What happened to Bryan Kirkwood?

JayyKJayyK Posts: 423
Forum Member
During his first stint at Hollyoaks he was great and he put the show on the map. He then moved to EastEnders and was a disaster, changing the feel of the show and given all the characters personality implants. Now he is back at Hollyoaks and every social issue he has covered from John Paul's rape to the current Cindy Bipolar story are not just offensive to those who have suffered these things but damn right irresponsible as well. It seems MIND will consider its relationship with the soap. So I ask, when did Bryan Kirkwood become the worst producer we have ever seen in UK soap?

Comments

• Jimmy SkitzJimmy Skitz Posts: 3,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    when he started to believe his own press?
  • dazza89dazza89 Posts: 13,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kirkwood ran out of ideas on Hollyoaks a long time ago. When he first returned it was good and his first big story the bus crash was brilliant, however it seems since he has been trying to top that year after year with constant stunts that may be very good but have no aftermath to them at all which makes it difficult to care, I cannot believe a big character like Carmel Mcqueen was killed off less than a year ago, as it feels like she was never there. Its not just the stunts and the deaths, Patrick and Maxine's abuse story was excellent with fantastic acting from Jeremy and Nikki, during the wedding when Maxine admitted what Patrick had been doing to her that should have been the point when Maxine moved on but instead we had the likes of Nancy turning against her believing it was Patrick that was the victim and then its been a case of what evil thing can Patrick do next?, its the same with Sienna, Anna Passey is a great actress but I feel there is no way back for Sienna now, the incest plot involving Dodger really was a low point for Hollyoaks and Sienna still hasn't recovered from that even though the show wants us to forget it.

Kirkwood has ripped apart what Hollyoaks was always about, no Uni or SU bar but instead a hospital, this isn't Holby City and the fact all of those characters that work there have committed crimes and get away with keeping there job is ridiculous, I really have no interest to who the gloved hand killer is as I don't care for any of them, Lindsay is a selfish bitch who refuses to take any blame for the hurt she has caused to people, Dr'Savage isn't even a real bloody doctor, Tegan is one of the most annoying characters in the show who no doubt will get away with kidnapping her own daughter and keep her job. Kim is a nutter but the only one I actually like and has the makings of a soap bitch. Celine is just another Mcqueen to add to the numbers.

Occasionly the old Hollyoaks reappears, the scenes with Cindy and the Lovedays a few weeks ago when talking about there past were very good, Pete and the Mcqueen abuse story is being handed well so far but probably alot of that is down to having good actresses like Zoe Lucker and Twinny Lee Moore fronting it. Grace and Trevor are still one of the best soap couples around as well.

If Kirkwood had any decency he would leave and let someone with a fresh pair of eyes come in and make the changes we need, however he seems so far up his backside these days he thinks the love triangle between Leela/Ziggy/Tegan is what we want to watch, the man hasn't a clue anymore and hasn't for some time.
  • cyrilandshirleycyrilandshirley Posts: 48,569
    Forum Member
    It's a real mystery. I liked his work in 2006. I remember him talking about it, and he said he came in and took a careful look around so that he could build on what was good that was already there - specially remember him saying Darren was underused and Craig had potential. He seemed to care about continuity.

When he came back end of 2012, it was obvious the moment he walked in the door. The storylines just started ripping people apart - starting with Rhys cheating on Jacqui with both Sinead and Cindy. Instead of respecting what was there, he just went blundering in and destroyed anything he didn't like and turned it back the way he remembered it. It was just so clumsy and crude. As someone who used to love it, I watched open-mouthed as everything I liked got trashed. Then switched off.

There's a few possible reasons, but I'm guessing him and Jay Hunt cooked up this idea of wild wacky OTT Hollyoaks, which would be trashier and tackier than anything else, and they think it's brilliant and won't be shifted from it now, no matter what anyone says.
  • NoughtiesMusicNoughtiesMusic Posts: 15,914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe he grew a massive ego and became heavily influenced by Hollywood-style action scripts. That might explain the excessive number of deaths, accidents and disasters in a small village outside Chester. He has lost any sense of proportion that he used to have during his first HO tenure. He doesn't seem capable of telling realistic yet compelling stories anymore. HO has always been targeted at younger audiences but this is taking the mick!

We saw just how his mind worked when he was EP on EastEnders. He came in like a tidal wave, had no empathy with long-term viewers and lost view of the fact that he was supposed to be telling a meaty story to a wider audience, not to himself according to what he thinks is cool. It's perfectly normal for new EPs to make cast changes and add their mark to a soap, but aside from a small handful of good storylines, strong character introductions (Lola, Cora, Vanessa, Michael) and the return of Sharon, the rest was absolute pits! His other characters like the Moon brothers and Derek and Joey Branning were utter shite. The Kat shagger storyline was the absolute nadir of EE (Lorraine Newman should've wrapped it up sooner when she took over). Not to mention the needless killing off of Pat and Heather.

Now because Channel 4 is seemingly too scared to call him out on his crap he can get away with much worse. I assume BBC had some discretion to control his more outrageous ideas for EE, but there appears to be no limit to what he's doing to HO, right now. Just look at how he's mocking mental illness with Cindy's storyline. This week we saw one of the worst episodes of the year so far, as she continued her ridiculous quest for Jason, her horny novel and running through the village in her wedding dress, set to a fairytale score!!!!!
  • Louise_HartLouise_Hart Posts: 3,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He lost his mind:D

He has the ego the size of Mount Everest.
  • FuddFudd Posts: 166,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Over work. He's been an executive producer for one soap or another for around a decade - he's run out of ideas.

I felt slightly sorry for him in charge of EastEnders as not many acknowledge that the show was starting to struggle prior to him taking over. He just couldn't right the listing ship.
  • Louise_HartLouise_Hart Posts: 3,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fudd wrote: »
    Over work. He's been an executive producer for one soap or another for around a decade - he's run out of ideas.

I felt slightly sorry for him in charge of EastEnders as not many acknowledge that the show was starting to struggle prior to him taking over. He just couldn't right the listing ship.

The show was doing great prior to him, they had just had thier 25th anniversary which had pulled in 16 million viewers:confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 27
    Forum Member
    How was it starting to struggle? EastEnders within the year had done Ronnie/Danielle reveal, Danielle's death, Stacey's bipolar, Archie's reign, who killed Archie, EastEnders Live... then Kirkwood took over, he did not try and save it, he was the one who crashed it into the sea... It was rescued by Newman who was able to level everything out and set it up for DTC to work his magic.... Unfortunately, Hollyoaks hasn't had a saviour turn up, nor does it seem one will
  • kjg1995kjg1995 Posts: 281
    Forum Member
    Sure I read somewhere that Channel 4 ordered the show to follow the more sensationalist route it has gone down now

Granted, BK still doing a ridiclous job there but if its true about Channel 4 then that is worrying and dissapointing
  • NoughtiesMusicNoughtiesMusic Posts: 15,914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kjg1995 wrote: »
    Sure I read somewhere that Channel 4 ordered the show to follow the more sensationalist route it has gone down now

Granted, BK still doing a ridiclous job there but if its true about Channel 4 then that is worrying and dissapointing

If Channel 4 have anything to do with it, they should be ashamed of themselves. For a channel that produces some really high quality programming and thinks out of the box, why they wouldn't apply that to a soap is hard to understand. Didn't they learn anything from the death of Brookside?
  • attitude99attitude99 Posts: 14,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kjg1995 wrote: »

If Channel 4 have anything to do with it, they should be ashamed of themselves. For a channel that produces some really high quality programming and thinks out of the box, why they wouldn't apply that to a soap is hard to understand. Didn't they learn anything from the death of Brookside?

I agree. If Channel 4 ordered that Hollyoaks turns in sensationalist shite then more fool them! Both Brookside & Hollyoaks were compelling dramas before sensationalism took over & ruined the very foundations. Where has the Hollyoaks that screens sensitive storylines gone? It's now been replaced with a copy of Holby City with doctors & nurses who aren't real & get away with their crimes.

It is true that the old Hollyoaks shines through sometimes. Examples include the Lovedays revealing their past, Cindy breaking down at the police station, Ste's HIV episode earlier on in the year, & this McQueen abuse storyline. But anything good is overshadowed by over the top nonsense. Sienna vs Nancy, Sienna vs Carly, Nico killing Carly & then shall be burying her in the wall. Jason becoming a police officer in all of 5 minutes, Kim lusting over Grace etc it just ruins any good factors the show has.
  • Danny_FrancisDanny_Francis Posts: 5,656
    Forum Member
    Run out of ideas I think, HO and Corrie need a new direction
  • k4te89k4te89 Posts: 421
    Forum Member
    I don't know of he thinks we all want to see characters cheating on each other, fighting constantly and committing crimes like there are no laws or morality. We don't.

The grip on reality has been completely lost and has been for a long time. He insults the viewers intelligence and I don't know if this is because he's bored, or because he's too lazy to build a story properly.

The only good thing currently is Grace and Trevor and he's already trying to ruin that.

I don't know if his personality is being reflected in the story lines but if it is, he has a serious lack of morals and is an extremely selfish person.
  • FuddFudd Posts: 166,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The show was doing great prior to him, they had just had thier 25th anniversary which had pulled in 16 million viewers:confused:
    ConnorSams wrote: »
    How was it starting to struggle? EastEnders within the year had done Ronnie/Danielle reveal, Danielle's death, Stacey's bipolar, Archie's reign, who killed Archie, EastEnders Live... then Kirkwood took over, he did not try and save it, he was the one who crashed it into the sea... It was rescued by Newman who was able to level everything out and set it up for DTC to work his magic.... Unfortunately, Hollyoaks hasn't had a saviour turn up, nor does it seem one will

The aftermath of the live was a mess and where the rot started to set in. The desperation to keep the killer a secret led to no follow up for weeks after the big episode. Suddenly B and C List stories were expected to carry the show until the A List scripts had been filmed. It was a mess.

But the decline didn't happen straight away; it never does. Coronation Street has been widely criticised under Stuart Blackburn but still hasn't quite fallen below EastEnders. Time passes, the quality doesn't improve and slowly but surely people drift away. But the real hit, ratings wise, didn't take place under Kirkwood - it happened under Newman.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 27
    Forum Member
    Fudd wrote: »
    The aftermath of the live was a mess and where the rot started to set in. The desperation to keep the killer a secret led to no follow up for weeks after the big episode. Suddenly B and C List stories were expected to carry the show until the A List scripts had been filmed. It was a mess.

But the decline didn't happen straight away; it never does. Coronation Street has been widely criticised under Stuart Blackburn but still hasn't quite fallen below EastEnders. Time passes, the quality doesn't improve and slowly but surely people drift away. But the real hit, ratings wise, didn't take place under Kirkwood - it happened under Newman.

Exactly, the Santer and Kirkwood changeover occurred at the time of the live, they were joint EPs for the live episode and Kirkwood took over solo straight after, so had been in charge for a number of weeks before. He started Eastenders' decent, and he's now running Hollyoaks into the ground
  • Amazee-DayzeeAmazee-Dayzee Posts: 1,809
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He really started to fall apart when he decided it was a GOOD idea to turn Sienna and Dodger into Jamie and Cersei from Game of Thrones and have Nico become an amalgam of Tommen, Joffrey and Myracella. Seriously, having Sienna lust after her TWIN is one thing, but having them unknowingly conceive a child is another thing. That was WORSE than Patrick being Nico's father.
  • lou_123lou_123 Posts: 12,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't speak for his time on Hollyoaks, as I'm not a regular viewer...

However, he was absolutely dreadful when it comes to EastEnders. After an incredible 3 years under DS, he completely butchered the show, and it still hasn't and probably never will fully recover!

Finally enough, I think his first few months as EP were brilliant. Bringing back Lisa Fowler, and Phil's drug addiction were great ideas, as was bringing back Kat & Alfie to replace the hole Peggy left. Stacey's exit episode was flawless, and the fact it was watched by over 11 million people hopefully echoes that. The Queen Vic Fire, Peggy's exit, and Billie's death were also handled fantastically. I enjoyed the Janine/Ryan/Stacey plot, and loved the introductions of Vanessa and Michael. But, like others have said the guy has no long term vision, and after a few months of great consistency under him, the show started to dip. The baby swap storyline was very controversial, but delivered some great drama. After that, things just got worse, until the show was unrecognisable. After a very strong 2009/2010, 2011 and 2012 under Kirkwood were a complete mess and a disaster, not to mention killing off Heather and Pat were awful, awful decisions... Epically the latter!
    Forum Member
    He really started to fall apart when he decided it was a GOOD idea to turn Sienna and Dodger into Jamie and Cersei from Game of Thrones and have Nico become an amalgam of Tommen, Joffrey and Myracella. Seriously, having Sienna lust after her TWIN is one thing, but having them unknowingly conceive a child is another thing. That was WORSE than Patrick being Nico's father.

I just really didn't understand this story line. It was so sick it was embarrassing.
  • KeibroKeibro Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dazza89 wrote: »
    Kirkwood ran out of ideas on Hollyoaks a long time ago. When he first returned it was good and his first big story the bus crash was brilliant, however it seems since he has been trying to top that year after year with constant stunts that may be very good but have no aftermath to them at all which makes it difficult to care, I cannot believe a big character like Carmel Mcqueen was killed off less than a year ago, as it feels like she was never there. Its not just the stunts and the deaths, Patrick and Maxine's abuse story was excellent with fantastic acting from Jeremy and Nikki, during the wedding when Maxine admitted what Patrick had been doing to her that should have been the point when Maxine moved on but instead we had the likes of Nancy turning against her believing it was Patrick that was the victim and then its been a case of what evil thing can Patrick do next?, its the same with Sienna, Anna Passey is a great actress but I feel there is no way back for Sienna now, the incest plot involving Dodger really was a low point for Hollyoaks and Sienna still hasn't recovered from that even though the show wants us to forget it.

Kirkwood has ripped apart what Hollyoaks was always about, no Uni or SU bar but instead a hospital, this isn't Holby City and the fact all of those characters that work there have committed crimes and get away with keeping there job is ridiculous, I really have no interest to who the gloved hand killer is as I don't care for any of them, Lindsay is a selfish bitch who refuses to take any blame for the hurt she has caused to people, Dr'Savage isn't even a real bloody doctor, Tegan is one of the most annoying characters in the show who no doubt will get away with kidnapping her own daughter and keep her job. Kim is a nutter but the only one I actually like and has the makings of a soap bitch. Celine is just another Mcqueen to add to the numbers.

Occasionly the old Hollyoaks reappears, the scenes with Cindy and the Lovedays a few weeks ago when talking about there past were very good, Pete and the Mcqueen abuse story is being handed well so far but probably alot of that is down to having good actresses like Zoe Lucker and Twinny Lee Moore fronting it. Grace and Trevor are still one of the best soap couples around as well.

If Kirkwood had any decency he would leave and let someone with a fresh pair of eyes come in and make the changes we need, however he seems so far up his backside these days he thinks the love triangle between Leela/Ziggy/Tegan is what we want to watch, the man hasn't a clue anymore and hasn't for some time.

Spot on mate.

Kirkwood is slowly killing Hollyoaks. He was a revelation in his original shint with some Fantastic stories and characters. The original McQueen family were brilliant.

After his disastrous stint at EastEnders, he came back initially to great fanfare but he has well overstayed his welcome.

Character like Sienna are not meant to run and run, they become even more bonkers and implausible, which basically sums Hollyoaks up.

I did wonder if Channel 4 were planning to do a Brookie on it and scrap it.
  • Amazee-DayzeeAmazee-Dayzee Posts: 1,809
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    k4te89 wrote: »
    I just really didn't understand this story line. It was so sick it was embarrassing.

Honestly, I much rather had a friend of Patrick's rape Sienna than it being either Patrick or Dodger. Nico is her own first cousin. Her mom is her aunt and her dad is her uncle. And her half-sister with the ridiculous name (was Theresa on drugs?) is her first cousin also.
    Forum Member
    Honestly, I much rather had a friend of Patrick's rape Sienna than it being either Patrick or Dodger. Nico is her own first cousin. Her mom is her aunt and her dad is her uncle. And her half-sister with the ridiculous name (was Theresa on drugs?) is her first cousin also.

I know, it just makes no sense that Sienna would not recognise Dodger when they met later in life. I know Sienna is crazy, but Dodger wasn't.