Doc Martin (Part 17 — Spoilers)

Comments

• ZarwenZarwen Posts: 249
    Forum Member
    A bit off topic, but if anyone (besides me) watched the "Sherlock" S3 premiere, "Isobel" and "The Doctor's Friend" were among the cast.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16
    Forum Member
    Zarwen wrote: »
    A bit off topic, but if anyone (besides me) watched the "Sherlock" S3 premiere, "Isobel" and "The Doctor's Friend" were among the cast.

And in "Sherlock" S2E3 Katharine Parkinson (Pauline) played the reporter who (unwittingly?) helped Moriarty discredit Sherlock.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 323
    Forum Member
    Zarwen wrote: »

I noticed "The Doctor's Friend" as soon as he opened his mouth to speak. It's the voice and those beady eyes that I had figured out right away. Was "Isobel" Watson's girlfriend?
    Forum Member
    NewPark wrote: »
    I always had thought that they couldn't possibly have "marital relations" and be that at odds and unaffectionate with each other in the interactions we saw. But now I've changed my mind. They are just too cozy together in that bedroom, and Louisa is talking about"our baby" and "our apartment" and they're planning to be together indeterminately, so it's equally hard to imagine, even with those pajamas, that they're not. Something doesn't add up here.

I am glad I'm not the only one who has sensed this. It IS like we're only getting part of the story and have to assume the other half. In that case, I guess with what the script, production and acting...it's working. I'm supposing if the series' were more than 8 episodes, we would get a lot more. Perhaps it is best though that we aren't getting it all...that would be just too easy!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 153
    Forum Member
    Lizzie_cUS wrote: »
    I noticed "The Doctor's Friend" as soon as he opened his mouth to speak. It's the voice and those beady eyes that I had figured out right away. Was "Isobel" Watson's girlfriend?

Amanda Abbingdon, who had the role of Isobel in Doc Martin, is John Watson's fiancée, Mary, in Sherlock Holmes. Amanda Abbingdon is married to Norman Freeman (John Watson).
  • MofromcoMofromco Posts: 1,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DMfan wrote: »
    Amanda Abbingdon, who had the role of Isobel in Doc Martin, is John Watson's fiancée, Mary, in Sherlock Holmes. Amanda Abbingdon is married to Norman Freeman (John Watson).

Isn't that MARTIN Freeman? aka Bilbo? He has a perfect face for a hobbit.
  • NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mofromco wrote: »
    Isn't that MARTIN Freeman? aka Bilbo? He has a perfect face for a hobbit.

Also the original "Jim" (?) from The Office.
  • Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also the original "Jim" (?) from The Office.

Yep! Tim-Jim. And Jim started out being very much like Tim. Love me some of that John Krasinski!
  • Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've uploaded more stuff to Potwenn Online. There is now a whole trivia section if anyone wants to explore. As I do the in-depth reviews of the episodes I will be adding to the clock, food, Rude Martin, etc. so there will be the whole recap of trivia for each episode and then pages to compile all of the different areas. Hard to describe :-) but check it out.

I have a few posts for the episode title "Out of the Woods", but nothing yet on any literary reference for the title. Anyone got an idea?
  • NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am glad I'm not the only one who has sensed this. It IS like we're only getting part of the story and have to assume the other half. In that case, I guess with what the script, production and acting...it's working. I'm supposing if the series' were more than 8 episodes, we would get a lot more. Perhaps it is best though that we aren't getting it all...that would be just too easy!

I guess what I am trying to say is that the two halves don't add up, to me.

Yes, they must be intimate, b/c otherwise, why would you stick around at all, let alone plan a future with, someone who, during the day and from what we've seen, is as difficult as DM? There has to be some times, that we're not seeing, where things go well.

But no, they can't be intimate, b/c we don't see any affection, but a lot of snarkiness, cluelessness, impenetrable-ness, etc., on DM's part, and a lot of frustration on Louisa's part. Romantic that I am, I just don't think they would be behaving as we've seen if things were going well in the bedroom.

It could be that they are only showing us the worst parts of their interactions, in order to make it credible that Louisa would be ready to call it quit in just a few weeks (just as they did in S6, I suppose). But in order to make it believable at all that Louisa would want to be with him, I think they needed to show a bit more of the affection -- and sexual tension -- between them.
  • SusieSagitariusSusieSagitarius Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CADMFAN wrote: »
    I believe MC said in an interview that Louisa was only DM's second girlfriend. So he probably was less experienced....unless Edith was the equivalent of 10 women!

Well, just like at the beginning of S6 E1, the gynae exam, Doc told the woman "I know more about it than you do." So maybe we have to take professional knowledge into account here as a supplemental educational resource. ;-):)
    Forum Member
    I guess what I am trying to say is that the two halves don't add up, to me.

Yes, they must be intimate, b/c otherwise, why would you stick around at all, let alone plan a future with, someone who, during the day and from what we've seen, is as difficult as DM? There has to be some times, that we're not seeing, where things go well.

But no, they can't be intimate, b/c we don't see any affection, but a lot of snarkiness, cluelessness, impenetrable-ness, etc., on DM's part, and a lot of frustration on Louisa's part. Romantic that I am, I just don't think they would be behaving as we've seen if things were going well in the bedroom.

It could be that they are only showing us the worst parts of their interactions, in order to make it credible that Louisa would be ready to call it quit in just a few weeks (just as they did in S6, I suppose). But in order to make it believable at all that Louisa would want to be with him, I think they needed to show a bit more of the affection -- and sexual tension -- between them.

No, I think you're right on. Things don't all add up and yes, there doesn't seem to be enough of what's shown to provide credibility. There's got to be more to the story that we're not being shown and it is a bit awkward. Are they (BP) doing it on purpose or are we the viewers reading too much into it and want more of an explanation? Just asking the question, I don't know the answer.
  • SusieSagitariusSusieSagitarius Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Portland Oregon DM news:
    I've earlier posted that I was told by OPB that DM S6 would start Feb 1 here. In checking their website, I've found they are running through S5 by doubling up episodes through Feb. I asked again when S6 would start and have now been told the first week of March.
    Forum Member
    Portland Oregon DM news:
    I've earlier posted that I was told by OPB that DM S6 would start Feb 1 here. In checking their website, I've found they are running through S5 by doubling up episodes through Feb. I asked again when S6 would start and have now been told the first week of March.

I bet that's what will happen here in the middle of the country too. This upcoming weekend will be the end of the reruns of S4, and S5 can easily take up the whole month of February. Plus by then, the current season of Downton Abbey should be over and done with too. PBS will need something new on their plate. My guess is they'll double up DM with the new season of Call The Midwife.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CADMFAN wrote: »
    I believe MC said in an interview that Louisa was only DM's second girlfriend. So he probably was less experienced....unless Edith was the equivalent of 10 women!

In some things, it's not the absolute quantity that does the teaching, but the quality of instruction received. Martin and Edith were probably together for at least 4 years or longer since they were together in med school and residency (being a registrar in Britain). And Edith is a severe and demanding mistress. I'm sure that Martin learned and did whatever he was told. Hence.........
    Forum Member
    Mofromco wrote: »
    In some things, it's not the absolute quantity that does the teaching, but the quality of instruction received. Martin and Edith were probably together for at least 4 years or longer since they were together in med school and residency (being a registrar in Britain). And Edith is a severe and demanding mistress. I'm sure that Martin learned and did whatever he was told. Hence.........

And that's probably why he chose Louisa over Edith! Honestly though, I think DM wants something more in life than just hot sex. L is someone who can give him what (deep down inside) he really wants. That is a wife and a family. Something he didn't have growing up. At least that's what I tend to personally believe.

That being said, I think you and I can agree what we'd really LIKE to see :blush:
    Forum Member
    Shop Girl wrote: »
    I've uploaded more stuff to Potwenn Online. There is now a whole trivia section if anyone wants to explore. As I do the in-depth reviews of the episodes I will be adding to the clock, food, Rude Martin, etc. so there will be the whole recap of trivia for each episode and then pages to compile all of the different areas. Hard to describe :-) but check it out.

I have a few posts for the episode title "Out of the Woods", but nothing yet on any literary reference for the title. Anyone got an idea?

Really good website Shop Girl.

Usually "out of the woods" is associated with fairy tales in which children wander into to the woods, get into some sort of trouble and then are able to escape a witch, animal (big bad wolf) or a gruesome creature and be safely reunited with their families. The encounter with the bad creature is meant to teach them not to do bad things, such as wandering into the woods.

In the Doc Martin episode, I thought Martin was able to encounter some of his fears -- dirt, mud, blood from Mark's injury -- and emerge unharmed. Louisa was particularly kind to him when he returned to Portwenn, saying she had been worried about him. In a way he was being reunited with someone who cared about him.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really good website Shop Girl.

Usually "out of the woods" is associated with fairy tales in which children wander into to the woods, get into some sort of trouble and then are able to escape a witch, animal (big bad wolf) or a gruesome creature and be safely reunited with their families. The encounter with the bad creature is meant to teach them not to do bad things, such as wandering into the woods.

In the Doc Martin episode, I thought Martin was able to encounter some of his fears -- dirt, mud, blood from Mark's injury -- and emerge unharmed. Louisa was particularly kind to him when he returned to Portwenn, saying she had been worried about him. In a way he was being reunited with someone who cared about him.

When I look at the statement "Out of the Woods" it takes me back to my time practicing medicine. One would say, "That patient isn't out of the woods just yet." It would mean that the end result was not predictable just then. But if you said, "I think that little Johnny Jones is out of the woods." It meant the outcome was likely to be good. In the episode I felt that that Louisa's verbalizing her concern for Martin meant that their relationship was coming "out of the woods" to Martin and he actually knew that she cared for him.

I loved that scene at the surgery door when Louisa said that. It looked like Martin was ready to stand there and suck up more affection until Stewart butted in and ruined the moment. So very good.
  • ZarwenZarwen Posts: 249
    Forum Member
    I bet that's what will happen here in the middle of the country too. This upcoming weekend will be the end of the reruns of S4, and S5 can easily take up the whole month of February. Plus by then, the current season of Downton Abbey should be over and done with too. PBS will need something new on their plate. My guess is they'll double up DM with the new season of Call The Midwife.

According to thefutoncritic.com, "Call the Midwife" premiers nationally on March 30, back-to-back with "Mr. Selfridge."
  • marchrandmarchrand Posts: 879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you consider Louisa a high-maintenance type of woman? I do, but I leave out the money or material side of it, because that's not her. I am talking about over reactive, highly emotional, needs reassurence, and exceptionally needy, with a paramount need to be happy and loved.
    Forum Member
    marchrand wrote: »
    Do you consider Louisa a high-maintenance type of woman? I do, but I leave out the money or material side of it, because that's not her. I am talking about over reactive, highly emotional, needs reassurence, and exceptionally needy, with a paramount need to be happy and loved.

No, I don't. I think to some degree she has some emotional needs that are not being met which make her seem "needy", but she can hold her own pretty well. I love the strong Louisa when that side of her comes out which seems to be more often than not. She shows her weakest side when DM is not at his strongest.
    Forum Member
    Louisa is high maintenance only in her reaction to Martin. We has only a glimpse of her interaction with Danny Steel, and she behaved normally. Martin is a terribly frustrating man who causes many to have a negative reaction to him. Isn't that the point of the story?
    Forum Member
    Martin is a terribly frustrating man who causes many to have a negative reaction to him. Isn't that the point of the story?

Indeed. It would be an awfully boring show without the drama. And it's hard to remember that the show isn't all about the two of THEM. There is a whole cast of characters intertwined with DM and with each other. DM is the center of the show. It's about him and the interactions with the people and the situations that he's been thrown into.

We're just lucky that one of those interactions of interest is his relationships with Louisa and JH ;-)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Indeed. It would be an awfully boring show without the drama. And it's hard to remember that the show isn't all about the two of THEM. There is a whole cast of characters intertwined with DM and with each other. DM is the center of the show. It's about him and the interactions with the people and the situations that he's been thrown into.

We're just lucky that one of those interactions of interest is his relationships with Louisa and JH ;-)

Pride and Prejudice... Elizabeth Bennet is smart, choosy, and seems to know what she wants, or maybe not. Then there is that man, Mr. Darcy, who glowers, grunts, is cold... and has money. Now who does that remind you of? Throw in Bert, Al, Morwenna and there you are, sort of. :)
  • dcdmfandcdmfan Posts: 1,540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Series 6 starts on WETA on February 1 @ 8:00pm. They are doing fundraising around it. They usually show 2 episodes each time.

We are having a meetup on February 2 @ 6:00pm in Falls Church, Virginia. If you are from nearby the Washington, DC area please consider joining us! PM me if you have any questions. We get new members all the time.

http://www.meetup.com/The-Washington-Area-Doc-Martin-Fans-Meetup-Group/
This discussion has been closed.