✭✭
    Think they may have expired.
    Past his "Sell by" date?
  • Options
    Mountain_RunnerMountain_Runner Posts: 1,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi folks, I'm hoping you will help me get out of the doghouse! :blush:

The wife and I made a batch of bolognaise last night for freezing and eating in a few days time. After she took it off the hob, my wife put it straight into a big freezer bag, tied it up and left it on the side. This was approximately 9pm.

She went to bed before me and gave me explicit instructions to put it in the freezer before I came up.

You've guessed it. I forgot. I have a memory like a sieve for this kind of stuff.

This morning at 6am she discovered my crime! She has now put it in the freezer. But the big question is will it be safe to eat without causing illness to those consuming it?

I tend to think it'll be alright but my wife is concerned that because it was warm inside a plastic bag and "sweating" all night, it will be riddled with bacteria and thus unsafe for consumption.

Could anyone with a knowledge of these matters settle the issue? If it's not safe to eat, I'm going to be making bolognaise again tonight!:cry:

For it to be riddled with bacteria the bacteria has to be there in the first place! No doubt the bolognese had been simmering at boiling point for a considerable time which would have killed any bacteria, even bacterial spores.

Secondly it was put into a freezer bag which I assume would be a new fresh one and it too would have been clean and relatively free of bacteria.

Thirdly if bacteria was present bacterial growth goes through a stationary lag phase where not much happens for the first few hours other then DNA replication and gene regulation, before entering the exponential phase where bacteria colonies expand. So by 6am and freezing not much of a chance for the bacteria to grow.
    And when reheating it allow to simmer at boiling point for at least 20 mins that will ensure what little bacteria present, is killed.

Last but not least, the salt and acidity from tomatoes in the bolognese is not very favourable for bacterial growth in the early stages.

One recommendation, I'd choose a ridged plastic bowl to freeze in, rather than a bag. A bag doesn't seem too appetising.
  • Options
    Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow, this thread has moved on since I last looked at it a few days ago!

Thanks to all who responded, some interesting advice.

To update, the bolognaise was fine and all those who ate it (including my three young kids) seem absolutely fine!

Cheers all. :)
  • Options
    IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd eat it. Or give it to guests :D Take a sniff and a taste. If it was hot and in a bag, it took most of the time cooling down anyway.