Mystery murder/assault in Scotland

Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Here's one for the DS detective agency:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2322726/Margaret-Nicola-McDonough-Detectives-wait-question-injured-graduate-23-death-mother-Premier-Inn-hotel-mystery.html

A mother and daughter were found with severe injuries in a hotel in Scotland, although on the BBC website is says that they weren't stabbed.

The mother unfortunately died at hospital and the daughter is in critical condition, but the Police do not believe a third party was involved.

I have to admit that I'm stumped on this one.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I read this the other day and thought murder and suicide attempt.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Friends talked about that last night. They wanted to know why the mother and daughter booked a night at that hotel far from home, and whether the injuries were self-inflicted. They seem to believe it's a suicide pact.
  • Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    woodbush wrote: »
    I read this the other day and thought murder and suicide attempt.

That's what I initially thought, but then wondered how that could be achieved if there wasn't a knife involved, yet both sustaining severe injuries? And which way round would it have been?

It's a mystery. :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's what I initially thought, but then wondered how that could be achieved if there wasn't a knife involved, yet both sustaining severe injuries? And which way round would it have been?

It's a mystery. :confused:

Don't see anything about a knife but the police have obviously searched the hotel?

The BBC report says the weren't stabbed so i'm confused as well.
  • CryolemonCryolemon Posts: 8,670
    Forum Member
    Does it say they weren't shot? That's got to be a possibility.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cryolemon wrote: »
    Does it say they weren't shot? That's got to be a possibility.

Blimey, you'd think that someone would've heard that rather than nothing seeming untoward until the daughter was found in the morning.
  • CaltonfanCaltonfan Posts: 6,311
    Forum Member
    I live in Greenock, this story is a bit of a mystery. the daily record reported that their was stab wounds but the police have since said no stab wounds and they arent even sure if there are suspicious circumstances

what is puzzelling is that they are from Paisley which is only about 15 minutes up the motorway from Greenock so its not as if they were on holiday
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Caltonfan wrote: »
    what is puzzelling is that they are from Paisley which is only about 15 minutes up the motorway from Greenock so its not as if they were on holiday

That's the heart of friends' discussion last night. Why stay at a hotel not far from their home?
    Forum Member
    Blimey, you'd think that someone would've heard that rather than nothing seeming untoward until the daughter was found in the morning.

You'd think so, but you never know I guess.
  • Auntie ClimaxAuntie Climax Posts: 917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do we know what injuries are involved? That may help determine what could have caused them.
  • KaliMistKaliMist Posts: 7,511
    Forum Member
    Caltonfan wrote: »

My guess is they were staying there because they had a night out planned in greenock, I live in Paisley and I've booked overnight stays in Glasgow which is only 10 mins up the motorway for that reason. It is all very strange though.
  • echoroseechorose Posts: 540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It could be that they had some cosmetic surgery done which went horribly wrong.

It doesn't have to be anything sinister.
  • cjsmummycjsmummy Posts: 11,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not far from me, it's got a lot of folk talking. It's seems a strange one.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    maybe gangland related?
  • RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    echorose wrote: »
    It could be that they had some cosmetic surgery done which went horribly wrong.

It doesn't have to be anything sinister.

On what planet is dodgy cosmetic surgery that kills one woman and almost kills another not sinister?? :eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    KaliMist wrote: »
    My guess is they were staying there because they had a night out planned in greenock, I live in Paisley and I've booked overnight stays in Glasgow which is only 10 mins up the motorway for that reason. It is all very strange though.

I'm from Paisley myself, live nearer Greenock now though:)
  • woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cjsmummy wrote: »
    I'm from Paisley myself, live nearer Greenock now though:)

Not Feegie, I hope! Or the 'tap end' of Foxbar! :p:D
  • DSCarterDSCarter Posts: 1,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where was Lenny Henry when it happened?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    KaliMist wrote: »

I know the woman's niece. The family are puzzled (and obviously completely shocked and devasted).
    Forum Member
    grps3 wrote: »
    maybe gangland related?

Plausible, for sure.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to live in Port Glasgow, right beside Greenock. Since moved to Glasgow though.

This is a weird one.

Reasons for booking a hotel not too far from home:

1) Night out
    2) They had to be somewhere in Greenock/Inverclyde early in the morning, so booked a hotel for the previous night.
    3) The melodramatic "on the run" scenario.
    4) The also melodramatic suicide pact scenario.

One dead, one seriously injured, no signs of a stabbing but "seriously injured". Police can't say if it was an attack.

Leads me to think maybe number 4, depending on the injuries. It's really the "significant injuries" bit that muddies the waters.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    woot_whoo wrote: »
    Not Feegie, I hope! Or the 'tap end' of Foxbar! :p:D

Nah, Glenburn! Went to Gleniffer High in Foxbar though cos the shut Stanley Green.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cjsmummy wrote: »
    Nah, Glenburn! Went to Gleniffer High in Foxbar though cos the shut Stanley Green.

Good old Glenny! I was a St Andrews kid, but drinking sessions in Foxbar and Glenburn as a hedonistic teenager were par for the course! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seaborn wrote: »
    I used to live in Port Glasgow, right beside Greenock. Since moved to Glasgow though.

This is a weird one.

Reasons for booking a hotel not too far from home:

1) Night out
    2) They had to be somewhere in Greenock/Inverclyde early in the morning, so booked a hotel for the previous night.
    3) The melodramatic "on the run" scenario.
    4) The also melodramatic suicide pact scenario.

One dead, one seriously injured, no signs of a stabbing but "seriously injured". Police can't say if it was an attack.

Leads me to think maybe number 4, depending on the injuries. It's really the "significant injuries" bit that muddies the waters.

Or perhaps someone knocked them over when they were walking back to the hotel and then took them both back unseen (there don't seem to have been any witnesses to them returning)?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Or perhaps someone knocked them over when they were walking back to the hotel and then took them both back unseen (there don't seem to have been any witnesses to them returning)?

The police are not looking for an outside attacker.