Options

Plea to DS: Create a History section!

maddiesdoormaddiesdoor Posts: 828
Forum Member
✭✭
For a while now I thought it'd be brilliant to have a History section here on DS, loads of people talk about events, people etc in the TV forum (particularly 'the white queen' thread of late) and it'd be really handy to have it's own forum for debates and questions and discussions etc.

Quite a few have said the same, would you like the idea of a History forum?

Would you like a History forum? 110 votes

Yes!
67% 74 votes
No!
32% 36 votes

Comments

• Options
    maddiesdoormaddiesdoor Posts: 828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    poll added!
  • Options
    ChristmasCakeChristmasCake Posts: 26,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For a while now I thought it'd be brilliant to have a History section here on DS, loads of people talk about events, people etc in the TV forum (particularly 'the white queen' thread of late) and it'd be really handy to have it's own forum for debates and questions and discussions etc.

Quite a few have said the same, would you like the idea of a History forum?

Surely, all of that can take place here in GD?
  • Options
    benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It will not get enough support. There have been some really good discussions here about historical figures.
  • Options
    Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,834
    Forum Member
    If these things are already being discussed with no problems why have a separate section? Only those with a specific interest would even look at it. We have enough rarely used sub forums already.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Richard46 wrote: »
    If these things are already being discussed with no problems why have a separate section? Only those with a specific interest would even look at it. We have enough rarely used sub forums already.

I agree. GD has become diminished because of the sub forums and weeds flourish on barren ground.;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,105
    Forum Member
    Given the number of religious threads that populate the forum, I think they need to make one of those before they get to history.
  • Options
    Babe RainbowBabe Rainbow Posts: 34,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally, I think there should be fewer sub-forums, not more.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Completely agree.
    The book forum is now dire. Sometimes as few as 7 posts a day. Just endless lists of books with zero discussion. Books are my passion and I cannot be bothered:o
    And what can one say about Pets:confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member

Right any more excluding serious issues and there would be no point in having GS and Chatter. Already a big mistake to separate Politics from GS in my opinion.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Right any more excluding serious issues and there would be no point in having GS and Chatter.

Spot the difference.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Somebody'll be asking for a blimmin knot-making forum next.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I can understand the logic of someone who wants something sidelined calling for a sub-forum. If you want something discussed then leave it here where it gets seen.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember, a while ago,someone started a thread in GD about Bob Dylan and it was brilliant. Was getting loads of posts - about 3 pages in 20 minutes or something.

And then they moved it to music and it died straight away :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Posters say no but the poll says yes.:confused:
  • Options
    kulmarkulmar Posts: 1,965
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    benjamini wrote: »
    I agree. GD has become diminished because of the sub forums and weeds flourish on barren ground.;)

I agree.. GD used to be full of interesting threads now you have to wade through so much tosh I swear I saw a thread with a title I am Ugleh.. I mean seriously.. SERIOUSLY WTF..:(
  • Options
    Dr.  OtterblandDr. Otterbland Posts: 783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lets have a few discussion titles then to see what we've been missing.

Them Bronte Sisters, Phoar, all at once or in what order ?

Hitler, was he all bad ?
  • Options
    PootmatootPootmatoot Posts: 15,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    90% of the DS forums are dead, because the vast bulk of those discussions should be in General.
  • Options
    kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree. Too many sub-forums. Should be confined to Showbiz, Big Brother, technology and a few others. Food and drink, politics, books should be in here.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    benjamini wrote: »
    Posters say no but the poll says yes.:confused:

It would be interesting to hear from the yes voters what they think would be achieved by another sub-forum.
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Balkanisation rarely works

Look at the Balkans !
  • Options
    lola_skyelola_skye Posts: 21,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I 100% support this
  • Options
    ChristmasCakeChristmasCake Posts: 26,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lola_skye wrote: »
    I 100% support this

Out of interest, what would stop you posting threads about history in General Discussion?
  • Options
    AndyAndy Posts: 1,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are no current plans to introduce a history forum. I think part of the problem is that some posters simply refuse to post in forums other than General Discussion for whatever reason. I've seen numerous posts that have said "Oh, this thread has been moved, back to GD I go.", which in my opinion is ridiculous. If a thread has an interesting discussion, why do you care where it's posted?

A few people are referencing Politics in here, which in itself is one of our more thriving forums. There'd be little else on the front page of the General Discussion forum were it merged with Politics.

Do we have forums that aren't as active as we'd like? Yes, and we're always reviewing them, but I can guarantee you were they merged in here, you'd have people posting things like "Why is your thread about dinner of any importance?" and "Is this really worth discussing?". I personally think it'd look quite silly having threads about what your lunch was next to a sensitive thread about an event that happened in the world.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    lola_skye wrote: »
    I 100% support this

It would be interesting to know why.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would be interesting to hear from the yes voters what they think would be achieved by another sub-forum.

It would be nice if a few of them discussed why they want it.