Options

Doc Martin (Part 17 — Spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    mmDerdekeammDerdekea Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marchrand wrote: »
    Do you consider Louisa a high-maintenance type of woman? I do, but I leave out the money or material side of it, because that's not her. I am talking about over reactive, highly emotional, needs reassurence, and exceptionally needy, with a paramount need to be happy and loved.

Absolutely. I think the show has illustrated that over and over again. And, not just with DM, but mostly with him. She has been problematic with Danny, with Bert, with Dennis Dodd, as well.
  • Options
    SusieSagitariusSusieSagitarius Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Martin was interviewed while filming Nativity 3. Here's the link to the radio interview (quite a good one I think): http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01pbh16

There is a tease of him about 5 min. in. But the real deal happens just after the beginning of hour 2 of the program. Enjoy!
  • Options
    NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Martin was interviewed while filming Nativity 3. Here's the link to the radio interview (quite a good one I think): http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01pbh16

There is a tease of him about 5 min. in. But the real deal happens just after the beginning of hour 2 of the program. Enjoy!

Did anyone else feel that he sounded slightly different from usual? Not better or worse, just different? I can't put my finger on it -- maybe he was speaking more rapidly than usual -- it just sounded like a "normal" person speaking conversationally, rather than an actor. To me, anyway.
  • Options
    marchrandmarchrand Posts: 879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NewPark wrote: »
    Did anyone else feel that he sounded slightly different from usual? Not better or worse, just different? I can't put my finger on it -- maybe he was speaking more rapidly than usual -- it just sounded like a "normal" person speaking conversationally, rather than an actor. To me, anyway.

He usually speaks in measured tones - perhaps he had a few cups of strong coffee beforehand, or maybe, the pace of dialogue is fast in filming Nativity 3 and he picked up on that. I looked up the film on Wikipedia and apparently it is done every few years. The premise of the film is a teacher in a Catholic school who is a frustrated actor is in competition every year with a Protestant school to put on the best nativity play. I am guessing they use different actors for each nativity film they do. Is this geared toward a younger audience? For his part, MC described himself as dressed all in white including shoes which sounds like a fantasy rendition.
  • Options
    MofromcoMofromco Posts: 1,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I really liked this interview. To me, it seemed that MC was relaxed and in a good mood. He was very forthcoming with information about the movie and the work. He was being a normal guy which is what we love about him. Sometimes, on radio or television MC is a bit reticent....especially if the interviewer is a prat. He doesn't like to talk about himself much and with DM is always under a gag order. His voice was particularly lovely. Made me want to fly over there and take him out for coffee.
  • Options
    SusieSagitariusSusieSagitarius Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He usually speaks in measured tones - perhaps he had a few cups of strong coffee beforehand, or maybe, the pace of dialogue is fast in filming Nativity 3 and he picked up on that. I looked up the film on Wikipedia and apparently it is done every few years. The premise of the film is a teacher in a Catholic school who is a frustrated actor is in competition every year with a Protestant school to put on the best nativity play. I am guessing they use different actors for each nativity film they do. Is this geared toward a younger audience? For his part, MC described himself as dressed all in white including shoes which sounds like a fantasy rendition.

Yes, it is geared toward a younger audience, though after watching N2 on YT, I thoroughly enjoyed it as an adult, too. Lots of laughs and unique. Mostly improvised, not scripted, so there is a certain freshness to it, and especially the kids. I would call it a family movie.

Nativity! in 2009 was about a competition to put on the best nativity play. It starred Martin Freeman (Watson in the Benedict Cumberbatch Sherlock) as the teacher with Marc Wootton as Mr. Poppy, classroom assistant.

Nativity 2: Danger in the Manger! in 2012 was about a competition held in Wales for the best Christmas song. It starred David Tennant (Dr. Who) as the new substitute teacher with Marc Wootton as Mr. Poppy, classroom assistant. Ian McNeice (Burt Large) had a role in this one.

Nativity 3: Who Stole My Donkey? being filmed now for 2014 Christmas showing using flash mobbing as a device. It includes a school inspector (played by Martin Clunes) who gets mistaken for the teacher and gets kicked in the head by the donkey and thus has amnesia. Apparently, Mr. Poppy (Marc Wootton) and the kids try to help him get his memory back. There is a Christmas all white and silver wedding involved I've seen pictures of and that he refers to about his tux in the radio interview. Otherwise he dresses in some really colorful teenage looking clothes as that's what he sees in the mall and having amnesia, knows no better. This is what I've gathered from reading, listening and seeing pictures of filming. Final product still to come.

Debbie Isitt, writer and director, has done an interesting thing making a film with a broad outline, then having kids and actors do it through improvisation.

Oh, and I notice Pam Ferris (Rosemary and Thyme) was in N1 and N2 as head teacher (principal in US terms). So perhaps some familiar faces but new principal actors.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 323
    Forum Member
    Mofromco wrote: »
    Made me want to fly over there and take him out for coffee.

Only coffee???? :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lizzie_cUS wrote: »
    Only coffee???? :D

Abnormally polite for me, eh? I'm sure you can imagine what I'd really like to do.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Abnormally polite for me, eh? I'm sure you can imagine what I'd really like to do.

Me too :blush:

I'd actually love to sit down for a chat and a pint with MC!
  • Options
    Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, and I notice Pam Ferris (Rosemary and Thyme) was in N1 and N2 as head teacher (principal in US terms). So perhaps some familiar faces but new principal actors.

She was also in Doc Martin and the Legend of the Cloutie. She was the new age woman who gave Martin the cloutie.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Made me want to fly over there and take him out for coffee.

. . .and after coffee, um hmm, what are you planning for the rest of the evening?;-);-);-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lizzie_cUS wrote: »
    Me too :blush:

I'd actually love to sit down for a chat and a pint with MC!

You know what I'd like to do with Martin besides the obvious physical manifestations of affection and passion? I'd like to sit down, in a comfy place and watch a few hours of telly or some rented movies that we picked. I love doing that with a friend and usually end up laughing on the floor. A couple of glasses of wine and Philippa could come. Seems like it would be fun to do with him. When they did that on MBB it always seemed so truthful..not so far from real life. I guess I'm pretty boring if that's my fantasy....but I really am pretty dull and boring and awful......
  • Options
    Terry WigonTerry Wigon Posts: 6,831
    Forum Member
    Martin Clunes plays a much nicer character in 'William and Mary' which is on ITV3 (UK) now. I'd never seen it before but the undertaker character is much more endearing and empathetic than the increasingly grumpy and emotionally constipated Martin Ellingham. I'm amazed it wasn't more popular than Doc Martin, TBH.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Martin Clunes plays a much nicer character in 'William and Mary' which is on ITV3 (UK) now. I'd never seen it before but the undertaker character is much more endearing and empathetic than the increasingly grumpy and emotionally constipated Martin Ellingham. I'm amazed it wasn't more popular than Doc Martin, TBH.

Great, Terry. I was wondering what those in the UK would think now that they put W&M on ITV3. It's 10 years old but it's an incredibly well done series but it seems to have gotten little notice or accolades. It is Martin Clunes in his sexiest, cuddliest splendor. All the series were really good and have a sense of artistry about them, using the choral music, rock and roll, work and daily life and themes of birth and death. It's great.
  • Options
    Terry WigonTerry Wigon Posts: 6,831
    Forum Member
    Great, Terry. I was wondering what those in the UK would think now that they put W&M on ITV3. It's 10 years old but it's an incredibly well done series but it seems to have gotten little notice or accolades. It is Martin Clunes in his sexiest, cuddliest splendor. All the series were really good and have a sense of artistry about them, using the choral music, rock and roll, work and daily life and themes of birth and death. It's great.

It's really good. Nice to see Martin Clunes with a smile on his face again.:D It makes such a difference and William's a lovely, warm character.

I see Doc Martin is on ITV3 again tomorrow though at 9pm.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I receive a weekly e-mail from my library on what new books, dvds, music, etc. they added to their collection. In this week's e-mail they purchased a book: Downtrodden Abbey: The Interminable Saga of an Insufferable Family by Gillian Fetlocks. It is a spoof on the series, of course. You can read more about it on Amazon and it lets you see the cover of the book and read just a few pages of the book online. It sounds really funny. Perhaps, Sam North, who wrote the recent two books on the Doc Martin series should turn his attention to writing a spoof on the series. I don't know how Martin & Philippa would react to it, if approval has to be first given. Also, I don't recall that any of the fan fiction writers have attempted writing a spoof, although there have been many funny incidents but not an entire spoof.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    KET, Kentucky Educational Tv, and ThinkTV, from Dayton, Ohio will start DM Series 6 on Thursday Feb. 6. They have been playing Series 5 so they will be in synch.

Rob
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.drg.tv/PressRatings.aspx?ProgramDetail=12307

Viewership in the UK this Sep. 2013. Huge!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    robspace54 wrote: »

Wow! They could never have imagined this, starting out in 2004.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's really good. Nice to see Martin Clunes with a smile on his face again.:D It makes such a difference and William's a lovely, warm character.

I see Doc Martin is on ITV3 again tomorrow though at 9pm.

My mind is playing with pairing up Mary and Doc Martin; Louisa and William Shawcross.

I can't imagine that Mary would put up with DM for more than about 2 seconds, but I wonder what Louisa would make of William?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    robspace54 wrote: »

Do I see correctly? Both Martin Clunes and Caroline Catz are nominated for Drama - National Television Awards 2014. Does anyone know if Eileen Atkins and/or Claire Bloom are up for supporting roles? I would also tuck in another category for the babies used in S6.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 153
    Forum Member
    A fan fiction writer wrote a spoof of fan fiction writers that was humorous. In the first episode of Series 3 if "Sherlock Holmes" part of the storyline involved fan fiction writers

I thin the William Shawcross Louisa Glasson would work well because the writers if Doc Martin have made Louisa a chameleon. She can behave in any way the writers need

The pairing between Doc Martin and Mary would be great as Mary embraces new age medicine and the Doc does not. However Julie Graham and Martin Clunes have much more sexual magnetism, so those scenes would be great
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Do you consider Louisa a high-maintenance type of woman? I do, but I leave out the money or material side of it, because that's not her. I am talking about over reactive, highly emotional, needs reassurence, and exceptionally needy, with a paramount need to be happy and loved.

I'm just asking a question, but is Louisa being portrayed that way because Martin is so romantically inept?

I guess I personally don't see her as high-maintenance, although the way her character is portrayed some people may think that way. I know a lot of men and women who are high-maintenance and by my definition, Louisa is far from it!
  • Options
    dcdmfandcdmfan Posts: 1,540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have watched some of the earlier series recently. A lot is talked about how the Doc has become more gruff through the years. I have been struck by the huge change in Louisa. She has become edgier as well. It started with series 4.

I wonder what the show would have been like if Louisa's character had stayed more like she was in the earlier seasons, especially series 2 & 3. Back then she got frustrated with him, and tried to change him. She wasn't perfect, but she there was just more to her.

Obviously we will never know what it would have been like. Do you think her character is two dimensional in a way? Could she have played differently and still have been true to the character?

I feel that she was a bit more multi-dimensional in series 6 and the writing made her that way. She asks him to talk to the psychiatrist, she asks him to go away over the weekend, she was luscious in the honeymoon cottage. There were moments. She tried to make things better without expecting Martin to start the process. But those moments were greatly outweighed by a bitterness, unhappiness and frustration with her situation with Martin.

I am not talking about making her a total pushover. If you think about how she talked to him in series 2, she was fussy but not so bitter. I feel like there was more depth to her character then.

I think that if they made Louisa more thoughtful and deeper it may be an even better show than it has been. Her character shows almost no understanding of how he is. In previous series she knew how he was. The scene at the sports day was an opportunity to show the inner depths of her frustration with him. I think it was more superficial than it could have been. She never even says "I told you that you would have to make a speech" (we know he had forgotten about it). She still could have been unreasonable to expect him to make a speech. She still could have gotten really upset with him and frustrated by her situation with him, but it would have made the character deeper, less superficial, and more sympathetic to the audience. It was all just anger.

It is more interesting to see a reasonable person get to the end of their rope than a character who starts out nearly there already. I don't know if it is the acting or the writing. I really do think that she could keep all the flaws and even edginess of the character and allow her to have unreasonable expectations at times. She could do what the saying says that the definition of insanity is doing the same things over and over and expecting different results. That her character flaw is she can't help herself but to do that. But give her a moment or two of insight that maybe this tactic isn't working. A gradual unraveling would be more interesting than starting that way.
This discussion has been closed.