Options

LMAO @ best picture nominations

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,265
Forum Member
✭✭✭
[news]- Oscars 2012: Academy Awards nominations - in full
- Oscars 2012 poll: Which movie should win 'Best Picture'?[/news]http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2012/jan/24/oscars-nominations-2012-live?newsfeed=true

Complete & utter joke ..
Artsy fartsy shite that took about £2.50 at the cinema ...
The Empire movie awards or the Blockbuster awards are a truer reflection on the years films

Comments

• Options
    rybevrybev Posts: 1,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Copy & paste - easy peasy:

Best picture

War Horse, Artist, Moneyball, Descendants, Tree of Life, Midnight in Paris, The Help, Hugo, Extremely Loud

It's always the same with Oscars, they're very rarely the multi-plex crowd pleasing movies so what were you expecting?
    And the Empire awards etc are a different reflection not a truer.

You can't please all of the people all of the time.
  • Options
    James2001James2001 Posts: 73,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hardly suprising, Hugo's the sort of arty-farty nonsense that critics and others seem to lap up, despite being indescribably dull an incomprehensible to most normal people- the film bombing at the box office shows your average filmgoer doesn't lap this up the way they clearly do, people want to be entertained, not given a silent film history lesson touted as a kiddie's adventure film. Not to mention it's Scorcese anyway, and Hollywood would probably have given this film critical rave and as many nominations even if it was just 2 hours of blank screen just because of who he is.
  • Options
    JackassfanJackassfan Posts: 3,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Artist is the only deserving nomination

War Horse is the worst of the nominations,

Cant say about Hugo, The Help and Extremely Loud as i have yet to seen them
  • Options
    circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ill be rooting for nick nolte
  • Options
    _NiallDEE__NiallDEE_ Posts: 13,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What were you expecting to get nominated, the inbetweeners movie and harry potter? Whilst being entertaining films, they don't compare to the standard of films that were nominated. The Oscars are about celebrating the best made movies of the year, not the movies that made the most money, so your comment is irrelevant. Out of interest, what were you hoping/expecting to be nominated?
  • Options
    wildphantom!wildphantom! Posts: 561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree, what were you expecting to be nominated? Transformers or something?

The biggest travesty is Drive being snubbed along with Shame and Senna. But that's the Acadamy for you.
  • Options
    Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People still take notice of the Oscars?
  • Options
    MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The biggest travesty is Drive being snubbed along with Shame and Senna. But that's the Acadamy for you.

I would add We Need To Talk About Kevin to that list.

Extremely Loud has been universally and critically panned and yet it still makes the shortlist for Best Picture?! I smell something fishy....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    _NiallDEE_ wrote: »
    What were you expecting to get nominated, the inbetweeners movie and harry potter? Whilst being entertaining films, they don't compare to the standard of films that were nominated. The Oscars are about celebrating the best made movies of the year, not the movies that made the most money, so your comment is irrelevant. Out of interest, what were you hoping/expecting to be nominated?

Two of the most awful overated franchises IMO

I would have liked to have seen something that was actually decent nominated , nothing that was nominated was anywhere near the top 10 grossing films of the year & i think that should be thought of when these nominations are made

I know i am gonna get shot down in flames but i reckon in the last year Hanna, Limitless,Rise of the Planet of the Apes,Warrior & Real Steel are all far superior to all the nominations,
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree, what were you expecting to be nominated? Transformers or something?

Transformers 3 is excellent but was never gonna win any awards i am afraid ....

Drive :eek::eek::eek:
    Seriously WTF
  • Options
    wildphantom!wildphantom! Posts: 561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Seriously WTF

Please say your joking. :eek:

Each to their own, I guess...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,832
    Forum Member
    People who think stuff like Moneyball and Midnight in Paris is arty farty nonsense have clearly never seen an arty farty film in their life. I'll give you The Tree of Life, but that's it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I would have liked to have seen something that was actually decent nominated , nothing that was nominated was anywhere near the top 10 grossing films of the year & i think that should be thought of when these nominations are made

I know i am gonna get shot down in flames but i reckon in the last year Hanna, Limitless,Rise of the Planet of the Apes,Warrior & Real Steel are all far superior to all the nominations,

Hmm tbh I don't think any of those should have been anyway near nominated apart from Warrior, I think there would be more outrage had they been the nominations as they haven't been as well received by the public or critics as the films nominated. But I guess it's your opinion and everyone has different film tastes, I'm pretty happy with the nominations, not my personal top 9 films of the year but the best film of the year for me has been nominated and is likely to win which I'm happy about
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Can I please borrow the LMAO from your thread title for your suggestion that Limitless and of all things Real Steel are superior to all the nominations!!!
  • Options
    GortGort Posts: 7,467
    Forum Member
    Not all those films would have been my nominations (I'd have had some more "arty farty" films in there ;) ), but such is life. Just because a film is quantitatively popular, doesn't mean it deserves qualitative recognition by those who judge - both are different ways of measuring. I mean, going to McDonald's might well be popular, but I doubt very much that those eating it regularly would consider it the best meal that they ever had (although there's always one who will...). If we just want winners based on popularity, then just look up the box office results, and you can do without all the suspense, etc.

I'm actually surprised that Drive didn't get nominated. I didn't think it was great myself (it wasn't bad, certainly watchable, it just didn't grab me like others), but I would have thought it would have got a nomination for the Oscars, as it seemed like a film that critics would appreciate. I also note that Tilda Swinton didn't get nominated. Ah well...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Seriously WTF

No Offence, but the fact that you say Transformers 3 was amazing and Drive was terrible makes me wonder if you should really be commenting on the standard of films nominated for the oscars...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 334
    Forum Member
    rybev wrote: »
    Can I please borrow the LMAO from your thread title for your suggestion that Limitless and of all things Real Steel are superior to all the nominations!!!

Haha...
  • Options
    seelleeseellee Posts: 10,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do have to question whether the OP has seen the nominated films?

I loved the films you mentioned such as Hanna, Limitless and Apes, but I also think The Artist was a better film than all of them and I enjoyed it just as much if not more.

The problem is not enough people have eclectic taste or aren't prepared to open their minds to other things. You get people that only like subtitles, foreign films and as you call it artsy films and they won't give the likes of Apes a go, but it's equally as bad to be the other way around too.

I love a good blockbuster, but I can also see the merits of films like 127 hours or The Artist for instance. It's a shame people won't open their horizons a bit more.
  • Options
    Zero gravitasZero gravitas Posts: 12,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rise of the Planet Of The Apes only got a Visual Effects nod!
    I really do wonder at times.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    seellee wrote: »
    I do have to question whether the OP has seen the nominated films?

I loved the films you mentioned such as Hanna, Limitless and Apes, but I also think The Artist was a better film than all of them and I enjoyed it just as much if not more.

The problem is not enough people have eclectic taste or aren't prepared to open their minds to other things. You get people that only like subtitles, foreign films and as you call it artsy films and they won't give the likes of Apes a go, but it's equally as bad to be the other way around too.

I love a good blockbuster, but I can also see the merits of films like 127 hours or The Artist for instance. It's a shame people won't open their horizons a bit more.

Great post! Hurrah!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Hanna and Planet of the Apes I agree with but you place Limitless and Real Steel but then laugh at Drive.

L
    M
    A
    O
  • Options
    seelleeseellee Posts: 10,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rise of the Planet Of The Apes only got a Visual Effects nod!
    I really do wonder at times.

The only thing I'd be miffed about is that Andy Serkis has once again been overlooked. I can accept that Apes wasn't as good as something like the Artist, because well it wasn't. A great film no doubt, but not quite worthy of a best picture nod. I'd argue more for something like Drive to be honest.
  • Options
    SpaceToiletsSpaceToilets Posts: 3,343
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some omissions/things I need to point out

- No Best Actor nomination for Michael Fassbender for 'Shame'
    - No Best Actress nomination for Kirsten Dunst for 'Melancholia'
    - No Best Foreign Language Film Nomination for 'The Skin I Live In'
    - The ridiculous number of nominations for 'Hugo'
    - Leonardo DiCaprio being made to wait even longer for his Oscar
    - No 'Drive' in Best Picture
    - No 'Senna' in Best Documentary
    - 'Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close' getting nominated considering it's been panned by everyone
    - Rooney Mara being nominated for Best Actress considering Noomi Rapace has already played her role and already set the tone for that character
    - 'Transformers 3' getting three nominations (SMFH)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    - Rooney Mara being nominated for Best Actress considering Noomi Rapace has already played her role and already set the tone for that character

Surely the book set the tone? Rooney isn't redoing Noomi she is performing based on the book.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some omissions/things I need to point out

- No Best Actor nomination for Michael Fassbender
    - No Best Actress nomination for Kirsten Dunst for Melancholia
    - No Best Foreign language Film Nomination for 'The Skin I Live In'
    - The ridiculous number of nominations for Hugo
    - Leonardo DiCaprio being made to wait even longer for his Oscar
    - No Drive in Best Picture
    - No Senna in Best Documentary
    - Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close getting nominated considering it's been panned by everyone
    - Transformers 3 getting three nominations (SMFH)

2 things, as far as I'm concerned Leo can keep waiting for his Oscar.
    The main thing is I totally agree about Rooney Mara. I haven't seen the Girl remake but I'm sure she performs well. But Noomi Rapace IS Lisbeth Salander IMO.