Options

What is a SSD?

What is a SSD?

Comments

• Options
    flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    a solid state drive is a type of hard disk that has no moving parts and is therefore faster.

it uses a kind of flash memory a bit like a large SD card rather than a spinning disk. it offers a significant performance increase in certain areas, particularly booting up and launching applications.
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,531
    Forum Member
    Yeah, a giant SD card or memory stick, flash memory packaged so that it can replace a normal hard drive in a computer. Much faster than hard drives but lower capacities and fewer GBytes for your pound.

A hybrid SSD has an SSD and hard drive packaged together, a bit of the best of both Worlds.
  • Options
    FlyinBrickFlyinBrick Posts: 1,571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also worth bearing in mind that a SSD can be dropped and not suffer any damage to the stored information unlike a normal hard drive.

As has been said boot times are incredibly quick, and they also use less power and are silent. They are more expensive than conventional HD's and have smaller capacities, though this is expected to change over the coming years.
  • Options
    LION8TIGERLION8TIGER Posts: 8,484
    Forum Member
    FlyinBrick wrote: »
    Also worth bearing in mind that a SSD can be dropped and not suffer any damage to the stored information unlike a normal hard drive.

I wouldn't like to put that to a rigorous test, how high onto a stone or concrete floor, though I'm sure they would fare better than a conventional hard drive .
  • Options
    FlyinBrickFlyinBrick Posts: 1,571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LION8TIGER wrote: »
    I wouldn't like to put that to a rigorous test, how high onto a stone or concrete floor, though I'm sure they would fare better than a conventional hard drive .

As long as the internal integrity of the circuitry is not damaged, and the same goes for the connections, then it will be fine.

the reason standard HD's suffer from shock damage is due to the fact that the head readers are incredibly close to the platters. So much so that even a single particle of smoke could damage the heads if it was trapped between the reader head and the platter.

The thing is with an SSD is that there are no heads, just solid state circuitry, so as long as that wasn't compromised it will be fine.

I'd not worry a single jot about dropping an SSD from 1 Metre, but do the same with a Normal HD and you can often kiss it goodbye.
  • Options
    flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    LION8TIGER wrote: »
    FlyinBrick wrote: »
    As long as the internal integrity of the circuitry is not damaged, and the same goes for the connections, then it will be fine.

the reason standard HD's suffer from shock damage is due to the fact that the head readers are incredibly close to the platters. So much so that even a single particle of smoke could damage the heads if it was trapped between the reader head and the platter.

The thing is with an SSD is that there are no heads, just solid state circuitry, so as long as that wasn't compromised it will be fine.

I'd not worry a single jot about dropping an SSD from 1 Metre, but do the same with a Normal HD and you can often kiss it goodbye.

i think what it mostly means is that if you drop your computer it wont be the disk that stops it working.

dropping an ssd 1m on to something hard would most likely break it.

it's not just dropping it though. there many applications where vibration is an important consideration.
  • Options
    IzakIzak Posts: 3,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My MacBook Air has SSD and is absolutely brilliant. The startup speed is incredible and everything is so much quicker. I wouldn't want to go back to a standard HDD for a main drive now.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Izak wrote: »
    My MacBook Air has SSD and is absolutely brilliant. The startup speed is incredible and everything is so much quicker. I wouldn't want to go back to a standard HDD for a main drive now.

I can imagine everything you've said above to be true. Rather than waiting for the disc to make a revolution, the data can be accessed as fast as the signal can get to it. The SSD is the 'broadband' that everyone's been waiting for. That includes me. :D