OneDrive launched

call100call100 Posts: 7,278
Forum Member
Looks like the roll out of OneDrive has commenced. Dropbox style rewards system and extra space for camera back up included.
New tag line....OneDrive, OneGoal, OneVision......Not bad...Hope they manage to keep this one...:)

Comments

• MeanMintMeanMint Posts: 454
    Forum Member
    I hope Queen don't find out about that Tagline as they may want to take MS to court like Sky did.
  • plateletplatelet Posts: 26,376
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fried chicken
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    MeanMint wrote: »
    I hope Queen don't find out about that Tagline as they may want to take MS to court like Sky did.

Queen as in the band? :p
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Queen as in the band? :p

Yep. Think about it...
    platelet wrote: »
    fried chicken

Exactly.
  • paulj48paulj48 Posts: 1,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's no support for a desktop app for XP or Vista as far as I can see
  • MeanMintMeanMint Posts: 454
    Forum Member
    Don't bother even attempting to use the desktop app. Just use it via your browser. The uploads are quicker.
    Forum Member
    mred2000 wrote: »
    Yep. Think about it...

I'm sorry, I don't quite understand the connection... :confused:
  • call100call100 Posts: 7,278
    Forum Member

Hilarious..............Really?:o
  • plateletplatelet Posts: 26,376
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9yWvyr91vc
    Forum Member
    call100 wrote: »
    Hilarious..............Really?:o

I don't know a lot of Queen songs. I know a few:

Don't Stop Me Now
    We Are The Champions
    We Will Rock You
    I Want To Break Free
    Another One Bites The Dust
    Radio Ga Ga
    Bicycle
    Bohemian Rhapsody
    platelet wrote: »

Erm ok... I think I get it now :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    paulj48 wrote: »
    There's no support for a desktop app for XP or Vista as far as I can see

Fine for Vista, but not XP
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like the roll out of OneDrive has commenced. Dropbox style rewards system and extra space for camera back up included.
    New tag line....OneDrive, OneGoal, OneVision......Not bad...Hope they manage to keep this one...:)

No good to me as it don't work with Linux, so their one drive one place is a load of rubbish.

Also they still got this stupid thing in windows 8.1 in having to having your computer permanently logged into their servers. windows 8 it is possible to use a app, just like Dropbox.
  • PaulS67PaulS67 Posts: 12,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good to see it go live and the additional 3 GB of space is a nice bonus

Works great for me and keeps everything in sync
  • call100call100 Posts: 7,278
    Forum Member
    noise747 wrote: »
    No good to me as it don't work with Linux, so their one drive one place is a load of rubbish.

Also they still got this stupid thing in windows 8.1 in having to having your computer permanently logged into their servers. windows 8 it is possible to use a app, just like Dropbox.

You do know that it's not compulsory, don't you?
    As you are using Linux. I don't think it's aimed at you. Hard to see why it would be rubbish just because you are using a different OS. If you did want to use it you can log in online without having your PC permanently logged into their servers....
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    working well here, nice setup.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paulsalter wrote: »
    Good to see it go live and the additional 3 GB of space is a nice bonus

Works great for me and keeps everything in sync

I have 25GB on mine, i can't remember how I got it, i got one file on it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You do know that it's not compulsory, don't you?

Yes, but it would be nice if they made the app compatible with windows 8.1 so you don't have to link your computer into their systems to use onedrive.
    As you are using Linux. I don't think it's aimed at you. Hard to see why it would be rubbish just because you are using a different OS. If you did want to use it you can log in online without having your PC permanently logged into their servers....

I do use windows as well and they have produced a a app for Android, IOS and their windows phone. but if it is not accessible via a app on linux, then it is not really one drive for eveything.
    I can understand then pushing it for windows, since Windows is their OS, but why make it more difficult for peopel to get their data when using another OS?

Saying all of that Google drive also don't come with a linux app, which surprised me, in fact very few do.

Oh well, such is life.

I only use Dropbox for a couple of files anyway, i am not really into this cloudy stuff.
  • FlyinBrickFlyinBrick Posts: 1,571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks useful. I've never really liked dropbox, Google drive is ok.

But as this integrates with Office 365 it might be what I'm looking for. Something that integrates with Office and is backed up in the cloud could be very useful to me for my small business.

If it works ok on my phone and android tablet then it will be a big boon. I have a months free trial on 365 so nothing to lose.
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The photo backup/sync is very handy to have on my PC. With my phone I use the photobucket app to take pictures and they get uploaded to a photobucket account so OneDrive is another nice free backup to have.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FlyinBrick wrote: »

Dropbox does what I want and have a App for linux, plus Android. the only downer about dropbox for some people is the limited storage.
    But as this integrates with Office 365 it might be what I'm looking for. Something that integrates with Office and is backed up in the cloud could be very useful to me for my small business.
    i can understand how that could be useful.
    If it works ok on my phone and android tablet then it will be a big boon. I have a months free trial on 365 so nothing to lose.

True, may as well go for it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    neo_wales wrote: »
    The photo backup/sync is very handy to have on my PC. With my phone I use the photobucket app to take pictures and they get uploaded to a photobucket account so OneDrive is another nice free backup to have.

Can that be switched off? I presume it can be as someone may not want every picture being synced or they may be say in another country where network charges will apply.

Just interested.
  • psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    Can that be switched off? I presume it can be as someone may not want every picture being synced or they may be say in another country where network charges will apply.

Just interested.

I presume it's the same as before and you can turn off things you don't want to sync.
  • Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's Skydrive renamed because Sky took legal action.
  • scooby1970scooby1970 Posts: 2,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FlyinBrick wrote: »

Google Drive is ideal for business, I work for a large company who use it plus we deal with numerous other companies who have switched to Google for documents. As a small business, Google Docs should be more than ideal (considering I work with large companies who are using it).

I use Dropbox for all my photo backups as I have 50gb of storage on that. Don't really think I'll have much use for OneDrive at this point, don't tend to use Microsoft products much these days anyways, or their programs.

:) Mark
  • henrywilliams58henrywilliams58 Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    scooby1970 wrote: »
    Google Drive is ideal for business, I work for a large company who use it plus we deal with numerous other companies who have switched to Google for documents. As a small business, Google Docs should be more than ideal (considering I work with large companies who are using it).

I use Dropbox for all my photo backups as I have 50gb of storage on that. Don't really think I'll have much use for OneDrive at this point, don't tend to use Microsoft products much these days anyways, or their programs.

:) Mark

Me too. Just switched my XP Netbook to Linux and have even deleted XP from it to free up space.

I have Dropbox for documents and Google Drive for GDcs and images.

Though it might be useful to use for off-site back-up if it is going free.

Had to create a Microsoft account for the privilege.

Signed up and got my 7 GB. It will be useful as a means to transfer images from my phone to computer seamlessly. And that's and extra 3 GB.

It is on my Android now ;-)

Turned on camera backup for an extra 3 GB - but no sign of it.

Thanks for the heads up.