Options

Fancy buying the home of a serial killer?

2»

Comments

• Options
    What name??What name?? Posts: 26,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course. Especially if there's a huge discount because it looks nice.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bryemycaz wrote: »
    Number 23 Cromwell Terrace was demolished along with number 25. The act of demolishing properties where notorius murders have taken place is actually a recent thing.

I think that was also demolished because the house was excavated quite extensively and it was owned by the killerrs. Who was going to repair it?
  • Options
    Cornish_PiskieCornish_Piskie Posts: 7,489
    Forum Member
    It would not bother me to know that a previous owner of my house committed dreadful crimes in the rooms I now live in. The walls are simply bricks and mortar. They didn't kill anybody, the person that once lived there did. But now he is gone and I can redecorate and make that place a happy house.

What would annoy me would be the gawkers who come to look through the windows, or the deranged individuals who would look upon the property as some sort of "shrine."

It is one of the more perverse aspects of human nature that some people like to attach all sorts of bizarre personal meaning to places where bad deeds took place, as if they feel some sort of connection to it all. Why would they do that..?

It's not beyond the bounds of possibility that some awful crime may have been committed on the ground where my house now stands. A hundred years ago, perhaps....? Two hundred....? three....? It doesn't make the place "evil" and because there is no record or living knowledge of whatever may (or may not as the case may be) have taken place there, all that is seen now is a little semi detached property on a gentle hill that leads down to the sea.

What's not to like about that..?
  • Options
    Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member
    Can't see what the problem is. It's just a house.
  • Options
    AnnieBakerAnnieBaker Posts: 4,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sometimes spirits remain in such places. Have you ever entered a building and felt it was a happy place, or perhaps had a feeling of foreboding?

I am not sure I would even like to go into that house, let alone live there.
  • Options
    BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    psionic wrote: »
    That's a good price.

Its a brilliant price for Muswell Hill!
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ditto 10 Rillington Place.
    Which wasn't demolished until 25 years later with the original street being used in the film though it had been renamed to Rushton Close.

Had that house still existed it would fetch a small fortune. It was in Notting Hill.
  • Options
    bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It would not bother me to know that a previous owner of my house committed dreadful crimes in the rooms I now live in. The walls are simply bricks and mortar. They didn't kill anybody, the person that once lived there did. But now he is gone and I can redecorate and make that place a happy house.

What would annoy me would be the gawkers who come to look through the windows, or the deranged individuals who would look upon the property as some sort of "shrine."

It is one of the more perverse aspects of human nature that some people like to attach all sorts of bizarre personal meaning to places where bad deeds took place, as if they feel some sort of connection to it all. Why would they do that..?

It's not beyond the bounds of possibility that some awful crime may have been committed on the ground where my house now stands. A hundred years ago, perhaps....? Two hundred....? three....? It doesn't make the place "evil" and because there is no record or living knowledge of whatever may (or may not as the case may be) have taken place there, all that is seen now is a little semi detached property on a gentle hill that leads down to the sea.

What's not to like about that..?

I agree look at all these former Workhouses that have been converted into luxury appartments. We know that life in a Workhouse was tough but no doubt other horrors took place in those buildings. However it's not put people off buying flats in them.
  • Options
    Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,992
    Forum Member
    AnnieBaker wrote: »
    Sometimes spirits remain in such places. Have you ever entered a building and felt it was a happy place, or perhaps had a feeling of foreboding?

I am not sure I would even like to go into that house, let alone live there.

I suppose that all depends on if you believe in spirits.
  • Options
    ElyanElyan Posts: 8,781
    Forum Member
    No I wouldn't fancy it. All those men garrotted, dismembered. Heads boiled on his cooker etc.

Although he did murder the majority of his victims at his address in Melrose Avenue, Cricklewood. I think he killed three or four at Cranley Gardens, and possibly another ten or twelve at Melrose Avenue.
  • Options
    tellywatcher73tellywatcher73 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not quite serial killer but the person who used to live in my flat hung himself in what is now my bedroom cupboard. It wasn't mentioned when I was offered the flat but I knew anyway as I previously lived across the road. It didn't really bother me though. I felt sorry for the guy obviously but someone was going to have to move in so it might as well have been me.
  • Options
    Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    Elyan wrote: »
    No I wouldn't fancy it. All those men garrotted, dismembered. Heads boiled on his cooker etc.

Although he did murder the majority of his victims at his address in Melrose Avenue, Cricklewood. I think he killed three or four at Cranley Gardens, and possibly another ten or twelve at Melrose Avenue.

Yeah, the majority where at Melrose Avenue. My mate sold the flat after his arrest etc. IIRC, it was bought by a developer, refurbed and then put back on market, think it took an absolute age to sell as the address was very well known at the time.

Very nice bit of Muswell Hill, always liked Cranley Gardens, and not a bad price at all.
  • Options
    Bio MaxBio Max Posts: 2,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We looked round a house in Belper a couple of years back. It was a bargain, the cheapest detached we could find and so it was in our budget - which made me wonder why.

Anyway right at the end the estate agent asked if we knew the history of it...we didn't.

Turns out a guy was murdered by his own step son in the lounge - then dragged through to the dining room, chopped up, stuffed into a suitcase and then disposed off in a river the next day.

This was quite a few years ago now. There was a hole in the fence still where the suitcase was hidden over night.

Hey maybe some wouldn't be bothered - but we made a quick exit!!
  • Options
    Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    As has already been mentioned, it's not the actual house it's the idiots it would attract. There's a house near me in Swansea where a girl was murdered, and for years it was constantly vandalised by idiots, even though the new owners had nothing to do with the murder. I think it's taken 15-20 years for it to be forgotten.
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As has already been mentioned, it's not the actual house it's the idiots it would attract. There's a house near me in Swansea where a girl was murdered, and for years it was constantly vandalised by idiots, even though the new owners had nothing to do with the murder. I think it's taken 15-20 years for it to be forgotten.

Yeah I wonder how many time wasters the estate agents get. Just ghouls who get a kick out of being shown around a building that is linked to a crime like that.
  • Options
    SparklySwedeSparklySwede Posts: 1,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think I'd have an issue with it if the price was a bargain - which certainly seems the case here! It's a lovely flat and has been mentioned it has been completely refurbished etc. If I had the money for a deposit I would seriously consider it because of the price.

I find it a bit odd that people would avoid a property like this because of murders which happened in the 70s/80s - I would understand if the killings were recent but that is enough time passed for me to not be bothered. I would be mildly put off by the prospect of gawkers though, that is something I couldn't tolerate as I hate people loitering outside my house at the moment, and they aren't trying to see in!
  • Options
    LyceumLyceum Posts: 3,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As a few posters have mentioned. It's the idiots it would attract that would put me off.

Serial killers attract strange 'fans' and I can just imagine the never ending stream of weirdos wanting to visit the place their 'hero' lived. In the same way people trek off to grace land (only way more morbid).

Obviously I'm not saying thousands of people would rock up daily but I bet you'd get the odd creep or two knocking and wanting to have a look inside. And the very fact that they're a 'fan' of a serial killer would freak me out.
  • Options
    OdonataOdonata Posts: 1,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As previously mentioned, the house itself would not put me off. It'd be like any other house to me.

The attention it could attract would put me right off though. I live in terraced with no front garden currently, and I hate people walking passed and staring in. I had a wee ginseng ficus in my window, had to move it because people would literally come up to the window, hands up against it so they could get a right good look at it.
    I would not be able to cope with extra attention a notorious house would bring.
  • Options
    ElyanElyan Posts: 8,781
    Forum Member
    What if Nilsen himself was to somehow escape, and head back to his old flat for one last killing spree?
  • Options
    bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What if Nilsen himself was to somehow escape, and head back to his old flat for one last killing spree?

He would have to hire the male prostitutes first to take back there.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

As in a horror movie monster or as in the reality of the pensioner who had to immobilise people with drink and drugs before attacking them even when younger?

If it's movie Neilsin - run.
    If it's real Neilson - jog
  • Options
    evie71evie71 Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not squeamish, superstitious or believe in ghosts in the slightest, so wouldn't bother me at all. It's jut a house after all and the killings were some time ago. The price tag is also
    very appealing.