Options

Will Torchwood now be better than Doctor Who?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 284
Forum Member
Seems a bigger budget and going to be on an ‘international scale’ with the American funding behind the new series of Torchwood is there a possibility it could be bigger, better and more successful than the Moff led, budget cut, BBC Who?

Comments

• Options
    Inky BinkyInky Binky Posts: 2,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seems a bigger budget and going to be on an ‘international scale’ with the American funding behind the new series of Torchwood is there a possibility it could be bigger, better and more successful than the Moff led, budget cut, BBC Who?

Time will tell. We'll just have to wait and see until it airs on TV. My hopes are high that this will turn out pretty good. It seems that everyone who has been involved with "Torchwood" behind the scenes these past few years is involved in this newest one. And yeah, there are some big changes but sometimes change is good. So I'm very optimistic. :)
  • Options
    tingramretrotingramretro Posts: 10,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Bigger does not necessarily mean better. The budget cuts haven't adversely affected Doctor Who in my opinion (in fact, I thought the latest series looked far more cinematic than the previous four and gave the impression more money had been spent on it) so I don't see why it should suffer in comparison to an Americanised Torchwood: far from it, in fact, as I'm dreading the prospect of an 'international' TW...
  • Options
    LightningIguanaLightningIguana Posts: 21,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I'm looking forward to it, sometimes I feel like I'm the only one. I just hope there's a cracking story rather than throwing all the budget into effects. Mind you, I'm partial to those, too:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 325
    Forum Member
    Some people think Torchwood is already better than Dr Who. And a larger canvas on which to paint the global story can only be a good thing. Bring on Torchwood 4!:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,139
    Forum Member
    Well I'm looking forward to it, sometimes I feel like I'm the only one. I just hope there's a cracking story rather than throwing all the budget into effects. Mind you, I'm partial to those, too:D

No you're not - I'm really looking forward to TW4
  • Options
    Forum Member

Deleted - cat caused double post. I guess he must be excited too.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 147
    Forum Member
    I dunno, I think budget cuts actually work in the favour of a show like Dr Who. Provided they're not cut down to an absolute shoe-string it should mean more invention and less reliance on spectacle. I mean, that single dismembered Cyberman in "The Pandorica Opens" was much cooler than the whole armies that've turned up in previous episodes.

The same goes for Torchwood: I hope they aim for making it as well written as Children of Earth was, rather than just going for bigger special effects.
  • Options
    TalmaTalma Posts: 10,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I dunno, I think budget cuts actually work in the favour of a show like Dr Who. Provided they're not cut down to an absolute shoe-string it should mean more invention and less reliance on spectacle. I mean, that single dismembered Cyberman in "The Pandorica Opens" was much cooler than the whole armies that've turned up in previous episodes.

The same goes for Torchwood: I hope they aim for making it as well written as Children of Earth was, rather than just going for bigger special effects.

Sometimes smaller scale is more frightening as it brings it closer to home...like when you see something out of the corner of your eye rather than have it come straight at you.
  • Options
    sonic157sonic157 Posts: 982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It all depends what you want. It could be bigger and more successful and still be awful. I've always preferred Dr Who to Torchwood anyway. I'm not very optimistic.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    and going to be on an ‘international scale’

But Doctor Who is on a Intergalactic Scale.

Or do you mean the crew working on it?
  • Options
    f_196f_196 Posts: 11,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why do they have to be compared? They both have different target audiences, both with different themes. What constitutes "better" for one amongst the other?
  • Options
    andy1231andy1231 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    I enjoy both programmes but they are aimed at different audiences. Dr Who is a show that is seen by tens of millions across the globe, Torchwood has a much smalled audience. I don't think that Torchwood will ever exceed the popularity of The Doctor but that doesn't mean that as a programme it can't excell. I am realy looking forward to the new series.
  • Options
    Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    f_196 wrote: »
    Why do they have to be compared? They both have different target audiences, both with different themes. What constitutes "better" for one amongst the other?

You see, this is why I find Torchwood having a Doctor Who link problematic.
    Doctor Who is a PG-rated family show, yet Torchwood is an adult show with graphic sex (Day one), swearing, and gory violence. I don't know any other examples of this on TV.

It's like having a "Spongebob Squarepants" spin-off where Patrick becomes addicted to heroin while having an
    extra-martial affair.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 284
    Forum Member
    i agree - i think RTD (and the BBC) will have loyalty to Doctor Who and now with the new funding it will probably move away from being linked with the show and become a stand alone series. I wouldn't mind an appearence by Matt Smith though - or even bring, dare I say it, Martha back on board! :)
  • Options
    tingramretrotingramretro Posts: 10,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's like having a "Spongebob Squarepants" spin-off where Patrick becomes addicted to heroin while having an
    extra-martial affair.

Ah, so you've also seen the leaked storyboards for the proposed 'Spongebob Nopants' series, then!:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    andy1231 wrote: »
    I enjoy both programmes but they are aimed at different audiences. Dr Who is a show that is seen by tens of millions across the globe, Torchwood has a much smalled audience. I don't think that Torchwood will ever exceed the popularity of The Doctor but that doesn't mean that as a programme it can't excell. I am realy looking forward to the new series.

'Much Smaller'? I am sure it is somewhere around 5-7 Million Overall per episode.
    Doctor Who is a PG-rated family show, yet Torchwood is an adult show with graphic sex (Day one), swearing, and gory violence. I don't know any other examples of this on TV.

But that was only the first Series. By the middle of the second series, it has died down.
  • Options
    daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really think it's a case of wait until I see it for me. I can't judge on what I haven't seen. I've enjoyed Torchwood immensely over the 3 Series it's been on, the only disadvantage it has on Doctor Who is off course it's limited to Cardiff and Surrounding Areas whereas Doctor Who can go any time and place it pleases. Saying that, the quality of a lot of the episodes more than makes up for this.

Whether the new Torchwood will better than Doctor Who depends on the scripts and strength of any new characters. I have to admit I don't like comparing the two as they are aimed at two different audiences and as a spin-off, I childishly have to admit, I don't think it ever should be better than Doctor Who! :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    f_196 wrote: »

I agree they are very different to each other...and comparing them is quite pointless...

extra-martial affair.

Yet series 2 calm down on that series three hardly featured it....well some gore...but not much....so it doesn't really stand....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I meant much smaller as in a global audience but I think the viewing figures for Children Of The Earth were around the 4 - 5 million mark.
  • Options
    Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
    Forum Member
    COE was easily on par with it, exceeded the specials, if the next series is even better, then possibly, it's a lot harder to call with such big changes coming though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    andy1231 wrote: »
    I meant much smaller as in a global audience but I think the viewing figures for Children Of The Earth were around the 4 - 5 million mark.

Actually more around 6million which is pretty amazing for summer TV and according to RTD surprised the BBC
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 123
    Forum Member
    with matt smith in doctor who, torchwood is miles better
  • Options
    sonic157sonic157 Posts: 982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Doctor Who is a PG-rated family show, yet Torchwood is an adult show ....

It would be better if the link were broken now that RTD is no longer connected with Dr Who. It's not going to happen in the minds of fans as Jack was written into DW by Moffat.

No matter how big the budget, Torchwood isn't going to appeal to as wide audience.
  • Options
    Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    crazzyaz7 wrote: »
    Yet series 2 calm down on that series three hardly featured it....well some gore...but not much....so it doesn't really stand....

Aye, but without wanting to sound like a NVLA member, the stuff in Torchwood is quite strong and I feel a little uncomfortable with having it linked with DW.

It was especially problematic when they do crossovers-Martha guests in Torchwood and RTD says "We won't having her swearing in case her younger fans are watching..." and then have the characters around Martha drop expletives as normal. :confused:

Also in "The Stolen Earth/Journey's End"_ "Hi little kiddies! Here's a guest appearance from Gwen and Ianto, two
    characters from a show you aren't legally allowed to watch! Enjoy!"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Aye, but without wanting to sound like a NVLA member, the stuff in Torchwood is quite strong and I feel a little uncomfortable with having it linked with DW.

It was especially problematic when they do crossovers-Martha guests in Torchwood and RTD says "We won't having her swearing in case her younger fans are watching..." and then have the characters around Martha drop expletives as normal. :confused:

Also in "The Stolen Earth/Journey's End"_ "Hi little kiddies! Here's a guest appearance from Gwen and Ianto, two
    characters from a show you aren't legally allowed to watch! Enjoy!"

Who says it was illegal for it to be watched by children ?. The DVD set is rated 15 but just because the programme was broadcast after the watershed doesnt mean to say it was illegal for children to watch it.