SONYSTRDH520 . Help with Optical from Sky+HD

ocoxocox Posts: 2,581
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hello, can anyone help please.

I have just purchased a SONYSTRDH520 and it is fantastic watching Blue Ray through the amp on to my 60” LG Plasma, but I have a problem regarding my Sky+ HD. I am attempting to run the sound from the Sky box through the Sony using an Optical cable. So far I have had no luck, I’ve also tried running the sound through on analogue, but again no luck. I cannot get any sound to come through the amp from my Sky box.

I know what the best solution would be, that is to run an HDMI cable from the Sky+ box through the amp. Alas there is the wife factor:mad:, because her having to turn on the amp as well as the Sky+ and the TV is just too much for her. I’ve had to leave the old DVD player connected to the TV as she cannot handle the Blue Ray player (and that was even before I got the Sony amp:mad:).

Comments

• Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,330
    Forum Member
    There's no 5.1 via HDMI from a Sky box (apart from the latest models with the latest software), but an optical lead from the Sky box to the amp should be fine, you just need to select the correct input on the amp, and make sure it's configured for optical. If you can't get any audio via analogue, again you have the amp set/configured wrongly.
  • Chris FrostChris Frost Posts: 11,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    User manual > Advanced operations > Switching between digital and analog audio (INPUT MODE)

see also:

User manual > Advanced operations > Using the sound/images from other inputs

...both these on the same page in the version of the manual that I'm looking at.
  • ocoxocox Posts: 2,581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    User manual > Advanced operations > Switching between digital and analog audio (INPUT MODE)

see also:

User manual > Advanced operations > Using the sound/images from other inputs

...both these on the same page in the version of the manual that I'm looking at.

Thanks for the reply.

I've tried doing all thats in the manual but have still not had any luck.
  • Chris FrostChris Frost Posts: 11,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, all I can say is that it does work. You might want to recheck your understanding of the manual or of the input you are selecting.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went through the manual again this time with my son-in-law, and again no luck. I then decided to run the HDMI lead from the Sky box in to the amp and use the amp to the TV. Well, got a fantastic picture, but no sound. The Sky box is an Amstrad and I have had it for about four years. I assume that there is a compatibility problem between the Sky and the amp. If so I will have to wait until I upgrade the Sky box.

Thank you all for your help.
  • Deacon1972Deacon1972 Posts: 8,171
    Forum Member
    One check you can make is to see if the optical is live on the Sky box is to have a look at the end of the cable (the end that would connect to the amp) you should see it glow red, if it does then there is no reason why you shouldn't get any audio and therefore would point to an amp setting.

You should also check your Sky box audio setting, though you should still get audio whether DD is selected or not.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deacon1972 wrote: »
    One check you can make is to see if the optical is live on the Sky box is to have a look at the end of the cable (the end that would connect to the amp) you should see it glow red, if it does then there is no reason why you shouldn't get any audio and therefore would point to an amp setting.

You should also check your Sky box audio setting, though you should still get audio whether DD is selected or not.

Hi Deacon, I am getting a red glow and I did check the Sky box settings, but I will have another look incase I have missed something.

I must admit to finding this all a bit odd.
  • Deacon1972Deacon1972 Posts: 8,171
    Forum Member
    ocox wrote: »
    Hi Deacon, I am getting a red glow and I did check the Sky box settings, but I will have another look incase I have missed something.

I must admit to finding this all a bit odd.

By rights you should get audio from the Sky box, certainly looks like an amp setup issue to me. Sometimes they can be tricky to configure, especially when you are using HDMI and optical for the same device.

Some amps default to HDMI and ignore all other digital inputs like optical, I know some Sony amps were guilty of doing this in the past, no idea if the 520 does this, to test it out you could try setting the amp up for optical without HDMI connected or set it up just using HDMI. Other than this you should get audio, just make sure you are selecting the correct source (the one you have set optical too eg. SAT or DBS) on the amp when you want Sky audio.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deacon1972 wrote: »
    By rights you should get audio from the Sky box, certainly looks like an amp setup issue to me. Sometimes they can be tricky to configure, especially when you are using HDMI and optical for the same device.

Some amps default to HDMI and ignore all other digital inputs like optical, I know some Sony amps were guilty of doing this in the past, no idea if the 520 does this, to test it out you could try setting the amp up for optical without HDMI connected or set it up just using HDMI. Other than this you should get audio, just make sure you are selecting the correct source (the one you have set optical too eg. SAT or DBS) on the amp when you want Sky audio.

I have tried all of the above and still no luck. I must being doing somthing wrong. Going to get a friend who is a bit more Tech savy than I am, to have a look as soon as he gets back from holiday.

In the meantime, I realy am enjoying wathing and hearing films through the amp (7.1 is awsome).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Success at last.
    I purchased a new Sky+ HD (2TB) box as the old one was on its way out. I was hoping that my sound problems would then be sorted, how wrong was I. I hooked it all up and still no sound from the Sky box through the amp, then two Sundays ago, I thought I would have another bash at sorting out the sound. After a while I thought I’d cracked it. Sound from the Sky box lovely. As I had been watching a recording of NASCAR, I thought what a perfect way to test out the sound, but no, nothing could be that easy. What I was getting now was sound from the Sky box, if it was a live feed, but no sound from anything recorded. After a lot of cursing I decided to get out the manual. I found something that I had missed on all my previous attempts, a function on the remote that was the key. And what a happy bunny I was, until Sunday gone when I fancied watching a Bluray. Could I get any sound thought the amp? I couldn’t even get a picture never mind sound. I thought “here we go again”, but after twenty minutes of getting very hot and bothered plus many profanities, I got it all working. It seems that a finally got there more by accident the by design.:):):)