Options

Who is the oldest soap actor/actress still alive?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
Forum Member
With both Anna Wing and Edna Dore both having died in the last year I am thinking Sheila Mercier (Annie Sugden) is the oldest actress? She is 95. June Spencer who plays Peggy in The Archers is 94. Can anyone think of an actor or actress older than this?

Comments

• Options
    lionkingonstagelionkingonstage Posts: 3,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With both Anna Wing and Edna Dore both having died in the last year I am thinking Sheila Mercier (Annie Sugden) is the oldest actress? She is 95. June Spencer who plays Peggy in The Archers is 94. Can anyone think of an actor or actress older than this?

You probably may be right about Sheila Mercier being the oldest surviving soap star. Can't think of nobody else.
  • Options
    BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dr Legg is still with us but is 'only' 88.
  • Options
    demon freakdemon freak Posts: 85
    Forum Member
    June Brown (Dot EE) is 87
  • Options
    PCBHPCBH Posts: 180
    Forum Member
    Mary Ward who played Mum Brooks in Prisoner Cell Block H is still alive. Recently celebrated her 100th birthday!!
  • Options
    sheddy99sheddy99 Posts: 5,760
    Forum Member
    Shirley in Eastenders is 817.
  • Options
    Dr K NoisewaterDr K Noisewater Posts: 11,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    June Brown (Dot EE) is 87

It amazes me that June Brown is still working at 87, shes incredible. To think she was 58 when eastenders began so only two years off standard retirement age yet almost 30 years later and she's still there.
  • Options
    Tom-Bennett.Tom-Bennett. Posts: 2,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Isn't the actor who plays Sandy Thomas in ED in his mid to late 80's too?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Isn't the actor who plays Sandy Thomas in ED in his mid to late 80's too?

Same age as June Brown
  • Options
    Shak2005Shak2005 Posts: 656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stephen Hancock who played Ernest Bishop in Corrie is 86.
  • Options
    ArthurJBearArthurJBear Posts: 6,909
    Forum Member
    Donlad Tandy (who played Tom Clements) from EastEnders is 12 days older than Sehila

Elizabeth Kelly (Aunt Nellie) and Arnold Yarrow (Benny Bloom) also from EE are both 93
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ber wrote: »
    Dr Legg is still with us but is 'only' 88.

Same as Jean Alexander then - who is also 88.

Betty Driver was of course 91 - but sadly no longer with us.

Must be Sheila Mercier - 95, a good age and sounds like peeps are struggling to beat or top that, at the moment.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the replies. Seems Donald Tandy is the eldest though according to IMDB he hasn't acted since Tom died in the Vic in 88.
    Arnold Yarrow was born in 1920.
    I do hope Sheila Mercier will make one final appearance in Emmerdale.
  • Options
    inverness1967inverness1967 Posts: 1,216
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PCBH wrote: »
    Mary Ward who played Mum Brooks in Prisoner Cell Block H is still alive. Recently celebrated her 100th birthday!!

And fantastic as Dee Morrell in Sons and Daughters.
  • Options
    doug82doug82 Posts: 125
    Forum Member
    I think both Vivienne grey (Nell Mangel) and moya o'sullivan (Marlene Kratz) from Neighbours are both 89
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Same as Jean Alexander then - who is also 88.

Betty Driver was of course 91 - but sadly no longer with us.

Must be Sheila Mercier - 95, a good age and sounds like peeps are struggling to beat or top that, at the moment.
    Really?? She certainly didn't look (or act) it. 30 years younger.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24
    Forum Member
    Dot cotton has got to be older then 87, I heard she was around the same time as the dinosaurs. That would explain why she has been cast as a raptor in the new Jurassic Park movie.
  • Options
    jxbrennajxbrenna Posts: 977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It amazes me that June Brown is still working at 87, shes incredible. To think she was 58 when eastenders began so only two years off standard retirement age yet almost 30 years later and she's still there.

i honestly completely forget how old she really is :) she only looks like around her 60's and she moves better can most people her age (No offense). i hope I'm as active as her when I'm that age, shes an inspiration :)
  • Options
    abbottababbottab Posts: 1,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shirley from EE, she used to be Zelda in the Terrahawks! :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jxbrenna wrote: »
    i honestly completely forget how old she really is :) she only looks like around her 60's and she moves better can most people her age (No offense). i hope I'm as active as her when I'm that age, shes an inspiration :)

She is an inspiration... she'll probably go on for years. Looking that great, I don't think she'll stop anytime soon :)
  • Options
    onemorearrowonemorearrow Posts: 179
    Forum Member
    I think Doris Speed (Annie Walker from Coro) was 95 when she passed away back in the 1990s
  • Options
    jxbrennajxbrenna Posts: 977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shirley is that old she makes Doctor Who look like a child! :) just saying
  • Options
    GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PCBH wrote: »

Liked her in Prisoner. :D
  • Options
    nostalgic62nostalgic62 Posts: 365
    Forum Member
    Surely it's got to be Charlie Hardwick from Emmerdale isn't it. Her wikipedia DOB surely can't be 1960 can it?:D
  • Options
    Dr K NoisewaterDr K Noisewater Posts: 11,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Doris Speed (Annie Walker from Coro) was 95 when she passed away back in the 1990s

Didn't she lie about her age claiming to be younger than she actually was? Or was that her character Annie walker who did that?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the actress who plays Emily bishop must be in her late 80s .