Options

Pick Of The Pops - Radio 2

Comments

• Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    david1956 wrote: »
    Age has nothing to do with it. I can hardly remember 1966 but I love most of the music from that time. My memories of 1984 are much more vivid and music was everywhere on the radio. It is simply that after about 1973 the was a lull that lasted about eight years before there was an uplift. Even so, the peak that was 1965-69 was never surpassed even to this day.

For me, if I was told that I could only listen to music from a specific period for evermore, and nothing outside of it, then I would have no hesitation picking the period between 1975 and 1984 myself.

An 8 year lull after 1973 lasting to about 1981. You have got to be joking surely? If that was a lull then let's have more of them. Years like '77, '78, '79 and '80 a lull. No way, sorry, never.
  • Options
    RoseAnneRoseAnne Posts: 3,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    For me, if I was told that I could only listen to music from a specific period for evermore, and nothing outside of it, then I would have no hesitation picking the period between 1975 and 1984 myself.

An 8 year lull after 1973 lasting to about 1981. You have got to be joking surely? If that was a lull then let's have more of them. Years like '77, '78, '79 and '80 a lull. No way, sorry, never.

I agree Rich Tea. If I had to choose a period of music I'd have no problem picking that time span either. Punk, New Wave, New Romantic, Electronic, Two Tone, some classic Disco plus loads of great other stuff too and no Stock, Aitken and Waterman (yet!)
  • Options
    Tazman1966Tazman1966 Posts: 373
    Forum Member
    Same as Rich Tea. 1974 to 1985 would be my favourite span of years
  • Options
    The GathererThe Gatherer Posts: 2,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You sound like you have some good tales to tell Bandspread so I hope we hear a lot more from you.

For David, sorry but the hits of June 1984 way surpassed those of June 1975, even despite its classic No1 from 10cc. But then it is clearly an age thing, and there's nothing that can be done about that. The '66 chart was impressive no doubt though. Does anyone remember the concert that took place at Wembley Stadium on 30th June 1984 called the Summer Of '84 concert?

Actually there were some great songs from both 1975 and 1984 played, as well as some not so good ones from both years, but never in a million years did 1984 "way surpass" 1975. 1975's chart had one of the greatest songs ever recorded, but not the edited single version - I'm referring to the 10 minute album version of "Swearin' to God". Perfection.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RoseAnne wrote: »
    I agree Rich Tea. If I had to choose a period of music I'd have no problem picking that time span either. Punk, New Wave, New Romantic, Electronic, Two Tone, some classic Disco plus loads of great other stuff too and no Stock, Aitken and Waterman (yet!)

Yes, thankfully there was SAW in 1984 and we were lucky as there was much more to come. I don't know how anyone can not include at least 1967-73 and 1985 in their span of years. Ignoring all of Glam Rock?? And 1989 was excellent too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually there were some great songs from both 1975 and 1984 played, as well as some not so good ones from both years, but never in a million years did 1984 "way surpass" 1975. 1975's chart had one the greatest songs ever recorded, but not the single version - I'm referring to the 10 minute album version of "Swearin' to God". Perfection.

Of course there were. Even the poorest of years has its fair share of great singles, just as even the best of years has its fair share of stinkers. As a pop music year, 1984 beats 1975 easily in my view.

I had never heard that Frankie Valli track Swearin' To God before today. Certainly worth another listen, although why he missed out the track climbing one place above it, Black Pudding Gertha by The Goodies I've no idea! :D
  • Options
    80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    June 1975 had probably one of the worst #1 songs ever, sadly also #1 the day I was born... How on Earth did the terrible 'Whispering Grass' stay at #1 for 3 weeks? Such a boring, nasty song!

1984 beat 1975 hands down today no contest and last week's 1977 & 1981 charts were brilliant. If only the original version of the lovely Kate Robbins had been played!!
  • Options
    JedikiahJedikiah Posts: 5,396
    Forum Member
    80sfan wrote: »
    June 1975 had probably one of the worst #1 songs ever, sadly also #1 the day I was born... How on Earth did the terrible 'Whispering Grass' stay at #1 for 3 weeks? Such a boring, nasty song!

1984 beat 1975 hands down today no contest and last week's 1977 & 1981 charts were brilliant. If only the original version of the lovely Kate Robbins had been played!!

As i have mentioned many times before, there is a definite decline in the music, in around the 1975 period, which lasts part of the way through 1976, before picking up strongly, and becoming very potent towards the end of the decade. 1964-73 were perhaps the most consistent (and groundbreaking) ever in pop, and then there is a very good run leading to around the 1980/81 period. Starting in 1981, there begins a small, but significant decline which doesn't really gather pace in fundamentally affecting the charts, until around 1984, and then it's downhill all the way.
  • Options
    Apprentice 2 SAApprentice 2 SA Posts: 2,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of the three years covered 1984 was by far the weakest chart.

I would rate the years as follows:

1966 - 9/10 almost everything played was brilliant. If there was anything to grumple about it would be Cilla - not one of her best. Also Percy Sledge. So bl**dy soppy and these days so overplayed. Otherwise brilliant.

1975- 6/10. It seems that the comments on this thread about skipping songs on the way down has been noted by Phil. The best songs on this chart were on the way down. Therefore skipped. So this policy doesn't always work. Be careful what you wish for. Stylistics, Roy Wood are good but not played.

1984 - 4/10 Cr*p. Spandau were the best record in the top twenty by miles but were skipped. Elton, Lionel and Bronski Beat saved the day.

Next week. 1969 and 1976. This has the potential be the best POTP this year so far. Two brilliant years. Depends what they play. 1969 should be guarenteed OK. 1976 should be good too if they skip the Wurzels and Maureen McGovern and play some of the decent climbers.

No overplayed, over produced 1980s for the first time in ages. Bring it on!!!!!!

The following week - 12 July it will be 1957 and 1968. Fab!!!!!!!!!
    I would say

1. 75 Even without the skipped song this was the best music by miles.

2. 84 A long way behind, but with a few decent tracks for early / mid 80s

3. 66 A particularly weak and overated selection of music.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course there were. Even the poorest of years has its fair share of great singles, just as even the best of years has its fair share of stinkers. As a pop music year, 1984 beats 1975 easily in my view.

I had never heard that Frankie Valli track Swearin' To God before today. Certainly worth another listen, although why he missed out the track climbing one place above it, Black Pudding Gertha by The Goodies I've no idea! :D

1984 was certainly one of the better years of the 80s, and a vast improvement on the three years that preceded it, but IMO 1975 easily beats it for quality pop music.

Definitely worth downloading the 10.31 version of "Swearin' To God".

Incidentally, a lot of Frankie Valli solo albums are released as a "box set" tomorrow and also most if not all Four Seasons albums are as well. I've pre-ordered the latter on iTunes. Although I already have a couple of greatest hits albums I'm looking forward to hearing some "new" (to me) album tracks.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    80sfan wrote: »

For me, one of the best Number 1s ever. Don Estelle had such a great voice. I can maybe understand some people not liking it (people do have different musical tastes after all!) but I'm a bit bemused as to why anyone would describe it as "nasty".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jedikiah wrote: »
    As i have mentioned many times before, there is a definite decline in the music, in around the 1975 period, which lasts part of the way through 1976, before picking up strongly, and becoming very potent towards the end of the decade. 1964-73 were perhaps the most consistent (and groundbreaking) ever in pop, and then there is a very good run leading to around the 1980/81 period. Starting in 1981, there begins a small, but significant decline which doesn't really gather pace in fundamentally affecting the charts, until around 1984, and then it's downhill all the way.

I think you've got this the wrong way round, there was a peak to music in the 70s in the middle of the decade, with 1975 being the top year, closely followed by 1976. A gradual decline after this, which increased in 1981-3 with music picking up again in 1984 and 1985.
  • Options
    JedikiahJedikiah Posts: 5,396
    Forum Member
    Of the three years covered 1984 was by far the weakest chart.

I would rate the years as follows:

1966 - 9/10 almost everything played was brilliant. If there was anything to grumple about it would be Cilla - not one of her best. Also Percy Sledge. So bl**dy soppy and these days so overplayed. Otherwise brilliant.

1975- 6/10. It seems that the comments on this thread about skipping songs on the way down has been noted by Phil. The best songs on this chart were on the way down. Therefore skipped. So this policy doesn't always work. Be careful what you wish for. Stylistics, Roy Wood are good but not played.

1984 - 4/10 Cr*p. Spandau were the best record in the top twenty by miles but were skipped. Elton, Lionel and Bronski Beat saved the day.

Next week. 1969 and 1976. This has the potential be the best POTP this year so far. Two brilliant years. Depends what they play. 1969 should be guarenteed OK. 1976 should be good too if they skip the Wurzels and Maureen McGovern and play some of the decent climbers.

No overplayed, over produced 1980s for the first time in ages. Bring it on!!!!!!

The following week - 12 July it will be 1957 and 1968. Fab!!!!!!!!!

I won't disagree with your rankings. 1966, has to easily rank as the best, for me, because pretty much every song, has a coherence and a sharpness of focus, which is so refreshing. 1966 anyway, generally has to rank as one of the best years in music ever (i love, for example Brian Jones fabulous sitar playing in 'Paint It Black and the lovely lyrical eloquence of Simon And Garfunkel's 'I Am A Rock', and the studio phasing on the Beatles 'Paperback Writer') Pop was expanding its musical horizons in many ways in 1966. 1975, is very patchy, and not one of the best charts, and certainly amounts to one of the poorer ones, if you take it in relation to the general standard of the seventies as a whole. However, for me, what makes it so much better than the 1984 chart, isn't the quality of the songs (i'd argue 1984 may have the edge), but the production. I love the richness of the orchestration, within many of the songs in 1975, much more than the rather over produced and clean sterile sound of the 1984 chart. Tina Turner is a great artist, but i hate how clean 'What's Love Got To Do With It?' sounds. Same with so many of the songs from 1984. The muse within artists creating memorable songs in 1984, hadn't quite been lost (like i'd argue it has today), but the way the songs were being dressed up, i find not to my taste at all.
  • Options
    Ray266Ray266 Posts: 3,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's all a matter of taste & your age group, I was 11 in 1966 & even at that young age I loved pop music 1966 was slap bang in the middle of the offshore stations era IMHO the music of that year was better than 1967 in some ways, In the summer of 1966 July to September the music of the Beatles, Troggs, Hollies , Lovin' Spoonful plus all the Tamla stuff I thought then it don't get better than this, But I liked some of the 70's & liked the mid to late 80's as well so there you go & I wish Tony would stop going on about the weather in London we all don't live on London there are other places Radio 2 is a national network not a just for London that goes for Radio 1 as well but less about Radio 1.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jedikiah wrote: »
    I won't disagree with your rankings. 1966, has to easily rank as the best, for me, because pretty much every song, has a coherence and a sharpness of focus, which is so refreshing. 1966 anyway, generally has to rank as one of the best years in music ever (i love, for example Brian Jones fabulous sitar playing in 'Paint It Black). 1975, is very patchy, and not one of the best charts, and certainly amounts to one of the poorer ones, if you take it in relation to the general standard of the seventies as a whole. However, for me, what makes it so much better than the 1984 chart, isn't the quality of the songs (i'd argue 1984 may have the edge), but the production. I love the richness of the orchestration, within many of the songs in 1975, much more than the rather over produced and clean sterile sound of the 1984 chart. Tina Turner is a great artist, but i hate how clean 'What's Love Got To Do With It?' sounds. Same with so many of the songs from 1984. The muse within artists creating memorable songs in 1984, hadn't quite been lost (like i'd argue it has today), but the way the songs were being dressed up, i find not to my taste at all.

With you on 1966:)
  • Options
    david1956david1956 Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Next Saturday Tony takes us back to 1969 and 1976. Here are my top six from each of the charts.

You to Me Are Everything – Real Thing
    This along with ‘Don’t Go Breaking My Heart’ were to me the sound track of the long hot summer of 1976. The Real Thing were formed in 1970 and struggled until they won ‘New Faces’, a talent show on ITV. The group came from Liverpool and were fronted by Chris Amoo who with his brother Eddy had been members of a beat/soul group called The Chants. They released some excellent singles between 1964 and 1968 but none of them charted.

Lets Stick Together – Bryan Ferry
    This was a reworking of a Wilbert Harrison American hit from 1959. That was called ‘Lets Work Together’, a version of which had been a hit for Canned Heat in 1970. Bryan Ferry came from Washington in County Durham rather than DC. This was Bryan’s first solo hit after temporary disbanding Roxy Music at the beginning of the year.

A Little Bit More – Doctor Hook
    This band came from New Jersey. There was a four year wait for them after their first UK hit in 1972 and this one. ‘A Little Bit More’ was the biggest seller of the year that didn’t get to number one.

Show Me The Way – Peter Frampton
    This song was taken from the multi-million selling album ‘Frampton Comes Alive’. The album was voted the best rock album of the year. This single was Peter’s biggest selling single reaching number one in the USA and number ten in the UK. Frampton had previously been dubbed ‘The face of ‘68’ when he was the lead singer with The Herd during the late sixties.

You Are My Love – Liverpool Express
    A beautiful song that was unlucky not to make the top ten. It stalled at number eleven. All members of this group had previously been members of the Merseybeats who had enjoyed a string of hit singles during the mid 1960s. Paul McCartney declared that ‘You Are My Love’ to be one of his favourite songs. They were fellow scousers so perhaps he was just a bit biased.

Misty Blue – Dorothy Moore
    Dorothy came from Jackson, Mississippi and during the sixties had been a member of a harmony soul group called The Poppies. They had a minor hit with ‘Lullaby of Love’ in 1966. ‘Misty Blue’ was issued as a single from the album of the same name. It climbed to number three in the US and number five in the UK. A classic.

Next week 1957 and 1968.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Somehow 1969 got missed from the earlier post.

In the Ghetto – Elvis Presley
    This was a comeback single in many ways. Since 1965 Elvis’s career had been in the doldrums, with only lame movie songs troubling the lower rungs of the charts. After an argument with his manager Tom Parker, Elvis decided that he was going home to Memphis to record an album. This was ‘Elvis in Memphis’. Mr P also stated that from now on he would only record songs that he ‘believed in’. The public believed in this record as ‘In the Ghetto’ climbed to number one in America and number two here. An all time classic single.

Living in the Past – Jethro Tull
    This is the group formed in Luton in 1967 and lead by flautist Ian Anderson. ‘Living In The Past’ was released as a single that did not appear on an album at the time. This was unusual for a band that liked to take their music seriously. Eventually an album which included ‘Living In The Past’ was released in 1972. Jethro Tull’s first single issued in 1968 was called ‘Sunshine Day’. This did not make the charts, possibly because early pressings credited the record to ‘Jethro Toe’.

Way of Life – Family Dogg
    This single was this group’s only hit although they did bring out some great songs prior to and after their one hit. The group was formed in 1966 by Steve Rowland and Albert Hammond. Jimmy Page, John Bonham, John Paul Jones of Led Zeppelin and Elton John also played on this single and their album of the same name.

Breakaway – Beach Boys
    This song got to number 6 and was written like many of their other hits by Brian Wilson. Many fans claim that there is a hidden meaning to the song. Up until this point they had enjoyed many hits on the Capital label. Shortly afterwards the group did break away from Capital for whom this was their final official single. The following year their now former label issued ‘Cottonfields’ a track they had recorded three years earlier.

Baby Make It Soon – Marmalade
    Marmalade are in my mind an underrated group. They came from Glasgow and had a fine lead singer in Junior Campbell. In January 1969 they became the first ever Scottish group to top the charts when they got to number one with ‘Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da’. After the success of ‘Baby Make It Soon’ Marmalade left their record company CBS and signed with Decca Records who gave them the artistic freedom they had been craving.

Dizzy – Tommy Roe
    Yes this is the song ruined in 1991 by Reeves and Mortimer. Tommy’s version is an excellent example of late sixties bubblegum pop and thoroughly deserved to get to number one. This was a return to the charts in the UK after a six year gap, although he had continued to have hits in the states during the sixties. The follow up to ‘Dizzy’ was a song called ‘Heather Honey’ which made the top thirty in September 1969.
  • Options
    JBOJBO Posts: 6,148
    Forum Member
    Dizzy – Tommy Roe
    Yes this is the song ruined in 1991 by Reeves and Mortimer. .

:D:D:D
  • Options
    ClareBClareB Posts: 2,597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apart from 1976, the years coming up the next couple of weeks on POTP aren't really my thing, but that certainly isn't a complaint. As I've said before, I accept that the show has to appeal to a broad age range and that maybe one, or neither, chart will appeal to me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ClareB wrote: »
    Apart from 1976, the years coming up the next couple of weeks on POTP aren't really my thing, but that certainly isn't a complaint. As I've said before, I accept that the show has to appeal to a broad age range and that maybe one, or neither, chart will appeal to me.

If you do listen I think the rest of us would still like to know what you think.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Next Saturday Tony takes us back to 1969 and 1976. Here are my top six from each of the charts.

This along with ‘Don’t Go Breaking My Heart’ were to me the sound track of the long hot summer of 1976. The Real Thing were formed in 1970 and struggled until they won ‘New Faces’, a talent show on ITV. The group came from Liverpool and were fronted by Chris Amoo who with his brother Eddy had been members of a beat/soul group called The Chants. They released some excellent singles between 1964 and 1968 but none of them charted.

This was a reworking of a Wilbert Harrison American hit from 1959. That was called ‘Lets Work Together’, a version of which had been a hit for Canned Heat in 1970. Bryan Ferry came from Washington in County Durham rather than DC. This was Bryan’s first solo hit after temporary disbanding Roxy Music at the beginning of the year.

This band came from New Jersey. There was a four year wait for them after their first UK hit in 1972 and this one. ‘A Little Bit More’ was the biggest seller of the year that didn’t get to number one.

This song was taken from the multi-million selling album ‘Frampton Comes Alive’. The album was voted the best rock album of the year. This single was Peter’s biggest selling single reaching number one in the USA and number ten in the UK. Frampton had previously been dubbed ‘The face of ‘68’ when he was the lead singer with The Herd during the late sixties.

A beautiful song that was unlucky not to make the top ten. It stalled at number eleven. All members of this group had previously been members of the Merseybeats who had enjoyed a string of hit singles during the mid 1960s. Paul McCartney declared that ‘You Are My Love’ to be one of his favourite songs. They were fellow scousers so perhaps he was just a bit biased.

Dorothy came from Jackson, Mississippi and during the sixties had been a member of a harmony soul group called The Poppies. They had a minor hit with ‘Lullaby of Love’ in 1966. ‘Misty Blue’ was issued as a single from the album of the same name. It climbed to number three in the US and number five in the UK. A classic.

Next week 1957 and 1968.

Good choice but Don't Go Breaking My Heart was overkill if ever there was at the time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Next week 1957 and 1968.

When the TOTP showings began 3 years ago starting at 1976, this was one of the songs that came up quite early on from Liverpool Express in the summer and discovering it was brilliant because it is a sublime piece of music that I just had to get a download of the moment I heard it. I'm sure it was somewhere in the deepest recesses of my subconscious mind already, as I'm sure I had heard the song before, maybe when I was a small child when it was a hit, but I would never have known who it was by, what it was called and when it came from. When it came up on TOTP I was very impressed.

Bryan Ferry sang Let's Stick Together live at Glastonbury late last night by the way.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1984 was certainly one of the better years of the 80s, and a vast improvement on the three years that preceded it, but IMO 1975 easily beats it for quality pop music.

Definitely worth downloading the 10.31 version of "Swearin' To God".

Incidentally, a lot of Frankie Valli solo albums are released as a "box set" tomorrow and also most if not all Four Seasons albums are as well. I've pre-ordered the latter on iTunes. Although I already have a couple of greatest hits albums I'm looking forward to hearing some "new" (to me) album tracks.

Frankie Valli definitely put out 2 of the best singles in 1975. Night, which at this point had just been a top tenner at No7, and No6 hit Who Loves You later in the year, which was the 4th ever track I bought on download infact, I like it so much. 1975 was certainly his comeback year, not forgetting his solo top five single before the Four Seasons kicked in again, after an almost decade gap from the charts since the mid to later 60's,
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd also just like to tell Tony, and I'm sure you're having a peek, that yesterday's show was absolutely excellent as always and the mix of those 3 years complemented perfectly each decade in a nutshell to me. Each year was exactly typical of its decade and how you think of the decade.

But one leftfield suggestion. How about now and again, maybe once every few months, dropping in a pre-rock era, pre-Elvis chart, say from 1954, 1955 or early 1956? Although I'm not entirely sure when an official Top 20 itself kicked in, as I believe the first charts after 1952 were only a Top 12. These charts would have some good curiosity value and be much less over familiar obviously.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Frankie Valli definitely put out 2 of the best singles in 1975. Night, which at this point had just been a top tenner at No7, and No6 hit Who Loves You later in the year, which was the 4th ever track I bought on download infact, I like it so much. 1975 was certainly his comeback year, not forgetting his solo top five single before the Four Seasons kicked in again, after an almost decade gap from the charts since the mid to later 60's,

For once I 100% agree with you! :D "The Night" was the Four Seasons first Top 40 hit for 8 years, and it was followed by a few more (including a Number 1 of course) but, apart from a couple of re-issues / re-mixes, it was all over for them in the UK in just over another two years. Not sure of its history. I think it was a re-working of a song they had previously recorded and it was on Motown's subsidiary Mowest label but it was certainly a surprise hit in Spring 1975. And despite the band often being referred to as "Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons" this was, apart from those later re-releases, in fact the only single of theirs thus credited! BTW, meant to say in my earlier post that I assume the two box sets are being released tomorrow to tie in with the release of the "Jersey Boys" film.