Options

kinda worried about Torchwood...

freezboob21freezboob21 Posts: 72
Forum Member
i am looking forward to the new series of Torchwood however, is it actually a "re-boot"?

i know everyone is saying it is but do they just mean their giving it a new era or is it actually going to be ignoring the previous series and start a fresh?

I would be disapointed in RTD if it is because i think he did an amazing job reviving doctor who without rebooting it.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't worry about the torchwood. I cannot remember where I read it however from what I can tell it's going to still be the torchwood you either love or hate (personally loved the first three series of torchwood) however I think they will just do a reboot of the team.
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I would be disapointed in RTD if it is because i think he did an amazing job reviving doctor who without rebooting it.

As far as I can see the situation is pretty much the same as DW was in 2005.

Same character(s) as previous series' but we catch up with them a number of years after we last saw them.
  • Options
    nebogipfelnebogipfel Posts: 8,375
    Forum Member
    Why are the natives of Deva Loka worried about it?
  • Options
    TalmaTalma Posts: 10,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mind you asRTD comprehensively destroyed both the HQ and team personnel of the first 2 series (only leaving the most irritating of them, as far as I'm concerned) and had Jack leaving Earth, apparantly for good, It'll be interesting to see how far any of that is referred to or if it's all just glossed over as 'Jack has second thoughts, comes back and is now cheerful again despite everyone & everything he loved going west, more or less at his own hand, and starts again with new, interesting and dynamic people(oh, and Gwen)'.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 325
    Forum Member
    According to the Starz series synopsis, Jack returns because of a new, epic danger to planet Earth.

Torchwood 4 will be a continuation of the Torchwood series, it's not a reboot as such. With RTD and Julie Gardner in charge, and John and Eve back as Jack and Gwen, I have no worries. And have you seen the amazing writers they've got? I'm confident it will be absolutely terrific.
  • Options
    Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It isn't actually a reboot as such, it's just set a few years down the line, the events of Torchwood we saw all happened, but Torchwood has become thought of as a bit of a myth, as it were.

Anyway, I remember people making any number of ridiculous comments about Chidren of Earth on here and that turned out to be the best thing on TV all year!
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agreed, it is NOT a reboot at all. TW has not been re-imgined, The past TW history has not been erased or rewritten. It's just the story moved on a few years with additional characters.
  • Options
    MulettMulett Posts: 9,057
    Forum Member
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    Anyway, I remember people making any number of ridiculous comments about Chidren of Earth on here and that turned out to be the best thing on TV all year!

Agreed - and it reached a far broader audience than previously. I have mates who never watch Who or Torchwood (I don't know why they're mates, to be honest) but who watched all five episode of Children of Earth and loved it.

I wouldn't be surprised if RTD hopes to recreate that success when Torchwood returns. I guess my question is just about scheduling - will the new episodes be shown on BBC1 again?
  • Options
    TalmaTalma Posts: 10,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mind you I'm one of the few who didn't like Children of Earth and one of the more who don't like Gwen, so I'm not very hopeful anyway!:)
  • Options
    tingramretrotingramretro Posts: 10,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nebogipfel wrote: »
    Why are the natives of Deva Loka worried about it?

Because aside from watching TV, there's not much to do on Deva Loka.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm just worried that they're setting it up to be a solely American show and Jack and Gwen are in it for the launch. It just worked so well in Cardiff, but then again it did in London too.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dizx wrote: »
    I'm just worried that they're setting it up to be a solely American show and Jack and Gwen are in it for the launch. It just worked so well in Cardiff, but then again it did in London too.

Apparently the threat will be global, which means that they are going to be set not just in Wales and America, but other countries too...and it seems the theme of COE will continue in which the humans seem to be the real monsters....
  • Options
    performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not really a reboot, it definitely follows directly on from 'Children of Earth', it's set 2 years after those events (which makes sense seeing as it will air 2 years after that aired)