Induction period for kids starting primary school reception class

Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
Forum Member
✭✭
When I was a kid starting primary school in the early 1980s, I remember going along and just starting. Full time, straight away.

The oldest of my three children is due to start school in September, so this is the first time we've experienced it as parents. But I was pretty surprised to learn of the school's "induction" period for my daughter and her class mates.

For the first week she goes in for an hour or so each day. In the second week, she goes in either a full morning or a full afternoon on three of the days. (She's off all day on the other two days). In the third week, she goes in either a full morning or a full afternoon on all five days. As of the fourth week, she's there full time.

This is set to play havoc with mine and my wife's working schedule. I work full time, my wife works three days. Our kids are in nursery on the days we are both working. So between us we'll need to take time off in those first three weeks to be around for her when she's not in school.

Besides that though, is this sort of thing really necessary? Like I said, I'm pretty sure I was just thrown straight into it and it didn't do me any harm! I'm fairly sure my daughter would cope fine with it if she was too. Is my daughter's school fairly unique in this sort of thing, or is this sort of thing the norm now?

Comments

• TWSTWS Posts: 9,307
    Forum Member
    Some of the kids starting will be just turned 4 and may not have had long days before it can be an adjustment, I believe most schools do it now, ours does.
  • idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    Yeah this is the norm. Not to mention 5 classroom assistants per class to see to the kids whilst teach is busy compiling her endless OFSTED evidence files.
  • Deb ArkleDeb Arkle Posts: 12,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think they all do it, to some extent - the school my two went to recently decided it would be better to reduce the "settling in" period to 2 weeks though. When Firstborn started there he had a similar experience to yours - I think it was 6 weeks until he went full time, they were all gradually increasing for the first half term.
  • Stormwave UKStormwave UK Posts: 5,088
    Forum Member
    I think it's pretty common practice nowadays. Easier than dealing with several traumatised toddlers, and easier for the more attached parents.

I don't see why it would have to affect your work schedule though, does she have a minder now?
  • An ThropologistAn Thropologist Posts: 39,854
    Forum Member
    This isn't as new as you might think. I did half days for a term when I started in the reception class at school and that was back in the 1970s. I think it may have depended on when your birthday was in relation to the term. I was 4 when I started at "big school" and my 5th birthday was towards the end of my first term.
  • Rachael.Rachael. Posts: 2,331
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's a bit much. The schools round her used to do it that the kids went in every day until lunch time until the October holidays then it was full day after that. They stopped that a couple of years back and now they are in for the full day from the start as far as I'm aware.

I agree with you I think it's unnecessary and don't see the harm in them being thrown straight into it. They've had 2 years at nursery before this so it won't come as too much of a shock.

I've a bloody cheeky I cried for my mum every day when I went to school for the first couple of years and I'm sure I'll be crying when my daughter starts school next year :D

Edit - Just read the OP again I live in Scotland so am not quite sure what reception class is. I'm referring to going into primary one where the child has previously had 2 years in nursery. If reception class is similar to nursery then I take back what I said although I still agree it is pretty disruptive.
  • Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't see why it would have to affect your work schedule though, does she have a minder now?

She's at day nursery when we're working at the moment. She'll have left there once she starts school.

The work schedule issue is a minor one to be fair. Obviously, having to change things around is part of having kids! (Before anyone rushes to point that out!:D) We can get round it. :)
    Rachael. wrote: »
    Edit - Just read the OP again I live in Scotland so am not quite sure what reception class is. I'm referring to going into primary one where the child has previously had 2 years in nursery. If reception class is similar to nursery then I take back what I said although I still agree it is pretty disruptive.

Edit to reply to edit. ;-)

Reception class is the first year of Primary school. She was 4 at the start of this (calendar) year, so starts in September. Don't know if that means it's the equivalent to Scotland's Primary One? I believe your academic years run January to December though? (Rather than September to August, as in England/Wales).
  • viertevierte Posts: 4,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My first son had something similar about 6 years ago when he started nursery and he didn't start going all day every day until January even though he had started in September. Thankfully I was a stay at home mum back then so was able to keep up with the crazy schedule, I don't know how working parents were able to keep up with it.

For primary school he didn't have his first day until October as they bought the children in at different stages and he missed an entire month before his group started. Totally ridiculous, I was working at this point and it was a nightmare because his daycare offered reduced prices during the summer holidays and because it was September and a new term we were having to pay more to keep him there all day.
  • viertevierte Posts: 4,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's at day nursery when we're working at the moment. She'll have left there once she starts school.

The work schedule issue is a minor one to be fair. Obviously, having to change things around is part of having kids! (Before anyone rushes to point that out!:D) We can get round it. :)

Reception class is the first year of Primary school. She was 4 at the start of this (calendar) year, so starts in September. Don't know if that means it's the equivalent to Scotland's Primary One? I believe your academic years run January to December though? (Rather than September to August, as in England/Wales).

Look for a pick up daycare near her school so you don't have to change your work routine, you just inform the daycare instead and they can do the different pick up and drop offs.
  • Rachael.Rachael. Posts: 2,331
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes that sounds about right so I totally agree with you it really seems unnecessary and if anything will cause more confusion with the different times and days. Term starts late August and ends late June.
  • PrincessTTPrincessTT Posts: 4,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When my son started school in September 2013 there was no induction period, they just all started full-time on the first day. He settled in straight away and there was no problem.

My daughter is starting reception this September and again there's no induction period. She's been full-time at the school nursery this year though so she already knows the layout, the teachers and is used to the hours so it shouldn't be a problem for her.

Thinking back to when my son started, there was only one child who properly cried on the first day and she cried every morning for the whole of their reception year so I'm not sure if an induction period even would have helped her.
  • creasecrease Posts: 498
    Forum Member
    striing wrote: »
    Flipping heck sounds like a right palava. I started school at 4 - first day, school uniform, classroom, the works. Screamed my head off for the first morning then got over it. First time I'd ever been away from my parents (no nursery back then). Induction 70s style. :D

School Uniform at 4 ? Where were you Eton? I was at primary school full time from 1970ish, but before that I'd done a term of half days (seem to remember lads being jealous cos I could get home for Supercar ) :)
  • PrincessTTPrincessTT Posts: 4,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    crease wrote: »
    School Uniform at 4 ? Where were you Eton? I was at primary school full time from 1970ish, but before that I'd done a term of half days (seem to remember lads being jealous cos I could get home for Supercar ) :)

School uniform at 4 i.e in reception, is normal isn't it? Actually most of the schools round here expect children in the school nursery (so age 3 and 4) to wear the uniform too.
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,465
    Forum Member
    PrincessTT wrote: »
    When my son started school in September 2013 there was no induction period, they just all started full-time on the first day. He settled in straight away and there was no problem.

I agree, no induction period up here either - all kids start in September full time - many of them only just turned four.
  • jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't remember mine but my brothers only went in til lunchtime for the first month and then it was full time from the start of October.

Mind you in grammar school the first years also got out 5 minutes before everyone else.
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That's my memory too. I started school in 1973, i remember doing quite a few part days, going home lunch times and not going back etc.
  • Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    School Uniform at 4 ? Where were you Eton?

School uniform for reception class (age 4-5) is the norm.
  • franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

My daughter was younger still (Independent School).
  • duckyluckyduckylucky Posts: 13,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My kids are in their 30's now and way back then they had a two week period of induction .