Options

The Thompson Twins appreciation thread

Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,185
Forum Member
✭✭
Fair enough, I do only really like a few of their songs, but the ones I do like are long term favourites.

One of their songs, 'Doctor! Doctor!' is one of those rare songs I heard that have blown me away on my first listening. I was actually lying dozing in the bath back in the day, with the radio on as background noise, when I first heard it. For some reason the song always brought to mind the now ancient arcade game 'Battlezone'. It was only when I gained access to YouTube that I actually got to view the song's video, and it does indeed feature a bleak landscape cluttered with geometric shapes (as does 'Battlezone'):-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APyl6Cnbfzw

Downright eerie, that....

Anyway, I still continue listening to (some of) their music, and I suspect I'll never tire of it completely (like other artists such as Blondie, ELO, Status Quo etc.).

Anyone else like their music, or are they pretty much forgotten now?

Comments

• Options
    Gigi4Gigi4 Posts: 3,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of my favourite 80's groups! I think if they are sort of forgotten it's because they have no interest in reuniting and don't tour or release new music like a lot of the other 80's acts.
    But I definitely remember them and enjoy their music.
  • Options
    Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah... I seem to remember reading something (somewhere!) about how the former group members don't rate the music they made in the Thompson Twins at all. They consider it all a joke. If I didn't just dream that, I think they're doing themselves a disservice. They put out some excellent songs imo.