Options

Sarah Millican..................is there a single panel show she wont appear on ??

Comments

• Options
    RoseAnneRoseAnne Posts: 3,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    woot_whoo wrote: »
    Hasn't the bloody irritant already been on Would I Lie To You? I guess now she's been on everything, she's starting at the beginning again.

Now she's exhausted the panel shows she's lined up to be on the next series of Who Do You Think You Are. :(
  • Options
    jcafcwjcafcw Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So on Would I Lie To You Sarah admits that her cat scratches her.

Why would the cat do that?
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    jcafcw wrote: »

Thanks for the reminder, get_iplayer downloading that now.
  • Options
    grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Cats like the smell of fish don't they?
  • Options
    TVFreakoTVFreako Posts: 214
    Forum Member
    RoseAnne wrote: »
    Now she's exhausted the panel shows she's lined up to be on the next series of Who Do You Think You Are. :(

Really? That is great news. Will get to see some of the places I know in all probability.
  • Options
    Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    grumpyscot wrote: »
    Cats like the smell of fish don't they?

Confused by this comment
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,919
    Forum Member
    Confused by this comment

I don't agree with what they say, downright vindictive and nasty, but I do understand it. What are you confused about?
  • Options
    BungitinBungitin Posts: 5,356
    Forum Member

Either the cat does not like her, or it thinks shes a scratching post by her shape.
  • Options
    C HorseC Horse Posts: 747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sarah is now not omnipresent.

Sure, she has a style of comedy, but we can do these things to death with other comedians (and even more with comediennes ... don't you know that Jo Brand hates men, eats cake and used to be a nurse?).

TV Freako makes a very valid point ... lots of ignorant people slating her and calling her a "Geordie". She'll rightly claim she's not a Geordie, but a Sanddancer ... but what do they know?

The vast majority of people that I know from here in the wider North East are happy that she's a working class lass who's done well for herself. Of course there are some who can't stand her here.

Ask anyone who's been a best man to do what she does.

Easy to poke fun ... just try doing it
  • Options
    andy1231andy1231 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    TVFreako wrote: »
    Your own personal slanted view is no basis to assume a more general view. I am from South Shields (which isn't a city btw where she is from and I went to a night class in the school she went to. Though I didn't know this till recently) and unless you actually conduct a poll or survey theirs no way of knowing whether or not most people can't stand her.

EDIT: And for the info of Southerners we aren't just Geordies. We are also Sanddancers.

My view about this awfull woman is based on speaking to other people who live up here. I have yet to meet a single person who actually likes her or thinks she is funny. I accept that you may have a different opinion and thats fine, each to their own, but I honestly don't know or have met anyone who likes her. Friends who live in other parts of the country (exiled Geordies, Mackams, etc) are embarressed when she appears on TV because it gives the rest of the country the view that we in the North East are all like that.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    and all Londoners are like Micky Flanagan.
  • Options
    MRSgotobedMRSgotobed Posts: 3,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    andy1231 wrote: »
    My view about this awfull woman is based on speaking to other people who live up here. I have yet to meet a single person who actually likes her or thinks she is funny. I accept that you may have a different opinion and thats fine, each to their own, but I honestly don't know or have met anyone who likes her. Friends who live in other parts of the country (exiled Geordies, Mackams, etc) are embarressed when she appears on TV because it gives the rest of the country the view that we in the North East are all like that.

But the North East was around long before Sarah Millican, so too late, the 'rest of the country' probably had formed it's views before her appearances.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Who in the country is watching one woman and thinking a whole area must be like her?:confused:
  • Options
    Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who in the country is watching one woman and thinking a whole area must be like her?:confused:

Probably the same people who look at VIZ comic and think it's a factual document ! :D
  • Options
    aero63aero63 Posts: 183
    Forum Member
    I'm from the north east and I like her a lot and know lots of people who do. Also, the speed with which her gigs sell out up here must mean she is very popular or has a hell of a big family.
  • Options
    Marmite BabyMarmite Baby Posts: 3,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Forgot to check this thread before catching up with ' Would I Lie to You'. Fortunately the other panellists particularly Bob Mortimer were on good form to counter balance SM & I was able to fast-forward & miss her 'cat-scratching' piece.
  • Options
    andy1231andy1231 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    aero63 wrote: »
    I'm from the north east and I like her a lot and know lots of people who do. Also, the speed with which her gigs sell out up here must mean she is very popular or has a hell of a big family.

Chubby Brown sells out most of his concerts and he is one of the most foul mouthed unfunny men you could imagine so if yuou compared Millican with him for example, just because she sells out concerts is actually a pretty good example.
    Regarding how the rest of the country views the North East I'm afraid the poster is right
    I once had a girlfriend from down south who honestly thought all men from the North East wore flat caps,drank Brown Ale and kept pidgeons and Wippets ! Now I suppose they must think we all eat pies and cakes from Greggs.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Chubby Brown sells out most of his concerts and he is one of the most foul mouthed unfunny men you could imagine so if yuou compared Millican with him for example, just because she sells out concerts is actually a pretty good example.
    Regarding how the rest of the country views the North East I'm afraid the poster is right
    I once had a girlfriend from down south who honestly thought all men from the North East wore flat caps,drank Brown Ale and kept pidgeons and Wippets ! Now I suppose they must think we all eat pies and cakes from Greggs.
    Seems like a big contradiction. Unfunny comedian keeps selling out gigs?

For the second part of your post i'd put it down to ignorance on your girlfriend's part.
  • Options
    Marmite BabyMarmite Baby Posts: 3,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Ever heard about appealing to the lowest common denominator.
  • Options
    Forum Member

You're going to meet yourself coming back at this rate.
    It's quite simple, some people find Chubby Brown and Millican amusing, you don't, see that wasn't hard was it?

You went out with someone who was a bit dappy, apparently she didn't work out when people laughed at the various 'northerner' jokes what people were laughing at, context should have been a clue.
    I take it what she lacked 'upstairs' was compensated by her looks and personality.
    You're not covering yourself in glory, if you think we're all a bit dappy down south.
    There's a reason why Sarah's Greggs, pies and cakes related material 'works' in other parts of the country, it's because we've got Greggs, pies and cakes too.
    We're not all yoghurt knitters you know :)
    'Normal' southerners count the Whippets and Brown ale thing as banter/wind-up material.
  • Options
    Forum Member

You're trying to wind us up by being obtuse aren't you?
    Humour, Subjective, The End.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Several hundred thousand of them judging by her sales.
  • Options
    RichardcoulterRichardcoulter Posts: 30,356
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RoseAnne wrote: »

I could answer that and it wouldn't take an hour to do it!

Cats are intelligent creatures :D
    C Horse wrote: »
    Sarah is now not omnipresent.

Sure, she has a style of comedy, but we can do these things to death with other comedians (and even more with comediennes ... don't you know that Jo Brand hates men, eats cake and used to be a nurse?).

TV Freako makes a very valid point ... lots of ignorant people slating her and calling her a "Geordie". She'll rightly claim she's not a Geordie, but a Sanddancer ... but what do they know?

The vast majority of people that I know from here in the wider North East are happy that she's a working class lass who's done well for herself. Of course there are some who can't stand her here.

Ask anyone who's been a best man to do what she does.

Easy to poke fun ... just try doing it

This thread is not so much about whether people like her or not, but her over exposure in the media, especially television.
    degsyhufc wrote: »

For the second part of your post i'd put it down to ignorance on your girlfriend's part.

Chubby Brown wouldn't be allowed to say the things he does on TV, so one of the few ways his fans can get to see him is to go to one of his shows, making him appear more popular than he actually is.

Alert: Millican is on BBC3 tonight at 10.30pm and again on Wednesday morning at 1.30am.
  • Options
    Department_SDepartment_S Posts: 4,924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Chubby Brown wouldn't be allowed to say the things he does on TV, so one of the few ways his fans can get to see him is to go to one of his shows, making him appear more popular than he actually is.

I don't think you've heard of a thing called a DVD sales of which for Chubby Brown are some of the highest for a stand up comedian. So to state that his popularity is somehow exaggerated because his "fans" can't see him on TV is quite frankly nonsense. Brown's not my cup of tea but he packs them in - just that like Frankie Boyle he attracts people with a different sense of humour to yours.
  • Options
    cyber_davcyber_dav Posts: 1,384
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think she's OK at times, wouldn't pay to see her though.

Doesn't worry me her being on TV a lot, she's obviously got a very good agent.
This discussion has been closed.