Options

Does being induced make labour hurt more?

NathalieRNathalieR Posts: 16,004
Forum Member
✭✭
Hi

I am scheduled to be induced tomorrow at some point as I am 10 days overdue :eek:

I am quite depressed about the prospect as reading about it, it doesn't sound too good and doesn't help that my hospital is meant to be one of the worst in the country for maternity services! Apparantly the induction itself can take a day or two before the labour has even started and I have heard the labour contraction pains can be more more severe than a natural labour :(

Has anyone being induced before and is it really that bad? I am expecting pain of course but its scary thinking it might be even worse than a normal labour!

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi Natalie - I haven't had kids myself yet but I know a few people who have been induced - my cousin was induced for her 3rd child and she said it was her easiest labour - the other ones also said it was about the same.

to be honest I wouldn't read any more about it as this can just make you more nervous, what will be will be. Best of luck :)
  • Options
    TWSTWS Posts: 9,307
    Forum Member
    most of the people in our natal classes were induced quite common with the first i think to get thinks going normally it is just a pessary or two or three, that should get you going.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi Nathalie,
    I have 4 children ranging in ages 21 - 7(almost) and was induced with the last one, even though I had a show on his due date but still went to 11 days past due date, but I actually found it to be the quickest and easiest birth of them all:) Is this your first? Please don't worry, you will be ok, all birth experiences are different, I know mine were. Will be thinking of you tomorrow and best of luck and loads of hugs(((((((((Nathalie)))))))))
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi Natalie - I haven't had kids myself yet but I know a few people who have been induced - my cousin was induced for her 3rd child and she said it was her easiest labour - the other ones also said it was about the same.

to be honest I wouldn't read any more about it as this can just make you more nervous, what will be will be. Best of luck :)

Thanks Charlie Coo :)

My mum was also induced and said it was her easiest but then again that was 30 years ago! Oh well no going back now..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Clune wrote: »
    Hi Nathalie,
    I have 4 children ranging in ages 21 - 7(almost) and was induced with the last one, even though I had a show on his due date but still went to 11 days past due date, but I actually found it to be the quickest and easiest birth of them all:) Is this your first? Please don't worry, you will be ok, all birth experiences are different, I know mine were. Will be thinking of you tomorrow and best of luck and loads of hugs(((((((((Nathalie)))))))))

Thanks for that, yes this is my first! I can't believe I'm so overdue, its been so frustrating especially as I am so huge now, I think the baby is going to be enormous in which case I think I might even have to have a C section.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NathalieR
    Good luck for tomorrow, and I hope mother and baby will be well :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TWS wrote: »
    most of the people in our natal classes were induced quite common with the first i think to get thinks going normally it is just a pessary or two or three, that should get you going.

Thanks TWS. Hopefully it will be straight forward but its so scary.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NathalieR wrote: »
    Thanks for that, yes this is my first! I can't believe I'm so overdue, its been so frustrating especially as I am so huge now, I think the baby is going to be enormous in which case I think I might even have to have a C section.

Once you get into the hospital, your midwife will take care of you. I live in a rural part of N. Ireland but I had one midwife to take care me throughout my labour and aftercare. Mind you, that was 7 years ago:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi I was induced for both of mine, the drip brings contractions on pretty regularly and both labours only lasted 6 hrs (labour for me was when the pains started) I managed with gas and air - obviously it wasn't a walk in the park but it really wasn't that bad. You could ask for pethadine (sp) as well if your nervous. Best of luck for tomorrow, you'll be fine.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NathalieR
    Good luck for tomorrow, and I hope mother and baby will be well :)

Cheers :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks TWS. Hopefully it will be straight forward but its so scary.

And you do get pain relief too, gas and air is a blast:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nah, its fine. They just put a pessary up insdie you to rest near to your cervix (which is just a small little pellet of white chalky tablet stuff that doesn't hurt). Then redo if nothing happens. it just kick starts labour.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Once you get into the hospital, your midwife will take care of you. I live in a rural part of N. Ireland but I had one midwife to take care me throughout my labour and aftercare. Mind you, that was 7 years ago:)

I have no faith in my hospital at all having read all the stories! I found out after being booked there that it has literally one of the worst maternity services not just in London but the UK!! :eek:

Really didn't want to spend more time there than needed but looking that way.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    halfacrown wrote: »
    Hi I was induced for both of mine, the drip brings contractions on pretty regularly and both labours only lasted 6 hrs (labour for me was when the pains started) I managed with gas and air - obviously it wasn't a walk in the park but it really wasn't that bad. You could ask for pethadine (sp) as well if your nervous. Best of luck for tomorrow, you'll be fine.

Oh wow 6 hours! Hope that happens to me! :)
  • Options
    michelle666michelle666 Posts: 2,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My Sister was due to be induced with her first and went into labour the evening before it was due to happen. I think worrying about it set her off.

I have no personal experience, so no adice I'm afraid. Just wanted to wish you luck. Just think, by this time tomorrow you could be holding your new baby. How exciting! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jon8769 wrote: »
    Nah, its fine. They just put a pessary up insdie you to rest near to your cervix (which is just a small little pellet of white chalky tablet stuff that doesn't hurt). Then redo if nothing happens. it just kick starts labour.

Thanks for that. I had a sweep last week and she actually said to me my cervix was soft so probably didn't need to wait until 18th Sept - :(

I really didn't want to be induced - i have eaten lots of pineapple, raspberry tea leaf, spicy things, had sex but I guess if the baby isn't ready (even though I am huge!!) then it isn't ready!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And you do get pain relief too, gas and air is a blast:D

I'm looking forward to the gas and air in a perverse kind of way! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have no faith in my hospital at all having read all the stories! I found out after being booked there that it has literally one of the worst maternity services not just in London but the UK!! :eek:

Try not to read too many horror stories, do you know anyone who has had a baby there and can give you a good, positive story. All birth experiences are different, I'm sure you will be fine:) I'd never go near my local hospital again if I read all about it
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My Sister was due to be induced with her first and went into labour the evening before it was due to happen. I think worrying about it set her off.

I have no personal experience, so no adice I'm afraid. Just wanted to wish you luck. Just think, by this time tomorrow you could be holding your new baby. How exciting! :D

I have a feeling its going to be a loong process!
    That would be great if I could go into labour tonight though!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Don't worry about that. Focus on you and your baby. Be demanding. If you want something ask, for it. Whoever is going to be your birth partner needs to be on the ball and be there for your too as you'll be too busy having your baby.

Its normal to worry but honestly, you will be okay and in safe hands.

I'm wondering if you live in similar part of London to me from what you say about the hospital.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Try not to read too many horror stories, do you know anyone who has had a baby there and can give you a good, positive story. All birth experiences are different, I'm sure you will be fine:) I'd never go near my local hospital again if I read all about it

Very true. It has to be done, I just hope somehow I go into labour natually between now and then :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jon8769 wrote: »
    Don't worry about that. Focus on you and your baby. Be demanding. If you want something ask, for it. Whoever is going to be your birth partner needs to be on the ball and be there for your too as you'll be too busy having your baby.

Its normal to worry but honestly, you will be okay and in safe hands.

I'm wondering if you live in similar part of London to me from what you say about the hospital.

Ideally I want my mum and partner there but I don't think they will allow both. Will try though.

I live in West London :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ideally I want my mum and partner there but I don't think they will allow both. Will try though.

I live in West London :)

Will PM you :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very true. It has to be done, I just hope somehow I go into labour natually between now and then :)

Try some vigorous cleaning, that may help. Or watch something that makes you laugh really hard, that worked for me with my third, and I was only watching Lethal Weapon 3:D
  • Options
    mrsparadoxmrsparadox Posts: 1,924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had gestational diabetes with my youngest and was induced 10 days before my due date.
    I had the gel on the saturday morning and I had contractions on and off all day but they slowly disappeared come saturday night. I had more gel at lunchtime on the sunday and contractions were coming more regular but I wasn't progessing as I should, so I had my waters broken for me, this wasnt pleasant but more uncomfortable than painful. (I did however almost drown my midwife during this which was quite entertaining!) I also has a Syntocinon drip to help things along which I would say was the worst part because as soon as that kicked in there was no build up, the contractions hit me hard and I was clutching onto the gas and air for dear life! I did well for a few hours but then asked for a epidural. In hindsight I shouldn't have had it because baby was out half an hour later but we werent actually aware of how quickly I was progressing, we still thought we had a while to go!
    From the time my labour was established to the time baby was born was about 6 hours, not bad, especially when you can compare it to my first childbirth where I was battling through for around 90 hours :cry:

That was my experience. Slightly different circumstances but thought I'd give it to you anyway. Please remember everyone is different and don't worry yourself over horror stories you may read, getting yourself worked up will not help.

Good luck :)