Analogue tv and set top box

lea27lea27 Posts: 11,426
Forum Member
✭✭
I have an analogue tv thats around 7 years old, nothing wrong with it and therefore not going to get rid of it. Was wondering what I can do keep it going after the digital switchover. Is it going to be ok to buy a set top box and a decent indoor aeriel, is this going to work with the switchover?

Comments

• JulesandSandJulesandSand Posts: 6,012
    Forum Member
    Yes it will work with a Freeview set-top box. Whether it will work with an indoor aerial will depend on local signal strength.

In my locale a roof top aerial is required.
  • Chris FrostChris Frost Posts: 11,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lea27 wrote: »
    I have an analogue tv thats around 7 years old, nothing wrong with it and therefore not going to get rid of it. Was wondering what I can do keep it going after the digital switchover. Is it going to be ok to buy a set top box and a decent indoor aeriel, is this going to work with the switchover?
    It's just a thought, but how is the set receiving signals at the moment? Is it connected to an external aerial? If so then don't bother with an indoor aerial just yet.

Digital switchover (DSO) doesn't automatically mean the need for a new aerial. If you have an existing roof mounted aerial then that will often give a better result than even the best indoor version. Just buy a Freeview box and try it. You never know, it might just work.
  • grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Try a box with it now, just because your transmitter has not undergone dso doesn't necessarily mean you can't use digital.

Most pre-dso transmitters have both analogue and digital services, the output power of the digital signals are lower to avoid interference with other services, At dso the closure of the analogue services allows a large increase in the digital power.

Chances are that if your analogue signals are OK then a digibox will work fine. If your TV doesn't have scart sockets you will need a box with a built in modulator.

Put your post code in here to see if you can get digital now,

http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/postcodechecker/
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    still pople think that analogue equipment AREN'T going to work after the switchover

tv's without scart connections can be used thru the RF ariel cable, from a set top box
  • grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jenzie wrote: »
    still pople think that analogue equipment AREN'T going to work after the switchover

tv's without scart connections can be used thru the RF ariel cable, from a set top box

Only if the box has a built in rf modulator or you add an external one.
  • ProDaveProDave Posts: 11,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you are going to buy a freeview box now, get an HD one. It will still work with a non HD tv via scart, but is more likely to be a bit future proof.

I recommend the current Vestel HD boxes. Apart from being pretty good, they have my must have feature of allowing you to re number the channels.

I bought mine, the Techica STBHDV2010 for £25 from tesco outlet on ebay, so keep an eye open, they can be had very cheap from time to time.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,623
    Forum Member
    But a clean feed is needed for good Freeview reception.
  • stylostylo Posts: 368
    Forum Member
    gomezz wrote: »
    But a clean feed is needed for good Freeview reception.

...by washing the 'aerial' in 'Ariel' as mentioned above :D
  • AidanLunnAidanLunn Posts: 5,320
    Forum Member
    If your set has teletext - which, being 7 years old, it sounds like it has - use page 284 on BBC Ceefax to run a signal quality test on it. A page then filled with rows of white boxes should then appear (or the page explaining it beforehand). If any of those white boxes are missing, then it's recommended that you get your aerial set-up and downlead checked. (The header and footer text rows on this test page do not form part of the test).

So if any rows or individual squares are missing or replaced by text, your aerial set-up has failed.

This is what it should look like.

http://www.markyboy.net/dso2.jpg
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    A freeview box with only a scart socket can also be used in conjunction with a RF Modulator which can be purchased from maplin or ebay
  • lea27lea27 Posts: 11,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bought a Bush set top box on offer from Argos with a scart lead and an aerial that works for both analogue and digital and also radio.

Set top box installed very quickly, looked like I had around 60 channels but last night noticed that only about 14 of these channels could actually be viewed. I then re-scanned for channels and that time it seemed to not pick up the radio channels. I live in an area with good reception. Will I be able to get the rest of the channels when the switchover happens?

It also displays a message reminding me of the switchover and how to completely reinstall all channels when it happens which seems simple enough.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you're getting around 60 channels at the moment, you may either get 60 post DSO Stage 2 fine or you may, just may, need a new aerial http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/how_do_i_switch/your_aerial

To check this, put your house postcode and name or number in the box on
    http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/how_do_i_switch/connections__and__retuning/retuning_instructions - it should give you your most likely transmitter's manual tuning details now and you can always repeat the exercise on your DSO dates.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just had another look I probably only actually get about 30 channels and at the moment only get picture with about 14 of them. The others have no picture and the tv guide says no signal.
  • emptyboxemptybox Posts: 13,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is this an indoor aerial that you bought?
    Do you not have an aerial on your roof or in your loft?
    The same one you used for analogue should still work for digital reception.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its an indoor aerial, better than the one I had when just using analogue. Information with it says it picks up digital too.

I do not have an aerial on the roof. The indoor aerial is in the loft, where the room actually is.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You may look up the the make and model of your aerial on here for reviews http://www.ricability-digitaltv.org.uk/pages/products/indoor_aerials/aerial_search_results.asp Some are definitely better quality than others. Also check the bearing to your best transmitter.

Similarly some Set Top Boxes /PVRs have more sensitive tuners than others and it is worthwhile doing some research before toddling down to Argos.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its an indoor aerial, better than the one I had when just using analogue. Information with it says it picks up digital too.

I do not have an aerial on the roof. The indoor aerial is in the loft, where the room actually is.
    Does the aerial look like this?

http://www.argos.co.uk/wcsstore/argos/images/5343243A61IFN137737M.JPG

If so give it a decent burial then go out and get a bit of damp string, it will work better in my experience of these useless devices. Ones that look like small outdoor aerials work better IMO.
  • mac2708mac2708 Posts: 3,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its an indoor aerial..... Information with it says it picks up digital too.

Useless, misleading advertising speak I'm afraid.
    It makes no difference to the aerial if the transmission is analogue or digital - a signal is a signal - and it's the strength of that signal received that matters
  • nvingonvingo Posts: 8,619
    Forum Member
    OP states his TV is 7 yo. Apart from portable TVs, scart sockets have been mandatory for almost 30 years.
  • SpotSpot Posts: 25,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it's picking up some signals but not others it sounds as though reception at the moment is marginal and so will probably be much better post DSO. It might make all the difference with an indoor aerial. In the meantime, try moving it about and try to find an optimum position where you can get all the channels you might want to watch. This might be rather a matter of trial and error, but could be worthwhile spending a few minutes on.

Might be worth trying your old aerial as well. It might work better. As others have said, there's no such thing as a digital aerial.
    Forum Member

That's just a load of branding horseshit. I have an indoor aerial from the early 1970s that works fine with Freeview, mind you, I can see the transmitter from here.

It may work with digital - but only when such a small aerial can actually pick up a decent signal.
    Forum Member

Or through phono cables, like my mum's 1993 Sharp does.