Which DJ is the King/Queen of DJs?

RandomPeter94RandomPeter94 Posts: 4,935
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Well like having the King and Queen of pop, Michael Jackson and Madonna. King of rock and roll, Elvis.

Today there are loads of DJs in the charts, but which one is the King or Queen of DJs? If there isn't one, which one would you say is so?

I would say David Guetta is the King of DJs.

Comments

• AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Armin without a doubt.
  • mialiciousmialicious Posts: 4,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Grandmaster flash is the most influential and is included in the rock and roll hall of fame.
  • uniqueunique Posts: 12,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't consider any dj a king or queen. the best you would get would be david mancuso or larry levan or Frankie knuckles who were the real pioneers of dj'ing as we know it in the dance world. of course you also have the likes of grandmaster flash, jam master jay and terminator x, but the people I named first came before them and became some of the people most dj's would look up to. they pioneered the mix
  • RandomPeter94RandomPeter94 Posts: 4,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never heard of any of them lol. David Guetta is the most long running DJ I know aha.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 65
    Forum Member
    Depends on the type of music. DJ Khalid has had a long running career, though.
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Frankie Knuckles was a legend and a pioneer in DJ 'ing.
  • Eric_BlobEric_Blob Posts: 7,756
    Forum Member
    Depends on the type of music. DJ Khalid has had a long running career, though.

Thing with DJ Khaled is he's popular with young males, but most other people don't know who he is.

Whoever gets regarded as the "DJ king" will be someone that everybody from your grand-parents and your little sisters will know. I think probably David Guetta, especially since I Gotta Feeling is probably the most successful song of the past 10 years. Maybe Calvin Harris.

David Guetta is pretty boring, but frankly anybody more adventurous musically isn't going to get that famous...
  • BRITLANDBRITLAND Posts: 3,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David Guetta on a world scale but maybe Calvin Harris here, I'm not a fan of either but just my take due to chart successes etc
  • ThrasymachusThrasymachus Posts: 2,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well like having the King and Queen of pop, Michael Jackson and Madonna. King of rock and roll, Elvis.

Today there are loads of DJs in the charts, but which one is the King or Queen of DJs? If there isn't one, which one would you say is so?

I would say David Guetta is the King of DJs.
    David Guetta is a **** who has been caught faking it on a number of occasions. He wouldn't even be in my top 1000

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zoht05kr4D0
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 79
    Forum Member
    Frankie Knuckles or Grandmaster Flash.
  • Gigi4Gigi4 Posts: 3,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure there is one. The whole thing of dj's as pop stars and celebrities to me is kind of on its way out. It was kind of a 90's thing, where people could become huge stars and make a lot of money just by playing records at clubs. That's kind of passe now. The club scene isn't what it used to be as it was at the height of acid house.

Yes, there are people who work as dj's in the charts such as Calvin Harris, Avicii and David Guetta, but there are more electronic producers than just dj's.

I think the whole hype around dj's is silly. To me just mixing two songs together is not that impressive or even hard to learn. People say dj's are faking it when they do gigs. My question is faking what? They are just playing other people's records! It's not like lip synching or miming playing guitars or drums, something that takes talent, skill or a lot of practice to do in the first place! I respect people who write or produce their own original electronic music, but if you're just a dj I don't find that too impressive.
  • mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,456
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It may be considered an unfortunate quirk of history now but Jimmy Savile is credited with being one of the first people to use dual turntables for continuous music playing and pioneering the idea of the DJ (1947).

Personally I would consider Grandmaster Flash or maybe Frankie Knuckles as others have suggested.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Female maybe is DJ Spinderella from Salt N Pepa. although it's dubious at how skillful she actually was at it.
    Just remembered this song :)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G83wy69Ki2A
  • scrillascrilla Posts: 2,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mialicious wrote: »
    Female maybe is DJ Spinderella from Salt N Pepa. although it's dubious at how skillful she actually was at it.
    If I remember correctly their first DJ was called Spinderella and the next lady who replaced her had the same moniker.
  • homer2012homer2012 Posts: 5,216
    Forum Member
    King has to be frankie knuckles
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    John Peel.
  • uniqueunique Posts: 12,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gigi4 wrote: »
    Not sure there is one. The whole thing of dj's as pop stars and celebrities to me is kind of on its way out. It was kind of a 90's thing, where people could become huge stars and make a lot of money just by playing records at clubs. That's kind of passe now. The club scene isn't what it used to be as it was at the height of acid house.

Yes, there are people who work as dj's in the charts such as Calvin Harris, Avicii and David Guetta, but there are more electronic producers than just dj's.

I think the whole hype around dj's is silly. To me just mixing two songs together is not that impressive or even hard to learn. People say dj's are faking it when they do gigs. My question is faking what? They are just playing other people's records! It's not like lip synching or miming playing guitars or drums, something that takes talent, skill or a lot of practice to do in the first place! I respect people who write or produce their own original electronic music, but if you're just a dj I don't find that too impressive.

i've seen dj's turn up and just play stuff that's premixed so they aren't actually really doing anything. their brothers mate could just do the same thing, turn up press play and the end sound is the same. others have a routine worked out and don't change it for any reason, regardless of the crowd reaction. the worst thing i saw was david guetta on glastonbury or something. basically pretending to mix his own records on cdj's and putting his arms in the air. who on earth thought that would make good telly?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    scrilla wrote: »
    If I remember correctly their first DJ was called Spinderella and the next lady who replaced her had the same moniker.
    The original spinderella got sacked before they hit the big time.. shes like the pete best of HipHop.:p
  • mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,456
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    unique wrote: »
    i've seen dj's turn up and just play stuff that's premixed so they aren't actually really doing anything. their brothers mate could just do the same thing, turn up press play and the end sound is the same. others have a routine worked out and don't change it for any reason, regardless of the crowd reaction. the worst thing i saw was david guetta on glastonbury or something. basically pretending to mix his own records on cdj's and putting his arms in the air. who on earth thought that would make good telly?

Yes, it was David Guetta at Glastonbury. I was afraid that was going to be the future kind of 'performance' at Glastonbury but I don't think it has been repeated so far.

On the other hand I thought Public Enemy were quite good with the decks last year at Glastonbury?
  • ashtray88ashtray88 Posts: 1,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mialicious wrote: »

LOl, there really aren't that many female DJs for some reason. The only one I know is Mark Ronson's sister.. I think she's called Sam..possibly. Although she's more famous for going out with Lindsay Lohan.
  • JurassicMarkJurassicMark Posts: 12,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dave Clarke, especially in the early/mid 90's
    Also Jeff Mills and Richie Hawtin.

Here's Jeff Mills to show how it's done properly.
  • AudioRebelAudioRebel Posts: 32,201
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Smashie & Nicey
  • SpaceToiletsSpaceToilets Posts: 3,343
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Larry Levan, close thread.
  • sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What about fatboyslim? He's been pretty successful