Pick Of The Pops - Radio 2

Comments

• david1956david1956 Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course nothing to do with Tony presenting the show in a better time slot than fluff and Dale had through most of their time presenting. No it is because they Tony skips songs he doesn't like.

Dale presented the show ona Saturday well before Tony took over. The increase by a million is only since November 2010.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Then how can you disagree? It is supposed to be about what was in the charts at a certain time not what songs Tony Blackburn and Phil Swern want to play.

Actually it IS about what Phil Swern wants to play. He is the producer. If you want to listen to crappy punk and football songs, download them, buy the singles off eBay or whatever. Just leave the rest of us to enjoy the show as it is.
  • 80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    david1956 wrote: »
    Actually it IS about what Phil Swern wants to play. He is the producer. If you want to listen to crappy punk and football songs, download them, buy the singles off eBay or whatever. Just leave the rest of us to enjoy the show as it is.

I agree. Having heard some of the naff football songs that were in the top 20 on last year's showing of the 1978 Top of the Pops, I'm glad we are spared such rubbish on POTP!!

I think POTP does find a happy medium of songs that are both familiar and lesser played. You can hardly say POTP years are as predictable, safe & bland as say the Time Tunnel. As much as I like all kinds of oldies, some stuff is best left forgotten :)
  • alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HI all - that time of year again. Years are 1969 and 1976, charts to follow.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hour 1 - http://www.officialcharts.com/archive-chart/_/1/1969-07-05/

TOTP-
    3-7-69: Presenter: Jimmy Savile (Wiped)

(1) THUNDERCLAP NEWMAN – Something In The Air (and charts)
    (NEW) CLODAGH RODGERS – Goodnight Midnight
    (2) ELVIS PRESLEY – In The Ghetto (video)
    (27) DESMOND DEKKER & THE ACES – It Miek
    (14) SCOTT WALKER – Lights Of Cincinnati
    (12) CRAZY ELEPHANT – Gimme Gimme Good Lovin’ (danced to by Pan’s People)
    (15) AMEN CORNER – Hello Suzie ®
    (19) MARMALADE – Baby Make It Soon ®
    (1) THUNDERCLAP NEWMAN – Something In The Air
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hour 2 - http://www.officialcharts.com/archive-chart/_/1/1976-07-03/

TOTP -
    1-7-76: Presenter: Jimmy Savile O.B.E. (Wiped)

(NEW) HELLO – Love Stealer *
    (21) LIVERPOOL EXPRESS – You Are My Love
    (14) DR. HOOK – A Little Bit More (danced to by Ruby Flipper)
    (11) THE MANHATTANS – Kiss And Say Goodbye (video)
    (17) T-REX – I Love To Boogie
    (26) ONE HUNDRED TON & A FEATHER – It Only Takes A Minute (danced to by Ruby Flipper)
    (NEW) BILL ODDIE & THE SUPERSPIKE SQUAD with JOHN CLEESE – Superspike (video)
    (29) HOT CHOCOLATE – Man To Man
    (2) OUR KID – You Just Might See Me Cry ® *
    (27) DON WILLIAMS – I Recall A Gypsy Woman (video)
    (7) THE SHANGRI-LAS – The Leader Of The Pack (danced to by Ruby Flipper)
    (1) THE REAL THING – You To Me Are Everything ® *
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone around?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alcockell wrote: »
    Anyone around?

Tony is sounding good today as always !
  • ClareBClareB Posts: 2,597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great memories of the TOTP repeats 1976!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ClareB wrote: »
    Yeah - I was thinking that...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh God - Our Kid. Remember the projectile vomit on the TOTP1976 thread when they were on?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Great memories of hearing these not three years ago but thirty eight years ago. The soundtrack of a glorious summer. No rain from the end of May to the middle of September. Baking hot, blue skies every day for months. Will we ever see the likes again?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh God - Our Kid. Remember the projectile vomit on the TOTP1976 thread when they were on?

Am I right in thinking that Opportunity Knocks was responsible for giving them their few weeks of fame?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    80sfan wrote: »
    I agree. Having heard some of the naff football songs that were in the top 20 on last year's showing of the 1978 Top of the Pops, I'm glad we are spared such rubbish on POTP!!

:)

Some of these naff songs, especially from the seventies and eighties should only be played when you are showing someone your family album. They make a perfect acompliment to photos of people wearing flares and with dodgy haircuts. Only to be exposed if you want to embarrass someone.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hour 2 - http://www.officialcharts.com/archive-chart/_/1/1976-07-03/

TOTP -
    1-7-76: Presenter: Jimmy Savile O.B.E. (Wiped)

(NEW) HELLO – Love Stealer *
    (21) LIVERPOOL EXPRESS – You Are My Love
    (14) DR. HOOK – A Little Bit More (danced to by Ruby Flipper)
    (11) THE MANHATTANS – Kiss And Say Goodbye (video)
    (17) T-REX – I Love To Boogie
    (26) ONE HUNDRED TON & A FEATHER – It Only Takes A Minute (danced to by Ruby Flipper)
    (NEW) BILL ODDIE & THE SUPERSPIKE SQUAD with JOHN CLEESE – Superspike (video)
    (29) HOT CHOCOLATE – Man To Man
    (2) OUR KID – You Just Might See Me Cry ® *
    (27) DON WILLIAMS – I Recall A Gypsy Woman (video)
    (7) THE SHANGRI-LAS – The Leader Of The Pack (danced to by Ruby Flipper)
    (1) THE REAL THING – You To Me Are Everything ® *

I haven't played my recording yet. Did he play Leader of the Pack. I hate that song with a passion.

"Is that Jimmy's ring you are wearing". No it is a sick bag that I am holding.
  • Peter the GreatPeter the Great Posts: 14,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So when the Top 40 is aired it is about what the producer wants to play not what is in the chart? Utter bollocks! And I can say the same to you that if you like the shite taste in music that Tony and Phil have download them tracks and leave the rest of us to actually hear songs that are in the chart of the time which is what the show is supposed to be all about.
  • Peter the GreatPeter the Great Posts: 14,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dale presented the show ona Saturday well before Tony took over. The increase by a million is only since November 2010.
    Yet on another thread about RAJAR you said the following "RAJAR is not worth the paper it is written on." Now it's funny you think it is when it suits your agenda.
  • Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Then how can you disagree? It is supposed to be about what was in the charts at a certain time not what songs Tony Blackburn and Phil Swern want to play.
    Which it is of course. This whole argument is making a mountain out of a molehill. The top twenty singles of any given week played on POTP are the top twenty, full stop. There isn't really a great deal of picking and choosing to be done out of it in reality, certainly not as much as you allude to. Infact next week when he plays 1957 I bet almost the entire top twenty will end up played, as they were shorter singles then. This picking and choosing issue has been vastly overplayed. In truth there is very limited room for manoeuvre with what you consider the producer/presenter's personal choice. If POTP was given an extra half hour with two charts, I'm sure Tony and his producer would be fine with playing all 20 singles from each chart if they could do so without time constraints.

Anyway, 17 singles were played today out of each Top 20 from 1969 and 1976.

In this day and age it has never been easier to check out and find those little heard singles of old that are rarely played anywhere despite having been decent sized hits. So to get quite so concerned about certain songs being overlooked on POTP seems an overreaction to me. Just take POTP for what it is, hosted to perfection and more popular and entertaining a listen than it has ever been since the days of Alan Freeman himself.

I certainly came into this world to a great chart pedigree that is for sure, considering today's first hour of hits. Such classics. Although when it got to 1976, a year that counts for my earliest ever first hand memories, I could almost feel the summer heat of that year coming off some of those tracks. The Lee Garrett track, You're My Everything, had passed me by and I don't even recall it from TOTP 1976 three years ago on BBC4. When I first heard the name I was thinking Leif Garrett but knew he never had a 1976 hit, so immediately had to check the trusty Guinness books. I quite liked that song too. We also ended up with 2 people, Dolly Parton and Bryan Ferry in this weeks 1976 top twenty who only last weekend put on immensely enjoyable star turns at Glastonbury.
  • ClareBClareB Posts: 2,597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yesterday's 1976 chart got me digging out the TOTP eps from that period to check out the various performances. When You're My Everything began I remembered it getting a bit of bashing on the Yesitsnumberone TOTP blog, and to be fair the record was better than the TOTP rendition.
  • Ian 57Ian 57 Posts: 212
    Forum Member
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    Which it is of course. This whole argument is making a mountain out of a molehill. The top twenty singles of any given week played on POTP are the top twenty, full stop. There isn't really a great deal of picking and choosing to be done out of it in reality, certainly not as much as you allude to. Infact next week when he plays 1957 I bet almost the entire top twenty will end up played, as they were shorter singles then. This picking and choosing issue has been vastly overplayed. In truth there is very limited room for manoeuvre with what you consider the producer/presenter's personal choice. If POTP was given an extra half hour with two charts, I'm sure Tony and his producer would be fine with playing all 20 singles from each chart if they could do so without time constraints. Anyway, 17 singles were played today out of each Top 20 from 1969 and 1976.

In this day and age it has never been easier to check out and find those little heard singles of old that are rarely played anywhere despite having been decent sized hits. So to get quite so concerned about certain songs being overlooked on POTP seems an overreaction to me. Just take POTP for what it is, hosted to perfection and more popular and entertaining a listen than it has ever been since the days of Alan Freeman himself.

I certainly came into this world to a great chart pedigree that is for sure, considering today's first hour of hits. Such classics. Although when it got to 1976, a year that counts for my earliest ever first hand memories, I could almost feel the summer heat of that year coming off some of those tracks. The Lee Garrett track, You're My Everything, had passed me by and I don't even recall it from TOTP 1976 three years ago on BBC4. When I first heard the name I was thinking Leif Garrett but knew he never had a 1976 hit, so immediately had to check the trusty Guinness books. I quite liked that song too. We also ended up with 2 people, Dolly Parton and Bryan Ferry in this weeks 1976 top twenty who only last weekend put on immensely enjoyable star turns at Glastonbury.

A great selection this week, and in Tony's words, "2 Fantastic Charts" ! A great listen, Marmalade, Family Dogg ( even Arnold aswell ), Dr Hook, even brought some memories back hearing Our Kid i'm sad to say, not that we hear that one anymore as it ain't on any compilations. Have to just mention that dire re-recording of Hello Suzie though, where did they find that one, the song was completely transformed and ruined. Didn't think we would hear the end of Tonight's The Night with the french moaning section! I don't have the vinyl of that one, but it is supposed to include Britt Ekland at the end doing her piece, which was removed after they split up on album releases. Does anyone have the 7" vinyl and can confirm if her piece is what has now appeared on some compilation albums, one being the Rod Stewart "Some Guys Have All The Luck" collection, or did they use another french lady!? Oh, the Breach Boys was a funny unintentional mistake, a good live moment!
  • Ian 57Ian 57 Posts: 212
    Forum Member
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    Which it is of course. This whole argument is making a mountain out of a molehill. The top twenty singles of any given week played on POTP are the top twenty, full stop. There isn't really a great deal of picking and choosing to be done out of it in reality, certainly not as much as you allude to. Infact next week when he plays 1957 I bet almost the entire top twenty will end up played, as they were shorter singles then. This picking and choosing issue has been vastly overplayed. In truth there is very limited room for manoeuvre with what you consider the producer/presenter's personal choice. If POTP was given an extra half hour with two charts, I'm sure Tony and his producer would be fine with playing all 20 singles from each chart if they could do so without time constraints.

Anyway, 17 singles were played today out of each Top 20 from 1969 and 1976.

That is the beauty of hearing a 50s/60s chart, you know you are probably gonna hear the entire Top 20. Although saying that, last week when 1966 was featured, they substituted 3 songs in the Top 20 to play 3 climbers.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yesterday's 1976 chart got me digging out the TOTP eps from that period to check out the various performances. When You're My Everything began I remembered it getting a bit of bashing on the Yesitsnumberone TOTP blog, and to be fair the record was better than the TOTP rendition.

Many of the TOTP versions from that period were dire. It is the records that matter and are remembered. Unless you need to see the dodgy cloths etc.
  • leslie123leslie123 Posts: 2,493
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Am I right in thinking that Opportunity Knocks was responsible for giving them their few weeks of fame?

Re : Our Kid and You might just see cry. It was actually New Faces from ATV in Birmingham and presented by Derek Hobson where they found their limited fame. I also have all the episodes of TOTP from 1976 that was shown on BBC4 on my Sky + and transferred to DVD, sadly some of which are tarnished by the presence of Savile.
  • Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    leslie123 wrote: »
    Re : Our Kid and You might just see cry. It was actually New Faces from ATV in Birmingham and presented by Derek Hobson where they found their limited fame. I also have all the episodes of TOTP from 1976 that was shown on BBC4 on my Sky + and transferred to DVD, sadly some of which are tarnished by the presence of Savile.

I was wondering if the "boys" from Our Kid would be able to still do a faithful vocal reproduction of their big, and only hit? :p
  • Multimedia81Multimedia81 Posts: 83,335
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was disappointed that Tony skipped Maureen Mcgovern's The Continental. It was nice to hear Lee Garrett's You're My Everything, although it does sometimes feature in the 70s at 7 on Magic Radio. At the time Radio 1 played and played and played it until it became a hit, as it was released that April. Similarly, the Sutherland Brothers and Quiver's Arms of Mary was played endlessly just weeks earlier until it became a hit.