Options

X Factor 09 Charity Song- You Are Not Alone

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,953
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/xfactor/news/a183531/x-factor-stars-record-charity-single.html

Looks like 'you are not alone' will be this years 'Hero'.

Im really happy with the song choice, and its going to help raise money for Kids in Great Ormond Street Hospital. I know first hand how great that hospital is and im so happy :).

Looking forward to hearing it :D

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,652
    Forum Member
    Wonderful charity lets hope they do it justice as a song as well.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 61
    Forum Member
    im looking forward to hearing it, itll go to number one so will raise plenty money
  • Options
    TakeachancexTakeachancex Posts: 8,029
    Forum Member
    Yeah same ! Can't wait to hear it. It's all for a good cause too. :)
  • Options
    gelbma0991gelbma0991 Posts: 4,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm NOT looking forward to this song I have to say :p I bet they murder it lol.

So, since I am all for a good cause I'm donating a fiver to GOSH myself! That way they get more money than they would if I bought the single anyway haha. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 509
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looking forward to hearing it and I have already pre-ordered the single from amazon. However, I wished they had picked another song to cover. You Are Not Alone is so dull... If they were to pick another MJ song I think Man In The Mirror would have been a better choice.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Let's just hope the doors don't open on John & Edward and Lloyd!
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A feature from the Sun about the contestants visiting the kids at GOSH here :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,652
    Forum Member
    My son now aged 30 was sent there with me in an ambulance when he was just 3 months old they were amazing.. so buy it even if you dont like it, if it costs you 2 quid the reason behind it are soo soo good...if you do nothing else for charity this year do this...

GG
  • Options
    DeerdDeerd Posts: 21,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good cause... although, and I know it's petty and a personal bugbear, but I do wish sometimes that there was wider dispersion of charity funds to all the hospitals for sick kids around the country... rather than the national focus always being on Great Ormond Street.
  • Options
    TigerpawsTigerpaws Posts: 11,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My son now aged 30 was sent there with me in an ambulance when he was just 3 months old they were amazing.. so buy it even if you dont like it, if it costs you 2 quid the reason behind it are soo soo good...if you do nothing else for charity this year do this...

GG

People are better off donating what they would have spent on the single directly to the hospital at least that way they get more money than the pittance that is actually donated from each single.
  • Options
    actuallyactually Posts: 1,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    as long as john and edward are the main "auto-tune" vocalists - it will be a hit

as they are the fave now to win !!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You are not alone is one of my favourite MJ songs - hope they do it justice.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

GG

I'd rather just donate 10 times that amount directly to GOSH. It's sad that Cowell is trying to find some way to cash in on MJ's death. I doubt they would be singing that song if he wasn't dead.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dear deity of your choice. :(

Ghastly.
  • Options
    StubeStube Posts: 16,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd rather just donate 10 times that amount directly to GOSH. It's sad that Cowell is trying to find some way to cash in on MJ's death. I doubt they would be singing that song if he wasn't dead.

I totally agree. Simon is actually insulting MJ AND the charity. It seems very very cynical.

However, if it's listenable (Hero - bar Eoghan - was) i will buy it.
  • Options
    dexydaldexydal Posts: 1,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

He is not personally cashing in on his death. MJ's family have given permission for him to use the song in aid of GOSH.

I think it is great they are doing this for such a worthy cause.
  • Options
    Unigal07Unigal07 Posts: 22,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll probably purchase it since it's for charity... but to be honest I'd be tempted to donate myself instead of making myself listen to J&E when I don't have to.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dexydal wrote: »
    He is not personally cashing in on his death. MJ's family have given permission for him to use the song in aid of GOSH.

I think it is great they are doing this for such a worthy cause.

I won't debate on here whether or not I think some of MJ's family are cashing in on his death, but of course they are going to give permission. With regards to charity, I can't deny that he will raise awareness about GOSH, but I will be very surprised if every penny from the sales of that single will go to GOSH.
  • Options
    gelbma0991gelbma0991 Posts: 4,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I won't debate on here whether or not I think some of MJ's family are cashing in on his death, but of course they are going to give permission. With regards to charity, I can't deny that he will raise awareness about GOSH, but I will be very surprised if every penny from the sales of that single will go to GOSH.

People can say what they want about me here, but I'm purely not buying the single for 2 reasons. The MAIN reason as a huge MJ fan is that they are basically using his death to make money regardless of whether it's for a good cause or not, and secondly I do not want to purchase a cover of one of my favourite songs when I know fine well it will be completely trashed.

As above, not all of the 79p (if you're going for iTunes) is going to go to the charity and to be honest, as I've already said I'd rather donate my own money directly to the charity.
  • Options
    Jaymitch1Jaymitch1 Posts: 6,426
    Forum Member
    its a great cause which the charity single is going to. unfortunatly im not overly happy that an MJ song is about to be murdered. and that the 'number one' spot will be filled with yet more x factor monsters. i think simon should do the decent thing and give a fair wod of his own cash to the charity, rather than inflicting this crap on us, for yet another year.
    and no i dont care what anyone has to say to that :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 162
    Forum Member
    When people suggest that not all of the money from these charity singles goes to the charity, they are of course, right, but stll ever so slightly missing a part of the point. Thousands of pounds of charity money is spent each year on advertising - and rightly so. Without promoting the work that they do, charities can be forgotten, particularly when it comes to legacies and the like. What a charity single like this does - far beyond just the money that is made from it - is promote the charity to an even greater extent. On the back of this single GOSHCC will be seen in newspapers, news reports, on the shelves in shops, and featured prominantly on one of the top shows on TV - not just at no cost, but at a monetary gain for themselves.

I understand that charitable donations are a tricky area, but if I was a charity, I would probably rather have a cut of the procedes plus the publicity that the equivalent donations - but even then, if only half the people who say they would rather donate straight to the charity themselves rather than buy the single, actually do so, then it will have had an added fundraising benefit.

Fair play to X Factor, and all involved.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 62
    Forum Member

you certainly don't need to raise awareness about GOSH. everyone knows about it. it's the small charities that need help, not the same big five over and over again. there's no-one who doesn't know about GOSH
  • Options
    rickster1995rickster1995 Posts: 5,556
    Forum Member
    the week they sing it on the show will be a michael jackson week ;)
  • Options
    Since YesterdaySince Yesterday Posts: 5,051
    Forum Member
    Cowell is trying to find some way to cash in on MJ's death. I doubt they would be singing that song if he wasn't dead.
    I think it's difficult to see it any other way. Why pick such an awful dirge of a song, after all? Still, it's a great cause. As long as his money-grabbing family don't see even a penny of the proceeds.