Warm Home Allowance

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,902
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I've just, tonight, heard of the existense of this, but not had any other details other than you need to put your application in fast because it's limited insofar as how many people will qualify, whether they fulfill the criteria or not.

I'm sure my elderly (85 year old) disabled mother will qualify but don't know where to apply for it. Should I apply via her provider (British Gas) or is it via some Government body?

I'll be very grateful for any help.

Comments

• fondantfancyfondantfancy Posts: 3,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know how you apply but I do know that British Gas is the only supplier who will give it to every single person who qualifies - so well done them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know how you apply but I do know that British Gas is the only supplier who will give it to every single person who qualifies - so well done them.

Yes it sounds good news but doing a search the link on BG ends up in a holding page so there is no direct links where a person can apply.

The link was http://www.britishgas.co.uk/support but clicking on it redirects to http://www.britishgas.info/

they don't exactly bend over themselves to help people find it so you have to wonder how many people do they help.

Its called ' Warm home discount scheme 2011 '
  • Its-GillianIts-Gillian Posts: 3,130
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Try direct gov, i think but don't quote me, it's something to do with them!
  • Ripper666Ripper666 Posts: 65
    Forum Member
    There's info on it here.

It's only for people on the Guarantee Credit element of Pension Credit, people who have Pension Credit that includes Savings Credit or who don't have Pension Credit at all don't qualify (it does advise that some providers will pay to people without Guarantee Credit if they think they would qualify but that's up to the provider).
  • scorpio manscorpio man Posts: 4,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From what I have heard, anyone on means tested benefits will be eligible for the payment.
    All energy companies are paying but there is a limit to the total payments made so when the moneys gone it's gone. EXCEPT for British Gas, they will pay out indefinitely.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 211
    Forum Member
    From what I have heard, anyone on means tested benefits will be eligible for the payment.
    All energy companies are paying but there is a limit to the total payments made so when the moneys gone it's gone. EXCEPT for British Gas, they will pay out indefinitely.

I think this is true as I was told by an advisor from BG that I was eligible (I'd never even heard of it). They were even nice enough to go through everything with me over the phone and get it sorted. I was told that I should get a one off payment of £130 by early 2012 and it will either be credited directly to my BG account or sent as a cheque.
  • SherbetLemonSherbetLemon Posts: 4,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes it sounds good news but doing a search the link on BG ends up in a holding page so there is no direct links where a person can apply.

The link was http://www.britishgas.co.uk/support but clicking on it redirects to http://www.britishgas.info/

they don't exactly bend over themselves to help people find it so you have to wonder how many people do they help.

Its called ' Warm home discount scheme 2011 '
    Must have been a temporary technical glitch because the BG support page link is working fine right now, and says:
    "As of 8 July, the Warm Home Discount Scheme replaces our Essentials tariff to new applicants. The Warm Home Discount Scheme is open to low income customers living with long term illnesses and disabilities. Please call us on 0800 072 8625 for more information.

Existing customers on our Essentials tariff will remain on this tariff until we contact them to register for the Warm Home Discount Scheme.

Essentials customers can talk to us about any enquiries they may have by calling the freephone number: 0800 072 8625."

OP - BG also do free loft & cavity wall insulation for over 70s, whether they're a customer or not. See here.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks very much for your replies everyone.:)