Options

Eat, Fast and Live Longer (Monday 6 Aug - BBC2 9pm)

Comments

• Options
    LadyxxmacbethLadyxxmacbeth Posts: 1,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ive been doing it for years andd am still fat
  • Options
    KennyTKennyT Posts: 20,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dirtyhippy wrote: »
    your blind mate, yes I know people fast all the time, hey look at Muslims they fast all the time and all the ones I know are pretty fat.
    if you're referring to Ramadan, then they don't necessarily reduce their calorie intake during the month, they just eat at different times of the day from "normal".

K
  • Options
    Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    your blind mate, yes I know people fast all the time, hey look at Muslims they fast all the time and all the ones I know are pretty fat.

Made me laugh. All the Muslims I know are pretty slim!

I was actually referring to the practice of "fasting" on Fridays, which was prevalent in Christian circles; fasting here meaning reduced calorie intake. I don't think Ramadan would count, for the reasons given by Kenny T.

The fact that calorie reduction is a factor in longevity has been known for some time, this programme gave reasons why the scientists think it works, i.e. the growth hormone. Of course, they could be wrong - new things are being discovered all the time - but if it does work, that's all I need to try it out. :)

If it's not your thing, fine!
  • Options
    red29red29 Posts: 318
    Forum Member

Mulims fast during the month of Ramadam not "all the time" and they do not abstain from food during that period they eat at different times of the day to normal
  • Options
    solaresolare Posts: 11,604
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, I'm half-way through my first fasting day and I'm feeling a bit peckish (everyone has gone off to the canteen and they have some delicious-sounding puddings on the menu today!).

I decided to have my healthy snack in the evening (so I have something to look forward to) but perhaps it's better to have it in the mornings. I guess it will take a little trial and error to see what works best.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    solare wrote: »
    Well, I'm half-way through my first fasting day and I'm feeling a bit peckish (everyone has gone off to the canteen and they have some delicious-sounding puddings on the menu today!).

I decided to have my healthy snack in the evening (so I have something to look forward to) but perhaps it's better to have it in the mornings. I guess it will take a little trial and error to see what works best.

Good luck and stay strong! :) I'm going to try it as well
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    red29 wrote: »
    Good luck and stay strong! :) I'm going to try it as well
    Great! Let us know how you get on. :)
  • Options
    GellymissGellymiss Posts: 1,721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Me too and the hunger pains have finally just gone after being there all morning. The chap did say last night on the show that the hunger pains went in waves throughout the day... I think i'd rather have the calories in the evening though. I have a feeling i'd get very depressed after eating in the morning and thinking that's it for the day!:o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think I would have to make a low cal soup and eat that throughout the day!:D
  • Options
    fudbeerfudbeer Posts: 645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Enjoyed the programme and some of the arguments made sense but something did not feel right about the whole fasting thing.

To me your body is an amazing thing and if it is saying its hungry then its best to eat and not ignore that message.

Healthy regular eating and excersise keeps the motabolism working fast too which in turn will burn more calories.

You certainly don't feel like excersise if you have not eaten and it is not healthy to do so in those circumstances.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gellymiss wrote: »
    I think i'd rather have the calories in the evening though. I have a feeling i'd get very depressed after eating in the morning and thinking that's it for the day!:o
    That was my thinking too. I think I've managed to overcome the tricky lunchtime period and I feel ok now.
    fudbeer wrote: »
    To me your body is an amazing thing and if it is saying its hungry then its best to eat and not ignore that message.
    I agree we should listen to our bodies, but I wonder what really triggers those 'feeling hungry' messages. Is it always due to a lack of calories or is it sometimes due to habit/routine? When they have programmes about morbidly obese people, they often comment that they feel hungry even though they have more than enough calories to last a week without eating.
  • Options
    KennyTKennyT Posts: 20,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That was my thinking too. I think I've managed to overcome the tricky lunchtime period and I feel ok now.

I agree we should listen to our bodies, but I wonder what really triggers those 'feeling hungry' messages. Is it always due to a lack of calories or is it sometimes due to habit/routine? When they have programmes about morbidly obese people, they often comment that they feel hungry even though they have more than enough calories to last a week without eating.
    On the odd days when, for various reasons, I skip lunch, the hunger pangs last about an hour so, for me, it's often habit that determines when I eat.

K
  • Options
    fudbeerfudbeer Posts: 645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Think that is more to do with an addiction to sugar/crap food on the odd occasion I have fast food I often still feel hungary afterwards!
  • Options
    jonbwfcjonbwfc Posts: 18,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You also have to consider Pavlovian conditioning exists in humans, not just dogs. If certain things happen when you eat every day over a period of weeks or months, eventually you will associate those things with eating and therefore feel hungry when they happen. Whether you actually need calories in a strict biological sense at that point is a separate issue.

Your body gets into habits, basically. Not conforming to them makes it 'panic', so you get signals you don't necessarily have to follow.
  • Options
    kempshottkempshott Posts: 1,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it always due to a lack of calories or is it sometimes due to habit/routine?

I find if I'm really busy doing something active I can get to late afternoon without even realising I've missed lunch and don't feel at all hungry.

If I'm bored, I'll be starving by 11:30 even after a late breakfast.

Anyway, we're trying the 2/7 fast.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 454
    Forum Member
    I'm on the 'eating the right amount and exercising' diet. Worked wonders so far.
  • Options
    niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kempshott wrote: »
    I find if I'm really busy doing something active I can get to late afternoon without even realising I've missed lunch and don't feel at all hungry.

If I'm bored, I'll be starving by 11:30 even after a late breakfast.

Anyway, we're trying the 2/7 fast.

I'm the same. I get hungry around my usual meal times, but if for some reason I can't eat at that time, the hunger goes away again without me eating anything. Like they said on the show, cavemen didn't eat three times a day, this is just a habit our bodies are programmed to accept.
  • Options
    DirtyhippyDirtyhippy Posts: 2,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It seems people are looking for a Silver Bullet rather than making proper lifestyle adjustments. Its a fad diet that will be discredited at some point or just ignored by the majority of sensible people who know how to cook, eat and exercise properly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fudbeer wrote: »
    Enjoyed the programme and some of the arguments made sense but something did not feel right about the whole fasting thing.

Healthy regular eating and excersise keeps the motabolism working fast too which in turn will burn more calories.

You certainly don't feel like excersise if you have not eaten and it is not healthy to do so in those circumstances.

Didn't they say on the programme that stimulating the metabolism makes the body produce more of the baddie hormone?

I'll have to watch it again, I think.

In my case, eating is often habit - I eat lunch because i think it's "time" sometimes, not because I'm actually hungry. When I was young and whippet-thin I often used to forget to eat. Nowadays I tend to arrange my day round meals - just habit.

I suspect a period of fasting can help you to recognise the signals of real hunger again.
  • Options
    clara28clara28 Posts: 1,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was fascinating that life expectancy for Americans during their Great Depression rose by 6 years. Surely that says something.
  • Options
    DirtyhippyDirtyhippy Posts: 2,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The reason the life expectancy rose in the great depression is because of an adjustment in averages, rich people got poorer and died a bit sooner - therefore raising the average age of life expectancy temporarily. Very little to with diet as such.

Just a bit of parity coming into effect.

Talk about smoke and mirrors.
  • Options
    PinkPetuniaPinkPetunia Posts: 5,479
    Forum Member
    They did say at the end that to keep the levels down that it would have to be continued and have two fasting days every week .I am not sure that many would keep it up to be honest .
  • Options
    kempshottkempshott Posts: 1,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its a fad diet

You're repeating yourself - an early symptom of dementia. Maybe you should try it :D
  • Options
    atgatg Posts: 4,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

There were several ways of fasting trialled by the presenter, but the one he settled on, which seems to achieve the desired results was to fast 2 days a week. On those days he ate one meal only. (A normal meal - he chose breakfast).
    Stanley Matthews used to do this, except he only fasted on on day per week, usually Monday as that didn't interfere with playing football. This was later in his career, and he said he felt much fitter afterwards, in fact able to play in the 1st division at the age of 50.

I thought Mosley had done this sort of thing a couple of times in the past. He's certainly featured a calorie restrictor on one of his programmes, but I have been meaning to try this, or go on a fruit only day, for a while too.

I'll have to watch this and see how it's done.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The reason the life expectancy rose in the great depression is because of an adjustment in averages, rich people got poorer and died a bit sooner - therefore raising the average age of life expectancy temporarily. Very little to with diet as such.

Just a bit of parity coming into effect.

Talk about smoke and mirrors.

Now this I do agree with. The statement that people lived longer during the depression means nothing. It all depends on how the statistics are collated.

The people who didn't die of starvation lived longer?