Options

Do you let Pets dominate your home?

LiparusLiparus Posts: 4,743
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I know some people who sit on the floor while their dogs/cats sit on the settee/chairs.

I also know people who if the dog comes upstairs and gets in bed they get out and sleep either on the floor or on the settee.

Is this mad? I like animals and have pets in the house, but I would never let them take priority.

Comments

• Options
    trolleydollytrolleydolly Posts: 203
    Forum Member
    yes some people are just plain weird
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,566
    Forum Member
    I let my Fawn have the run of the house, but I don't let any of my cats on the furniture.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't do pets. Animals in the home? Why would you??? :confused:

Saying that....I'll proberbly give in soon to the kids plees for a hamster. And my mothers, apparently ''all kids should have pets''. :rolleyes: Thanks mum!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    My dog follows me round the house..he's like a big black sheep..:D,,Plus i make him a bed up next to my bed, and he sleeps on it ,on the floor..Bless!! I love him to bits :) aww
  • Options
    2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    Our dog knows her place, she never goes upstairs or on our sofa, she has her own dog bed, that is where she sleeps.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 405
    Forum Member
    No, dog sleeps in his bed and is not allowed upstairs ever. Cat has run of the house during the day but is in the kitchen at night. I love them but they are animals and not humans and are treated accordingly.
  • Options
    MagwashMagwash Posts: 913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My dogs and cats are allowed wherever they like, my OH and I love them and want them to be comfortable.

We now have separate rooms because the dogs sleep in the main bed with my OH and there is no room for me, so I sleep in the second bedroom often with the cats.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mine can go wherever they want. the only place out of bounds is on the dining table when we are eating.
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No way. My budgie occasionally tries to play the dominance game but I soon put him in his place. His cage is unlocked all day but there are certain places I won't let him be - like on my laptop or the dining room table during a meal.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 190
    Forum Member
    Magwash wrote: »
    My dogs and cats are allowed wherever they like, my OH and I love them and want them to be comfortable.

We now have separate rooms because the dogs sleep in the main bed with my OH and there is no room for me, so I sleep in the second bedroom often with the cats.
    Really??!! :confused::eek:
  • Options
    BirthdayGirlBirthdayGirl Posts: 64,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My cat actually rules the house at home.

I just happen to live there too :D
  • Options
    lordOfTimelordOfTime Posts: 22,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Our Dogs love our couches and chairs. They think they belong to them. They're quite welcome to them but they know we have priority when we want somewhere to sit down. :D
  • Options
    wenchwench Posts: 8,928
    Forum Member
    We bought an extra big corner sofa just to accomodate our dogs. We have a Mastiff and a bulldog and if they want to sit with us then we dont exactly have alot of choice!!

The problem comes when they feel the need to sit ON us!
  • Options
    NatgarNatgar Posts: 2,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wench wrote: »
    We bought an extra big corner sofa just to accomodate our dogs. We have a Mastiff and a bulldog and if they want to sit with us then we dont exactly have alot of choice!!

Yours does that too:D Our very large Lab seems to think he is the size of our cats...
  • Options
    Mitten KittenMitten Kitten Posts: 1,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good lord, letting a pet take over your life? :eek: Excuse me, I have to go as my cat has tapped me on the leg and needs feeding/letting out/ playing with :D
  • Options
    fi~fi~ Posts: 5,481
    Forum Member
    my dog thinks hes in charge and its easier to let him think that lol
  • Options
    BagpipesBagpipes Posts: 5,443
    Forum Member
    I hate visiting people who let their dogs sit on the chairs. Their houses always smell and I always come away with dog hairs on my clothes.
  • Options
    JoleneJolene Posts: 1,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have cats. They own me not vice versa. I am but a mere food source and human radiator to them lol
  • Options
    yorkiegalyorkiegal Posts: 18,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Baxter sits on the sofa and sleeps on my bed. I have been known to wake up at 4am hanging off the side of the bed because he kicks me until I move. Sometimes I sit on the floor whilst he has the sofa but only because if I move him I risk waking him up and then I'll have to play fetch with him for an hour.

he is a cutie though. you can't resist that face. http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/cc405/yorkiegal73/baxter1/Photo0015.jpg
  • Options
    MagwashMagwash Posts: 913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yorkiegal wrote: »
    Baxter sits on the sofa and sleeps on my bed. I have been known to wake up at 4am hanging off the side of the bed because he kicks me until I move. Sometimes I sit on the floor whilst he has the sofa but only because if I move him I risk waking him up and then I'll have to play fetch with him for an hour.

he is a cutie though. you can't resist that face. http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/cc405/yorkiegal73/baxter1/Photo0015.jpg

Awww, I couldn't say no to him either! :D
  • Options
    wenchwench Posts: 8,928
    Forum Member
    Natgar wrote: »
    Yours does that too:D Our very large Lab seems to think he is the size of our cats...

Yup, Holly still thinks she's a puppy and has no hesitation in trying sit on our laps when she wants stroking......however at 9 stones its getting a bit much for my poor wee legs!!

Was hilarious when I had a friend round to stay, one evening all I could here was this muffled "help" coming from the living room, I raced from the kitchen to find her buried underneath our Mastiff!!!
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Sounds like my dog!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I just came in to ridicule the OP and say this sort of thing doesnt happen in real life, and there you go you've proved me wrong. You've moved out of your bed so your dog can sleep with your husband. :eek:
  • Options
    LiparusLiparus Posts: 4,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

:eek: Crazy, just crazy.

Cat's were once worshipped as Gods. They haven't forgotten this!
    wench wrote: »

What about a large dog basket? And what do you do when you have guests?
    Natgar wrote: »

The trouble is if you let them sit on your knee when they're puppies and small, they will think they can always do this.
  • Options
    NatgarNatgar Posts: 2,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chocdoc wrote: »
    I just came in to ridicule the OP and say this sort of thing doesnt happen in real life, and there you go you've proved me wrong. You've moved out of your bed so your dog can sleep with your husband. :eek:

My dog mostly sleeps on his bed but every night when the lights go off he comes into our bed for his night, night cuddle. One of our cats sleeps on my husband's head.