My dad has bad cough due to cold/flu. Any remedies you could suggest to ease it?

marc_p88marc_p88 Posts: 1,133
Forum Member
✭✭✭
He's got this terrible cough due to a cold he has picked up from somewhere. He will go for long periods of coughing quite hard.

Anyways you can suggest easing it?

Comments

• Robert_LaverickRobert_Laverick Posts: 200
    Forum Member
    Echinacea tablets and Zinc (Asda?) To boost his immune system. Actually for the cough - Explain type of cough to pharmacist and they should recommend best "linctus" for the job.;)
  • marc_p88marc_p88 Posts: 1,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know if it's flu, but he was supposed to have had his flu jab recently. It's either a common cold or flu, but what would you suggest he eats or takes? He's had lemsip all in one, menthol sweets, gargled salt water and all that jazz. I was thinking of getting him to eat more fruit and veg as he rarely eats it.

What about Multivitamins?
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Hot water, real lemon juice, good helping of honey (also sugar if needed) and two paracetamol, all stirred up and dissolved together, repeat up to four times a day (max 8 tablets in 24 hours).

It sounds simple, but it does help, as the honey and lemon soothe the throat, making it easier on the coughing.
  • oldhagoldhag Posts: 2,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Colds and flu are completely different. It's a cold, they often finish with a bad cough. It will pass there is no cure.
    Forum Member
    marc_p88 wrote: »
    I don't know if it's flu, but he was supposed to have had his flu jab recently. It's either a common cold or flu, but what would you suggest he eats or takes? He's had lemsip all in one, menthol sweets, gargled salt water and all that jazz. I was thinking of getting him to eat more fruit and veg as he rarely eats it.

What about Multivitamins?

Aye, and get him some Vit "C" tablets - Very good for chasing off colds/Flu.

Previous poster mentioned "no cure for a cold". Same for 'Flu; they're BOTH viruses...
  • KidMoeKidMoe Posts: 5,851
    Forum Member
    If you aren't sure it's the flu, it's probably not the flu. Proper flu is not just a bad cold, it lays you out and leaves you barely functional for days on end.

For colds, the usual rules apply. Lots of fluids, rest, paracetamol etc.
    Forum Member

WEBMD is an excellent source for of info for a multitude of illnesses, IMHO.
  • SunnierSunnier Posts: 850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Allicin is a very good natural remedy,..

"Allicin is good for chest complaints, especially troublesome and persistent coughs, since it has a major antitussive activity. Unlike most over-the-counter medicines allicin powder can destroy both bacterial and viral organisms with consummate ease." (from an online source)

Manuka Honey is another,..

"Regular honey is known to have mild healing ingredients, however, studies show that honey made from the manuka or tea tree is far more potent. Researchers at the University of Waikato in New Zealand have demonstrated that manuka honey is an effective antiseptic and antibacterial "superfood" capable of treating both internal and external conditions. Powerful remedies using manuka honey are used both in medical and home settings."

Could be worth trying out.
  • duckymallardduckymallard Posts: 13,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Saw this one recently - haven't tried it myself.

Use Vicks Vaporub on your feet and put on a pair of socks before going to bed. Saw it on a web page, where numerous folks reported success.

Tried and tested remedy is a Hot Toddy.

2 Teaspoons of honey, large measure of Whisky/Brandy in a mug, topped up with boiling water.
  • KidMoeKidMoe Posts: 5,851
    Forum Member
    Saw this one recently - haven't tried it myself.

Use Vicks Vaporub on your feet and put on a pair of socks before going to bed. Saw it on a web page, where numerous folks reported success.

I really can't think of a reason why doing this could possibly work.
  • duckymallardduckymallard Posts: 13,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    KidMoe wrote: »
    I really can't think of a reason why doing this could possibly work.

Nor me - but if you're coughing a spluttering and cannot sleep - it's worth a punt. ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lots of water and vindaloo and lots of water
  • nobodyherenobodyhere Posts: 1,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Makes me wonder where you live as the same things been going around where I live, i got struck down with a double whammy myself (man flu + bad throat/chest, lost voice for a bit)

Plenty of fluids to keep the body hydrated (water/juice, not tea/coffee)
    If you got a bit of a dicky tummy stick with simple soups + bread, if you've got the stomach something spicy will go a long way... lots of energy in that food and it'll help you sweat it out

Main thing is watch the loss of appetite if you can't do a full meal thats fine but you need to eat something, the body needs the fuel

Be careful about cold + flu remedies alot of them are loaded with caffine i.e. the capsule based ones you get in supermarkets

Something like strepsils work if you can find the non-sugar ones at soothing the roughness on throat

The hydration bits important all round but especially as you get older so you'll want to make sure that base is covered first and formost.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nobodyhere wrote: »
    Makes me wonder where you live as the same things been going around where I live, i got struck down with a double whammy myself (man flu + bad throat/chest, lost voice for a bit)
    The Isle of cough? Things go round every year everywhere.
  • ElyanElyan Posts: 8,781
    Forum Member
    Go over the to the window and stick your tongue out.
    Forum Member
    Sunnier wrote: »
    Allicin is a very good natural remedy,..

"Allicin is good for chest complaints, especially troublesome and persistent coughs, since it has a major antitussive activity. Unlike most over-the-counter medicines allicin powder can destroy both bacterial and viral organisms with consummate ease." (from an online source)

*Garlic capsules between you and me!;)

Keep on taking it, and as well as guarding you from Bacteria/Viruses, it naturally lowers Cholesterol, allowing you to do away with "Statins" given to you by your doctor, if you suffer side-effects.
  • MartinPickeringMartinPickering Posts: 3,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll tell you what kills the cough reflex for me. Boil up tap water and pour into a suitable pyrex bowl or steel can (I use a large, empty coffee granule can). Sprinkle a couple of menthol crystals in then cover with a towel. Peel back the towel a little and breath the vapour intermittently for five minutes. Have tissues handy.

This has the effect of making your nose run and eyes water. It helps clear the sinuses and clears catarrh from the throat. It's aggressive but also soothing.

Follow up with a few sips of Raki with honey and cinnamon. Then plenty of water.

The menthol inhalation can be repeated several times a day, if required, but especially just before bedtime.

If someone can massage the neck and shoulders during the inhalation, it's very soothing (but your eyes will water!)

SAFETY!
    Keep children away from the hot water. Use oven gloves to handle the can or bowl. Get rid of it safely as soon as finished with it.
  • denzil28denzil28 Posts: 1,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My wife always gets coughs every year and nothing has ever touched or relieved them until recently.

I was told to try getting folcadine linctus for her and see if that worked. It certainly helped sooth and reduce the coughing. And the less coughing the less damage is done to your throat (which usually causes more coughing) and the quicker you get better.

They sell it for a few quid in Boots, always worth a try to see if it at least helps relieve the symptoms (it isn't a cure though).
  • LightningIguanaLightningIguana Posts: 21,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pineapple juice is supposed to be good, better than lemon apparently.
  • marc_p88marc_p88 Posts: 1,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nobodyhere wrote: »

Plenty of fluids to keep the body hydrated (water/juice, not tea/coffee)
    If you got a bit of a dicky tummy stick with simple soups + bread, if you've got the stomach something spicy will go a long way... lots of energy in that food and it'll help you sweat it out

Main thing is watch the loss of appetite if you can't do a full meal thats fine but you need to eat something, the body needs the fuel

Be careful about cold + flu remedies alot of them are loaded with caffine i.e. the capsule based ones you get in supermarkets

Something like strepsils work if you can find the non-sugar ones at soothing the roughness on throat

The hydration bits important all round but especially as you get older so you'll want to make sure that base is covered first and formost.

Thanks for the info. He's had the cough bad for about 3 days and yesterday he was physically sick. I don't know what to advise him really. I made him a fruit smoothie so he can get some vitamins and he's been taking lemsip and drinking lemon and honey.

He's literally not sleeping because the cough is keeping him up. I want to help but not sure what else I can suggest. He's very impatient and thinks it will just go away somehow. The cough is the main problem as it hurts when he coughs. He's been acting like he's the only one to ever have a bad cold which is annoying me.
  • giz a tabgiz a tab Posts: 975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He's got this terrible cough due to a cold he has picked up from somewhere. He will go for long periods of coughing quite hard.

Ever thought of going to the docs?
  • ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Pholcodine: best cough medicine ever.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Generally you'll only cough hard, as the phlegm wont shift. Benadryl do an excellent phlegm loosening tablet. Get him those. They're excellent. They helped me so much earlier this year when I had Bronchitis. Best buy ever.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pineapple juice is supposed to be good, better than lemon apparently.
    Good for inflammation in general too apparently