *Sparkle**Sparkle* Posts: 10,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Regardless of the vote, Scotland will remain part of the land mass known as Great Britain.
  • croftercrofter Posts: 2,976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just a thought. If Scotland vote yes would that mean the Open would have to be in England/Wales from 2016 onwards?(or whenever the independence date is). It is the "British Open".

Or it will be ok? Portrush is N.I. Which isn't in Great Britain

Already been discussed:
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1985566

basically it is simply "The Open Championship" run by the R&A who are based in St. Andrews. It is really only foreigners who call it The British Open.
  • Mark FMark F Posts: 53,875
    Forum Member
    All that low scoring was pretty impressive - showed the quality at the top of the leader board..

Glad McIlroy held on. though.
  • David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great to see Rory winning and the fact that he played tactically and won will not have escaped him. I personally think he will learn a lot from this victory.

The BBC commentators were at pains to tell us that Rory's game is built around his driver and that may well be true - but his success hinges on his efforts with his putter. At Hoylake he was putting as well as I've ever seen him.

All that said, It would have been an interesting tussle if Adam Scott had been in the morning group on Thursday. I think the weather conditions meant that there was at least a 3 shot swing over the first two days between the two groups of starters.
  • SirMickTravisSirMickTravis Posts: 2,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't know whether I 'like' Rory but he's the player I most enjoy watching at the moment because when he's 'on' he's really ON. Watching Tiger - even at his best - always felt like a bit of an ordeal. Rory's languid style is more like Ernie's and easier on the eye to my mind.
  • irishfeenirishfeen Posts: 10,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great win for Rory... N. Ireland yet again to the fore on world golf's stage which is exceptionally impressive - great for Irish and British sport alike.
  • Wallasey SaintWallasey Saint Posts: 7,621
    Forum Member
    Dustin Johnson is taking indefinite leave from Golf for personal challenges. http://www.golfchannel.com/news/golf-central-blog/d-johnson-taking-indefinite-leave-personal-challenges/
  • GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's a bit of a shocker. Clearly a statement that leaves more questions than answers.
    Forum Member
    That's a bit of a shocker. Clearly a statement that leaves more questions than answers.

Indeed hope he sorts himself out as hre's one of those you want to watch when he's on form.

Tiger Woods meanwhilst having a mare at Firestone & showing his frustrations.
  • jake1981jake1981 Posts: 5,714
    Forum Member
    Reports suggesting Dustin Johnson has been suspended for failing a drugs test have been denied by the PGA Tour.
    On Thursday, the big-hitting American announced he was taking time out of the game to confront "personal challenges".
    Johnson, 30, is serving a six-month suspension after testing positive for cocaine, reported Golf.com.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/golf/28619405
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why are they covering up for him?? Kind of says to all golfers that even if caught taking hard drugs the PGA will cover their arse and they will simply get a wee holiday.

Naming and shaming would act as more of a deterrent - this may actually be the 2nd ban handed out to him as his first "injury" was a sham exposed by Vijay Singh not so long ago ... the players will no doubt know the truth here.
    Forum Member
    crofter wrote: »
    Why are they covering up for him?? Kind of says to all golfers that even if caught taking hard drugs the PGA will cover their arse and they will simply get a wee holiday.

Naming and shaming would act as more of a deterrent - this may actually be the 2nd ban handed out to him as his first "injury" was a sham exposed by Vijay Singh not so long ago ... the players will no doubt know the truth here.

That's the problem as the statement is quite vague, if Dustin Johnson came out & said why he's taking indefinite leave then no one would be speculating the reason why.

Because of Thunderstorms forecast for later today the tee times have been altered for round 3, first tee times are between 7am-9am local time[12 & 2pm UK time] & it's 3 ball rather than 2 ball
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see Tiger has withdrawn from the World Golf Championships with a lower back problem - must be serious questions about his future in the game. Maybe his body is saying enough ...

It will be interesting to see if it is the same problem he has been blighted with. His season is pretty much done so 6 months rest might be the best thing he can do.
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Johnson’s coach, Butch Harmon, had earlier told Sky Sports 4: “One of the problems that the Tour has … is that, if they do impose sanctions, they don’t tell anybody about it."

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/aug/02/dustin-johnson-not-suspended-pga-tour

The European Ryder Cup captain, Paul McGinley, added: “PGA Tour policy is to keep things in house and give away very few details, but it’s a very risky policy....”
  • GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rory killing Sergio in this final round. Difference between a good and great golfer.
  • Thomas007Thomas007 Posts: 14,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Might as well hand Rory the USPGA now as well. No one else is winning that.

Woods looks more and more likely that he will finish with 14 majors. I'll be extremely surprised if Rory keeps himself healthy he doesn't surpass that. I reckon Rory's got a great chance of doing the slam next year if his form remains.
  • DUNDEEBOYDUNDEEBOY Posts: 109,962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thomas007 wrote: »

Woods looks more and more likely that he will finish with 14 majors. I'll be extremely surprised if Rory keeps himself healthy he doesn't surpass that. I reckon Rory's got a great chance of doing the slam next year if his form remains.

He is in great form at the moment but you just don't know what's round the corner, the uspga sometimes throws up strange winners.

Rightful place as world number 1 on current form, Scott was never the best player in the world

I agree woods is finished, doubt you will see him for about six months.

He may even retire
  • Xavier QuebeckXavier Quebeck Posts: 78,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Woods is 38!! He won't retire. That's the most ridiculous comment I have ever read. Once he is over his injury, he will be back and will contend for majors over the next few years.
  • DUNDEEBOYDUNDEEBOY Posts: 109,962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Woods is 38!! He won't retire. That's the most ridiculous comment I have ever read. Once he is over his injury, he will be back and will contend for majors over the next few years.

Maybe retiring is unlikely but he may play a very light schedule , can't see him contending for majors anymore
  • Thomas007Thomas007 Posts: 14,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DUNDEEBOY wrote: »
    He is in great form at the moment but you just don't know what's round the corner, the uspga sometimes throws up strange winners.

Rightful place as world number 1 on current form, Scott was never the best player in the world

I personally hope he doesn't win the USPGA, the hype will be ridiculous and I don't want another Woods type dominating the world of golf running away with major championships.

Monty's getting on the act now:
    2014 wrote:
    PGA Championship: Rory McIlroy the ONLY man I see winning admits Colin Montgomerie

Former Ryder Cup captain is convinced the Northern Irishman will make it back-to-back Majors at Valhalla next week if he maintains his Open form

The Scot said: “If you had money then you’d put it on to win, I wouldn’t worry about the each-way bet. I’d put it on Rory to win.

“I’m as confident of Rory winning at Valhalla as one of Tiger’s victories in 2000 when he won four in a row. If he plays well and plays in that relaxed way he did at The Open, I’m convinced he’ll win at Valhalla.”

Montgomerie reckons on current form McIlroy should take his Major haul to four on Sunday and into double figures before turning 30.

“I can’t see anybody beating him at Valhalla. That will be four Majors and we’re well on our way then to 10 in three or four years.

“There’s nothing stopping Rory McIlroy getting to 10 Majors in three or four years, nothing at all, he’s simply that good.”

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/golf/2014-pga-championship-rory-mcilroy-3972113

So there you have it, the bookies must be scared shitless. He's priced at 5-1 or 9/2 which I think is ridiculously long. IMO should be evens or odds on. If the 'experts' are right then Rory's almost a cert to win the USPGA next week. Why he's being priced at those odds on this form I have absolutely no idea, the bookies must be crazy, but they do have a habit of making money for a reason so perhaps they are confident that Rory isn't as much of a shoo in as what these pundits are telling us.

Both Monty and Tony Jacklin are convinced he's going to surpass Nicklaus.
  • HaydenHayden Posts: 32,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thomas007 wrote: »

Golf doesn't work like that though does it?
    So many good players that you just can't be that certain and the USPGA is known for throwing up the odd shock - Rich Beem, Y.E Yang etc.

McIlroy will rightly be a strong favourite though.
  • detroitcitydetroitcity Posts: 4,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see Tiger's been given an extension and has until 10 minutes before he is due to tee off to decide whether he is going to play this week.

That's a bit unfair on the first alternate imo. I hope he doesn't decide to play then walk off after a few holes.
  • dazcdazc Posts: 4,070
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    seen Watson has picked striker as vice captain does that rule him out as a player
  • detroitcitydetroitcity Posts: 4,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dazc wrote: »
    seen Watson has picked striker as vice captain does that rule him out as a player

No but he would need to win the PGA this week.

He plays a very limited schedule nowadays, nowhere near enough really to get into serious contention for an automatic place.