Options

Any fans of Real Ale out there?

Comments

• Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Brakespears and Ruddles...........those are the two I remember from back in the 70s when I first discovered real ale........

Ruddles was fairly widely available in London.........Brakespears was the tipple on walking/camping expeditions to the Chilterns.........

I've tried a few bottled ones from the supermarket over the years, but never really found one I liked..........
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a local brewery to me http://www.stonehousebrewery.co.uk/

Gorgeous beers, we're lucky to have a proper real ale pub where i live with 7 or 8 different beers on. Marvellous:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oinster wrote: »
    Shepherd Neame beers all the way for me :D
    THat just made me PMSL!!! The landlord of my local fell out with the Neame family years ago and he went ballistic when the Manageress got Tribute as a guest beer. He hid the pump badge and stuck a cork in the barrell. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    loopotter wrote: »
    where abouts do you live to drink Doom?

I love Doombar...even holidayed in Padstow to be surrounded by it!

My fave ale is Otter (hence my name) then Doom, then Bombardier.

Yeah it is hard to find in London, but a few places carry it as a guest now and again.

I discovered it when I went to a funeral in Cornwall. I like Otter, seen it now and again, I'm not keen on Bomb, it is a wee bit soapy for me. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 80
    Forum Member
    hobgoblin , wychwood brewery
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 254
    Forum Member
    Yep, I'm a huge fan of real ale. In fact, it was one of the major factors in my moving back to blighty after living abroad for several years; I missed it too much!

Doombar is actually available across most of the West and South West now - it's a great beer wherever you find it, but, along with the other Sharp's beers, it's even better at some of the pubs near the brewery in Rock (I can recommend the Blisland Inn on Bodmin Moor - former CAMRA national pub of the year - and the Port Gaverne Hotel, near Port Isaac, if anyone's down that way).

Lots of good beers have been mentioned here. Other favourites of mine include the aforementioned Deuchars IPA and Sarah Hughes Dark Ruby, as well as Wickwar's Mr Perrett's Stout, Oakham JHB and White Dwarf, Bath Ales Barnstormer and Festivity, Castle Rock Elsie Mo, and many more besides!
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bottled Jennings 'Snecklifter' is getting quite common.

worth looking out for.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Timmy Taylor's Landlord
    Hopback Summer Lightning
    London Pride
    Batham's
  • Options
    FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Member of CAMRA.

Generally prefer dark, fruity and malty to light, dry and hoppy (unless it's really hot weather).

My top 10 (tends to change - and in no order) assuming they are really well kept

Hook Norton Old Hookey
    Timothy Taylor Landlord
    Fullers ESB (love Pride and their seasonals too)
    Harvey's Old
    Hogs Back T.E.A.
    Woodforde Wherry
    Exmoor Beast (handle with care)
    Gales HSB (now owned by Fullers)
    Arundel Old Knucker
    Oakham JHB
    Cotleigh Old Buzzard

So many beers, so little time.
  • Options
    dddddarrendddddarren Posts: 2,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    real ale isnt seen as a sexy drink at the moment. they should get some stars who drink real ale to support and campaign for real ale in pubs. The most famous one i can think of is that great actress who played Sally Sparrow in Dr Who. She cant get enough of the stuff and would be a great representative.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    C'mon the ale drinkers, vote Sally Sparrow
  • Options
    snuffle_-_uksnuffle_-_uk Posts: 599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On a sort of related note to all this... dimple mugs. i thought these had gone out with the 70s but i've been served ale in these at least twice in the last month, i love having a pint out of them
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mmmm, proper beer, lovely!

Marstons Pedigree
    Youngs Special
    London Pride
    Theakstons Bitter
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to drink it, my boyf does now, but as we live in Kent averything is Shephard Neame and according to him they're crap, his favorite is London Pride.
    In off licences they always have offers on bottled ales, my theory is go for the one with the oddest name!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I prefer a nice cuppa tea and a sit down

well single malt!
  • Options
    tomvoxxtomvoxx Posts: 2,340
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Organic Honeydew - a perfect Summer ale.
  • Options
    FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On a sort of related note to all this... dimple mugs. i thought these had gone out with the 70s but i've been served ale in these at least twice in the last month, i love having a pint out of them

I first saw one in a pub in Crystal Palace about 3 years ago (your beer came in one unless you asked for something else).

I like them (and recall them fom years ago).

The main reason for the 'straight' glasses is they are easier to stack and carry.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Our local china shop sells them for about £2 each, OH has one in the cupboard for his guinness.
  • Options
    RealaleRealale Posts: 6,381
    Forum Member
    Blimey, I thought this thread had died a death weeks ago - good to see it resurrected and some cracking beers being mentioned.
    Do most people find that with real ale you have to drink it at the pub as it doesn't taste half as good from a can or bottle? The only can one I can really put up with is Bass.
  • Options
    RealaleRealale Posts: 6,381
    Forum Member
    Another vote for dimple mugs here as well!
  • Options
    fat jezfat jez Posts: 144
    Forum Member
    Sarah Hughes Dark Ruby Mild is lovely, but rare (only find it at beer festivals). Dark Island is another nice one from the Orkney Brewery is lovely too.

Cheers,
    Stephen
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fan of Real Ale here. :)

My favourites include Timothy Taylor and Theakstons.

Currently enjoying 'Jarrow Bitter' at my local. :)
  • Options
    kibblerokkibblerok Posts: 1,878
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just tried Badger pumpkin ale... oh my this is one of their best.

Does anyone know where this can be bought in bulk? Sainsburys seems pricey at 1.69 a bottle if drunk regularly... seems to be excluded from their current badger multibuy
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 28
    Forum Member
    Give me a nice pint of Fuller's any day... 1845, ESB, even Golden Pride or Vintage Ale (although not too much at 8.5% abv). Failing that, Theakston's Old Peculier or Wychwood's Hobgoblin.
  • Options
    RevengaRevenga Posts: 11,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Adnams is brewed down the road from my home town ... draught Adnams from a good country pub is the best drink in the would. Mmmmmm.