Nigel Kneale dies

ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,606
Forum Member
✭✭
The creator of Quatermass and inspiration for much British TV Sci Fi has passed on

BBC announcement

Sadly missed :(

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shrike wrote:
    The creator of Quatermass and inspiration for much British TV Sci Fi has passed on

BBC announcement

That is sad news. His legacy lives on with what he has influenced in others work.

As you said he will be sadly missed. :(
  • cobaltmalecobaltmale Posts: 21,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A sad loss. Definitely among the greats of British sci-fi, alongside Whyndam and HG Wells.

G
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 314
    Forum Member
    Sad news indeed. One of the greats!

I had to laugh a little bit at the BBC announcement, where it says "Quatermass paved the way for shows like Doctor Who". I'm sure I read somewhere that Kneale HATED "Doctor Who"!

(Mind you, I could be wrong, if so I apologise, but I'm pretty sure I'm right.)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,004
    Forum Member
    The Year of the Sex Olympics, made in 1968, imagined a future in which the public are subjugated by reality TV which places volunteers in a remote house and monitors their every move.

And he got this right. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 113
    Forum Member
    Shrike wrote:

BBC announcement

Indeed. Oddly, I was looking at the wikipedia and imdb entries for Quatermass only yesterday.
  • ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Stone Tape scared the crap out of me when I saw it donkey's years ago. :eek:
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I only caught the Stone Tape last year when it was shown on BBC4 - the effects were really dated, but the story still stood up well and was very creepy!
  • DICKENS99DICKENS99 Posts: 2,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    o-jam wrote:
    Sad news indeed. One of the greats!

I had to laugh a little bit at the BBC announcement, where it says "Quatermass paved the way for shows like Doctor Who". I'm sure I read somewhere that Kneale HATED "Doctor Who"!

(Mind you, I could be wrong, if so I apologise, but I'm pretty sure I'm right.)

I believe he was asked to write for it in the early days but rejected the offer saying the whole concept of the show was one of those 'bathtime thoughts' which seem like a really good idea as you're relaxing amongst the suds but which should be left to drain away with the dirty water. Or something like that. Either way, 43 years later what did he know :p
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice tribute by Mark Gatiss on the BBC site
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6107564.stm

Mr Gatiss was spot on describing him as a pioneer. Mr Kneale should not be remembered as "just" a great writer of science fiction, he was much more than that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    o-jam wrote:
    I'm sure I read somewhere that Kneale HATED "Doctor Who"!

I love Dr Who (current and classic). It was a great show, but it was not great science fiction. The same could be said for the current revamp.
  • The_MasterThe_Master Posts: 2,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shrike wrote:
    I only caught the Stone Tape last year when it was shown on BBC4 - the effects were really dated, but the story still stood up well and was very creepy!

Really annoyed I missed that, perhaps it will be wheeled out once more by way of a tribute.
  • ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's worth mentioning that 30 years ago, in black and white, The Stone Tape really was terrifying. The recent showing, in colour, was mercifully, a bit less harrowing. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,102
    Forum Member
    I'd love to see these old shows. Please shout loudly if BBC/ITV do decide to screen any!
  • Gutted GirlGutted Girl Posts: 3,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is really sad news. He genuinely was one of the greats.

I hope that they do reshow The Stone Tape, as that's something that I'd love to see as well. I'd also really like to see The Year Of The Sex Olympics... he really got that right.
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not seen all that much of his work* though I remember watching the 1979 Quatermass series and being impressed with it.

*Though looking at IMDB I probably have seen more than I realised.
  • The_MasterThe_Master Posts: 2,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ironjade wrote:
    It's worth mentioning that 30 years ago, in black and white, The Stone Tape really was terrifying. The recent showing, in colour, was mercifully, a bit less harrowing. :)

If they do repeat it I'd better dig my B&W Portable out of the loft then. :D
  • DavyPaulDavyPaul Posts: 75
    Forum Member
    Well, what a surprise - I saw this news on the BBC site. Mark Gatiss has a tribute.

Stone Tapes has got to be one of the most chilling supernatural/SF stories on TV! I didn't realise he's adapted "Woman in Black" too - also a chiller...

I think that Quatermass and the Pit (TV & film) is a superb story and it gives me the creeps every time I watch it.

I do hope that BBC4 does a 'season' including the John Mills Quatermass - with all the 'rave hippy kids' chanting and dancing on the way to Stonehenge...

A great loss
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 431
    Forum Member
    I think he proved science fiction could be "serious". I bought the Quatermass DVD release a couple of years ago, and Quatermass and the Pit is an amazing piece of work. I also bought The Stone Tape which is well worth a look - the effects may be dated but the story is fascinating and scary. Sad there aren't more like him today. Hopefully BBC4 might do a tribute. Mark Gatiss' tribute on the BBC site is very good.
  • KennyTKennyT Posts: 20,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ironjade wrote:
    The Stone Tape scared the crap out of me when I saw it donkey's years ago. :eek:
    Yep, me too! Time for a remake I think, BBC4!. Don't change the plot/script, just the sfx.

K
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,102
    Forum Member
    Never mind the remakes - any whispers of the originals being shown?
  • KennyTKennyT Posts: 20,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yoonix wrote:
    Never mind the remakes - any whispers of the originals being shown?
    I think The Stone Tape was shown on BBC4 at about the same time as they did the 'live' Quatermass remake last year?

Still. BBC4 - never knowingly unrepeated!

K
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It only seems like yesterday when I was reading his Interview in Starburst magazine when ITV were showing Quatermass in 1979.
    KennyT wrote:
    I think The Stone Tape was shown on BBC4 at about the same time as they did the 'live' Quatermass remake last year?
    K

The Stone Tape and Year Of The Sex Olympics have been released on DVD.

A great pity that his superb adaptation of Susan Hill's the Woman In Black isn't!

Good-bye Mr Kneale and thank you.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KennyT wrote:
    Yep, me too! Time for a remake I think, BBC4!. Don't change the plot/script, just the sfx.

K

At least The Stone Tape still exists; if they have to re-make anything make it The Road - one of the casualties of the BBC purge.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    a few video clips of him being interviewed
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcfour/documentaries/timeshift/kneale-interview.shtml

(including "Why he refused to work on Doctor Who")
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A Documentary about Nigel Kneale "The Kneale Tapes" is on on 20th Nov as part of BBC4's Scifi season.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcfour/documentaries/timeshift/nigel-kneale.shtml