Options

Anyone on antidepressants.....

2»

Comments

• Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Citalopram did nothing for me, neither positive or negative. Could have been a placebo for all the good it did. I sometimes wonder whether these new drugs such as Citalopram and Prozac are actually unsuitable for severe clinical depression.. and are actually made for the masses who have some degree of milder depression.

I got prescribed some of the older drugs, Amitriptyline, Trazadone, Buspirone to little effect.

Right now I'm on a brand new antidepressant called Valdoxan, which I think is a wonder drug for sleep.. not many people have heard of it yet, but supposedly the side effect profile is ridiculously good.. most people report no side effects, nor SSRI withdrawal upon cessation. It's far more favorable for side effects than even Prozac.

Although I am also of the firm belief that the THC in Cannabis also acts as a good natural antidepressant.

Lamotrigine has been useful as a mood stabiliser.

I've never had 'brain shocks', nausea, impotence or any of these other 'nastier' side effects widely reported from antidepressants.
  • Options
    Elphie_LivesElphie_Lives Posts: 4,455
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh I also forgot the sex side of Citalopram, I actually can't have an orgasm anymore. Still get in the mood, but it just never comes. Though I know alot of anti-depressants do that, so I guess I'll have to get used to that.
  • Options
    Charcole911Charcole911 Posts: 6,353
    Forum Member
    I'm on 20mg prozac, still can orgasm but can take aaages
  • Options
    bossoftheworldbossoftheworld Posts: 4,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh I also forgot the sex side of Citalopram, I actually can't have an orgasm anymore. Still get in the mood, but it just never comes. Though I know alot of anti-depressants do that, so I guess I'll have to get used to that.

I read a post on another forum (a mental health forum) where a guy was saying that soon he would be 'chemically castrated' by using citalopram - it was what he wanted because he had some sort of sex problem.
  • Options
    jules1000jules1000 Posts: 10,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am shocked at reading all these posts.:eek:

I think the side effects of these drugs would be enough to make me feel depressed and they call them anti depressants...

Do the benefits outweigh the negatives.?? Genuine question.

My sister works for an American insurance company that deals with pharmacutical claims and she was telling me about the drug Ritalin and all the negative side effects etc.,etc., I sometimes wonder who is benefiting from issuing all these drugs. If they genuinely make you feel better then I suppose they are worth it...
  • Options
    Elphie_LivesElphie_Lives Posts: 4,455
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jules1000 wrote: »

I think the side effects of these drugs would be enough to make me feel depressed and they call them anti depressants...

My sister works for an American insurance company that deals with pharmacutical claims and she was telling me about the drug Ritalin and all the negative side effects etc.,etc., I sometimes wonder who is benefiting from issuing all these drugs. If they genuinely make you feel better then I suppose they are worth it...

The fact that your mood can be stabilised, and you can actually function in life. Yes it does outweigh the negatives, now I just need to find the proper anti-depressant to stop suicidal thoughts, and I'll be dandy.

Also I think there is a slight thing of "well I'm getting my medication, so it must be helping" element to it, and can boost you a bit. Though I think that's only temporary.
  • Options
    madlh100madlh100 Posts: 9,893
    Forum Member
    jules1000 wrote: »

Yes, but you have to be willing to take a risk.

You can be put on one that doesn't agree with you as has been stated in this thread.

I was on Seroxat and like another poster said, it made them feel suicidal.

It takes time, but in the end it is worth it. You don't know how you are going to react to the prescribed drug.

It won't happen for everyone, but I know, that with me, it was mental torture being on Seroxat.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,168
    Forum Member
    hmmm think im going to have to go back to the doctors...id love to feel the effects some of you are getting! id love to have a dull steady mood all the time!

im on 60mg prozac...it has no effect whatsoever, dont feel a bit different...i may as well be popping tic tacs. been on them for about 5 months now so ive given them plenty of time to kick in...
  • Options
    PrincessEssexPrincessEssex Posts: 1,414
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have just been taken off 40mgs of Citalopram as it was doing jack crap for me. They started me on 10mgs and every month they increased it and every month I told them I was feeling poo. I kept saying to them it becomes very heightened around the time of the month. They have now changed me to 100mgs of Sertraline.
    However, my appt always falls on the week before my period and they have now eventually referred me to the local mental health team but have you guys ever heard of PMDD?? I am adamant this is what I suffer from. But will they listen to me seriously as I feel the doctors have not been taking me as anything more than a drama queen.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,187
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe you could offer me some advice?

I've been struggling with depression and anxiety for over a year now. I went to my GP just before xmas last year and he was great, he is very responsible and doesn't give out pills like sweets.

He got me on the list for CBT which luckily I was able to start within a few weeks. I spent 3 months seeing a therapist once a week.

Straight away I knew it wasn't really going to solve anything. She was very young (not her fault!) and I didn't 'bond' with her at all. I tried very hard to do everything she asked me to do. It did work for specific circumstances, if there was a particular situation that would make my anxiety worse then the CBT was useful, but my problem is that generally there is no reason for my anxiety, so there would be nothing to work with.

My life is great. I have a fantastic husband, kids all doing well at school and finances are ok. There is nothing in my life that I should be depressed or worried about. I did have a very crappy childhood, but I don't think that's what the problem is.

I just wake up in the morning with a great big dark cloud hanging over me. Every decision is a huge effort, simple things like what to make the family for dinner. I lay in bed each morning dreading having to get on with my day. And again, there is NO REASON for me to feel like this.

What I want is to be able to appreciate what I have, not feel so low all the time. I really do think it must be down to a chemical imbalance or something, because there isn't anything in my life to make me feel like this.

Would medication help me? After reading this thread I'm not so sure, what with the side effects and whatever. But I know I need to do something. I want to face things head on, but there's nothing to actually face! It's so frustrating because I don't feel in control of my emotions and can't seem to do anything to help myself.
  • Options
    toribaynestoribaynes Posts: 2,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    have been taking sertraline for just over 2 weeks and feel loads better was going through hell every month with the worse kind of pmt ever and its really helped i dont feel like commiting murder now
  • Options
    Alvar HansoAlvar Hanso Posts: 2,542
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    has anyone ever been on wellbrutin

I hear it does not come with the sexual side effects

I just started back on citalapram, and am not sure I made the right decision but need to keep, my job as I have rent and bills to pay, and work have been really understanding

still wish i had the money to quit my job, come off this crap and just get therapy instead
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,335
    Forum Member
    I do wonder how good ADs are

They seem to have more side effects than good effects.

They seem to work for a while then you get used to them.

I do wonder if we are all being guinea pigs as they don't seem to really know the answers and try us on whatever the cheapest deal is this week. Same goes for any drugs.

I being cynical as I nearly lost my mum to her being given harmful drugs and my mother in law was being OD'd on a drug too, and was given something that wasn't meant for her when she came out of hospital. Had she taken it, she would have died.

You assume they know what they are doing and would take them in good faith.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,335
    Forum Member
    poppycat wrote: »

I've been struggling with depression and anxiety for over a year now. I went to my GP just before xmas last year and he was great, he is very responsible and doesn't give out pills like sweets.

He got me on the list for CBT which luckily I was able to start within a few weeks. I spent 3 months seeing a therapist once a week.

Straight away I knew it wasn't really going to solve anything. She was very young (not her fault!) and I didn't 'bond' with her at all. I tried very hard to do everything she asked me to do. It did work for specific circumstances, if there was a particular situation that would make my anxiety worse then the CBT was useful, but my problem is that generally there is no reason for my anxiety, so there would be nothing to work with.

My life is great. I have a fantastic husband, kids all doing well at school and finances are ok. There is nothing in my life that I should be depressed or worried about. I did have a very crappy childhood, but I don't think that's what the problem is.

I just wake up in the morning with a great big dark cloud hanging over me. Every decision is a huge effort, simple things like what to make the family for dinner. I lay in bed each morning dreading having to get on with my day. And again, there is NO REASON for me to feel like this.

What I want is to be able to appreciate what I have, not feel so low all the time. I really do think it must be down to a chemical imbalance or something, because there isn't anything in my life to make me feel like this.

Would medication help me? After reading this thread I'm not so sure, what with the side effects and whatever. But I know I need to do something. I want to face things head on, but there's nothing to actually face! It's so frustrating because I don't feel in control of my emotions and can't seem to do anything to help myself.

You are lucky to have a doctor who is doing something proactive and have a great family.

It is great you have a good life now but something must still be niggling. Bad childhoods can have a long lasting effect and bite you when you least expect it.

I tried CBT and ADs. I find CBT is a common sense therapy and I find I can say all those things to myself but if an issue is real to you, then discussing the issue and tackling it is more effective imo.

Can I ask, do you have issues at certain times of the month or is it every day?

Next time you feel this way, write it down and work out the trigger. I bet you it stems back to a childhood incident.
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    has anyone ever been on wellbrutin

I hear it does not come with the sexual side effects

I just started back on citalapram, and am not sure I made the right decision but need to keep, my job as I have rent and bills to pay, and work have been really understanding

still wish i had the money to quit my job, come off this crap and just get therapy instead

Shame your company doesn't offer any employee support scheme - I am entitled to up to six free hours worth of confidential counselling. Its all provided by an independent company - so your work never knows and it doesn't go on your HR record.

I have used citalopram - got the odd bout of diarrhoea and it certaintly does dampen the ardour.
  • Options
    madlh100madlh100 Posts: 9,893
    Forum Member
    poppycat wrote: »

Medication is good and I know I wouldn't be able to cope with it.

I'd go for it. Just be prepared that you could get worse before you get better. :)
  • Options
    duffsdadduffsdad Posts: 11,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For me

Prozac, affected my asthma but worked till it became really uncomfortable.
    Citalopram, lasted five days. Felt manic and agitated. Didn't sleep for almost 72 hours, couldn't sit still. Awful experience.
    Amytryptiline, finally slept but felt like I had a hangover all the time. Lasted three months.
    Mitzrapine, put on two stone in seven weeks. It was a nightmare.
    Sertraline, have been on this for a year. At first sick as a dog but now back down to a maintenance dose of 50mg and it's working well. I also have valium to help me sleep the nights I get anxious (I have OCD)

It has been a bit hit and miss for me but I'm glad I persevered though I didn't feel like it at the time. I'm a different person I was five years ago.