European games..

Mark FMark F Posts: 53,848
Forum Member
Will anyone be watching the events in Baku - do Team GB have a good chance of doing well?

Comments

• grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll be watching. We are certainly sending strong teams in some sports, so should medal in those on current form. Other sports are sending development & junior teams, so it will depend what other nations send. Our A teams will be in action in canoeing, judo & taekwando, we've had plenty of medals in those so far this season. Swimming, boxing, diving, gymnastics & triathlon are B teams, but should be good enough for something.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Britain_at_the_2015_European_Games
  • MagicCoppeliaMagicCoppelia Posts: 20,987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will it be shown on TV?.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will it be shown on TV?.

It's going to be all over BT Sport for several hours a day, starting on Friday.
  • MagicCoppeliaMagicCoppelia Posts: 20,987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's going to be all over BT Sport for several hours a day, starting on Friday.

Darn. I don't have BT sport. I'm really mostly interested in the Gymnastics though. I'll have to hope it turns up on YouTube.
  • Mark FMark F Posts: 53,848
    Forum Member
    Looks like the Dutch have pulled out of hosting the 2019 event...

Not great news really - is that down to money?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The problem with giving any kind of international events to one of these tinpot dictatorship-type countries is that whereas any normal country could put it on by just giving a new coat of paint to the badminton hall and postponing the pensioners' stretch and slim classes for a few weeks, the dictators always insist on spending billions on lavish ceremonies, so the organisers then expect everyone else to do the same.

Anyway, in sports news, boxer Nicole Adams will be the flagbearer at the opening ceremony tomorrow.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It all gets underway tomorrow... there are some Day 0 preliminary events and the sure-to-be-elaborate opening ceremony. Expect something to do with Azerbaijan Land of Fire and a cast of tens of thousands of extras.

It's all live on BT Sports 1

07:30, 11:30, 15:30 - Synchro Swimming prelims - Team GB in action.
    09:30 Women's Water Polo - GBR v Greece

17:00 Opening Ceremony
  • Tiger RoseTiger Rose Posts: 11,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apparantly the Guardian have been banned from reporting on the event.
  • Mark FMark F Posts: 53,848
    Forum Member
    Tiger Rose wrote: »
    Apparantly the Guardian have been banned from reporting on the event.

Why - are they anti Azerbaijan?
  • bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mark F wrote: »
    Looks like the Dutch have pulled out of hosting the 2019 event...

Not great news really - is that down to money?

I think that was the problem.
    Just for interest this years games
    20 sports, 253 events
    Toronto Pan Am
    36 sports, 364 events
    Toronto Para Pan
    15 sports, 445 events
    Rio Olympics
    28 sports, 306 events
    Rio Paralympics
    22 sports 526 events

Glasgow including some Para events
    18 sports 261 events

I think that to be a success European Games need to be limited to 20 sports and include Para Sport events. Or a separate Para Games.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mark F wrote: »
    Why - are they anti Azerbaijan?

Azerbaijan has a few human rights issues, not to tolerant on opposition voices. But as a former Soviet state, i believe still close politically to Moscow.

Sort of ironic, The Guardian, liberal journal, maybe favours the left, critical of a state which was once a communist state...unless Azerbaijan has swung to the right, a slight left paper critical of a left state.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sort of ironic, The Guardian, liberal journal, maybe favours the left, critical of a state which was once a communist state...unless Azerbaijan has swung to the right, a slight left paper critical of a left state.

What is even more ironic is that the Guardian believes that the European Court of Human Rights should be supreme over British law - even though Azerbaijan sits on it.

We are off in Baku! Buttocks tightly clenched, and grinning like The Joker, the Russian Synchro Swimming girls have the honour of being the first to compete in the inaugural European Games!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Darn. I don't have BT sport. I'm really mostly interested in the Gymnastics though. I'll have to hope it turns up on YouTube.

There seems to be live streaming on the official website and YouTube.

http://www.baku2015.com/video/index.html

Presumably it will be up to BT Sport to geoblock it, but they usually don't, unlike the BBC.

Team GB currently 0-9 down to Greece in the women's water polo. :blush:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Team GB currently 0-9 down to Greece in the women's water polo. :blush:

Mixed news for our water polo girls. The good news: they got two goals back. The bad news: they shipped another 11. Final Score - GBR 2 GRE 20. However, they did a bit better than Israel, who lost to the Netherlands 29-1.

Here's the YouTube link - looks like there will multiple simultaneous streams plus complete archive of previous events, so no need to worry about missing anything.

https://www.youtube.com/user/baku2015
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,373
    Forum Member
    Opening ceremony on now.

BT announcers are already getting on my nerves

"This anthem has been performed today for the first time, in G-minor."
  • ollie1004ollie1004 Posts: 754
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hmm it's all a bit too "Olympics" for me. The flame, the torch relay. Not sure how much of an appetite one can muster for this sort of event unless the year ends in a 2, 4, 6 or an 8.

Interesting side note, the female narrator in the stadium was the same one used for London's closing ceremony. She's the former Channel 4 announcer, I think.
    Forum Member
    ollie1004 wrote: »
    Hmm it's all a bit too "Olympics" for me. .

It pretty much IS the European Olympics, so that's not much of a surprise.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ollie1004 wrote: »
    Hmm it's all a bit too "Olympics" for me. The flame, the torch relay. Not sure how much of an appetite one can muster for this sort of event unless the year ends in a 2, 4, 6 or an 8.

Interesting side note, the female narrator in the stadium was the same one used for London's closing ceremony. She's the former Channel 4 announcer, I think.

I think that it may be too much for Britain, it is how this goes in Germany, Italy,Spain that will determine the future.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think that it may be too much for Britain, it is how this goes in Germany, Italy,Spain that will determine the future.

Silly me, :blush:
    Spain, italy and France compete in the Mediterranean Games.

So these games need to be seen as more important than the Mediterranian Games it would seem.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lady GaGa doing Imagine?

No European singers?
    Mind you a beautiful selection of song, for a continent that has in the last 100 years torn itself up.
    Forum Member
    Lady Gaga with the worst ever rendition of "Imagine"
  • Edward_SloleyEdward_Sloley Posts: 10,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And out comes the flag of The European Olympic Committees.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lady Gaga with the worst ever rendition of "Imagine"

I second you on that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's the Boss! Clap for your lives!!!!!
  • Edward_SloleyEdward_Sloley Posts: 10,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Patrick Hickey just uttered what may have been the longest formal saluation in history - must have taken the best part of a minute!