What does everyone think of the Janet Jackson 'Nipplegate' thing ages ago?

intoxicationintoxication Posts: 7,059
Forum Member
I was randomly thinking of this the other day. I'm not particularly a fan of hers, I only really know two or three of her songs from years and years ago, but I do feel it was unfair how the blame for that whole thing lay on her. Publicity stunt or not, it seems a bit sad that that incident went on to be the final nail in the coffin career-wise (so far) whereas Justin went unscathed and remained as popular as he was even though he was as much involved in what happened as she was.

Also, there was a lot of rolling of the eyes at the time of how America was sooo behind the times and uptight for complaining about a nipple being shown. And back then it was justified. But I think if that incident happened now, on UK TV, there would be uproar and thousands of complaints from people jumping on the bandwagon (Like the recent X Factor thing, only worse because she would have actually shown, *gasp* a boob)

Anyway, just thought I'd offer my take on the whole thing :)

Comments

• Harry RedknappHarry Redknapp Posts: 4,422
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it had alot to do with an anti Jackson feeling at the time.. what with Jacko's court case.

Sorry to go there but I honestly do think that had Justin been black and Janet white, there would have been uproar. He would never have left unscathed in America.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it was a ridiculous PR stunt but the way the US reacted was even more ridiculous.

It was just so stupid and boring. I remember desperately wanting the media to shut the hell up about it, because good grief did they drag it on and on and on.
  • j4Rosej4Rose Posts: 5,482
    Forum Member
    They both make incredibly mediocre music, so I suppose they needed to do something drastic.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,741
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it was the first superbowl i had ever watched, i picked a good one, i remember seeing it and thinking, did i see what i thought i saw?

then the media decided to constantly show it and offer zoom ins and treat her nipple like it was lucifer himself, while the rest of the world laughed at them. it was a massive over reaction but like many incidents its usually a convenient excuse to impose more control over something, in this case tv
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Sorry to go there but I honestly do think that had Justin been black and Janet white, there would have been uproar. He would never have left unscathed in America.

That's a good point you bring up.

I agree.
  • Squealer_MahonySquealer_Mahony Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    The whole thing was ridiculous
    You couldnt even see her nipple with that ugly clamp on it anyway. You'd see more nipple on an episode of Friends and
    Janets been more naked in videos and album covers in the past.

And the song is all about shagging anyway, why weren't people offended by that huh?

I think Janet was just unpopular.

If it was Madonna then I dont think the reaction would have been as extreme.
    Forum Member
    I think it had alot to do with an anti Jackson feeling at the time.. what with Jacko's court case.

Imagine if it had been Kanye West exposing Taylor Swift
  • Neighbours_FanNeighbours_Fan Posts: 7,511
    Forum Member
    I think it was unfair that Janet got all the stick for it.
  • NotaTypoNotaTypo Posts: 4,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it was unfair that Janet got all the stick for it.
    She deliberately arranged for her leather studded dress and bra to rip, exposing her breast to one of the biggest annual tv US tv audiences. It was a tacky publicity stunt that backfired and deserved all the stick she got.
  • nats18nats18 Posts: 8,148
    Forum Member
    I was more bugged that it led to some serious over censoring in the us like an ep of the oc had lines cut cos of it.

Though these days we are just as bad the likes of ofcom have become too easy to contact and people always find the stupidest things to moan about In fact I think I want a job at ofcom it would be funny to read the things people moan about.Though I'd get sacked cos I'd end up telling someone to get a life
  • Vince JVince J Posts: 1,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it was blown out of proportion. Total nonsense, mishap or deliberate.... but I agree, there was a media backlash towards MJ due to his court case and I don't think anyone in the media was particuarly fond of any Jackson at that point.

Because of this mess, JC Chasez (ex N'SYNC) never got to perform during Superbowl! The lyrics of 'Some Girls (Dance With Women) were deem to sexual. I reckon his album would have performed much better had he had the chance. But it didn't :( it was bloody good album too, the boy can SANG!
  • mialiciousmialicious Posts: 4,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was a storm in a b cup..it was only a nipple..everyone has them
  • intoxicationintoxication Posts: 7,059
    Forum Member
    NotaTypo wrote: »
    She deliberately arranged for her leather studded dress and bra to rip, exposing her breast to one of the biggest annual tv US tv audiences. It was a tacky publicity stunt that backfired and deserved all the stick she got.

Agree with this but why did all the blame fall on her when there were two people involved?
  • Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    the last thing I wanted to see was any part of her exposed to be honest

I was annoyed that trousersnake wasn't freed :D
  • NotaTypoNotaTypo Posts: 4,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agree with this but why did all the blame fall on her when there were two people involved?
    Timberlake says he knew nothing about her plan to expose her breast.
  • KnifeEdgeKnifeEdge Posts: 3,919
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was amazed at the reactions of some Americans. Probably the same ones who have a gun in their home and are likely to blow your head off if you ring their door bell.

Nipple=devils invention!!:D
  • Daisy BennybootsDaisy Bennyboots Posts: 18,375
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At the time I though it was a storm in a teacup...but now I think the sexualisation of women in family shows is tawdry, tasteless and teaches girls that you must objectify yourself to be validated.

If it was past 9pm however, I'd have thought it fabulous. The issue was that it was a family show.
    Forum Member
    NotaTypo wrote: »
    Timberlake says he knew nothing about her plan to expose her breast.

They both looked so shocked though maybe she just meant to show her bra