Options

Talking Pictures coming to Freeview

larochellelarochelle Posts: 147
Forum Member
Just had an email from the people behind the vintage tv / movie channel Talking Pictures.

Hoping you are all well. Some great news; we are delighted to announce that Talking
Pictures TV is coming to Freeview! We hope to launch on Freeview around September

15th,
again we haven’t been told our channel number yet but I think it will be in the
70’s. We will be launching as an SD channel on Freeview but through the HD service.
If you want to check if you will be able to watch us on freeview in your area click this link and enter your postcode: http://www.freeview.co.uk/availability

If you can see Motors TV in the Entertainment Genre or BBC4 HD in the HD genre then
you will be able to view Talking Pictures (if you have an HD receiver).

For those of you without Sky this is great news, a world of nostalgia and vintage
cinema awaits you with Talking Pictures TV which broadcasts 24 hour hours a day 7
days a week.

Comments

• Options
    steveboswellsteveboswell Posts: 1,431
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    larochelle wrote: »
    Just had an email from the people behind the vintage tv / movie channel Talking Pictures.

We will be launching as an SD channel on Freeview but through the HD service. If you can see Motors TV in the Entertainment Genre or BBC4 HD in the HD genre then you will be able to view Talking Pictures (if you have an HD receiver).

Thanks for sharing. So, it looks like it's Talking Pictures that will be sharing with Viva, as there's not really enough room to squeeze another full-time stream in on COM7. That said, isn't Talking Pictures exclusively black and white films?
  • Options
    teeveeteevee Posts: 414
    Forum Member
    Hope this helps, here's their website. http://talkingpicturestv.co.uk/
  • Options
    AngusMastAngusMast Posts: 5,153
    Forum Member
    Thanks for sharing. So, it looks like it's Talking Pictures that will be sharing with Viva, as there's not really enough room to squeeze another full-time stream in on COM7. That said, isn't Talking Pictures exclusively black and white films?

Another channel could be leaving. Top of the list would be Arise "News",
  • Options
    clewsyclewsy Posts: 4,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bet they can squeeze a few more in yet. Just cut the HD rates back will be the policy if not.

How long until vintage tv goes HD only on Freeview do we think?
  • Options
    ally8971ally8971 Posts: 421
    Forum Member
    clewsy wrote: »

That would be pointless like having Gold in HD as all the content they show is pre HD
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think you misunderstand me as I mean com 7/8 on Freeview , which is SD via Freeview's so called HD

Basically a Motors TV. Look at those stats I did on how viewing figures increased for Motors just on this limited Freeview.
  • Options
    SexbombSexbomb Posts: 20,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    clewsy wrote: »
    I bet they can squeeze a few more in yet. Just cut the HD rates back will be the policy if not.

Pointless having HD if they keep chopping bitrates off *rolleyes*

Yes i'd like to see Vintage tv as a proper channel on freeview and not streamed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We know this ..but the broadcast companies focus on "it will do" policy when it comes to transmission.
  • Options
    Mr SirsMr Sirs Posts: 4,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For me, it's great news - I love old films and although they are not blockbusters and/or highly rated I am looking forward to some little gems in there, and some classic series too. Excellent!
  • Options
    Skylover4lifeSkylover4life Posts: 1,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mother will be pleased!
  • Options
    AKWAKW Posts: 1,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    larochelle wrote: »

Hoping you are all well. Some great news; we are delighted to announce that Talking
    Pictures TV is coming to Freeview! We hope to launch on Freeview around September

15th,
    again we haven’t been told our channel number yet but I think it will be in the
    70’s. We will be launching as an SD channel on Freeview but through the HD service.
    If you want to check if you will be able to watch us on freeview in your area click this link and enter your postcode: http://www.freeview.co.uk/availability

If you can see Motors TV in the Entertainment Genre or BBC4 HD in the HD genre then
    you will be able to view Talking Pictures (if you have an HD receiver).

For those of you without Sky this is great news, a world of nostalgia and vintage
    cinema awaits you with Talking Pictures TV which broadcasts 24 hour hours a day 7
    days a week.

Its a channel I would like but no COM 7 here in Devon sadly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well if I was them I would get a placeholder up today or tomorrow morning at the latest.
  • Options
    EEPhilEEPhil Posts: 437
    Forum Member
    TPTV Launches on a New TV Platform in September

For those of you without Sky TV this is great news, a world of nostalgia and vintagecinema awaits you with Talking Pictures TV which broadcasts 24 hour hours a day 7 days a week.

We can't tell you which TV platform it is yet.....so You'll have to guess (and be patient, we will tell you very soon)
    I just received the above (sent 28/8/15) - which seems to backtrack from the original email quoted above.
    Will this channel actually launch on Freeview? Or will it turn out to be one of those IPTV channels?
  • Options
    AngusMastAngusMast Posts: 5,153
    Forum Member
    "For those of you without Sky TV" - poor deprived people :confused:
  • Options
    chrisychrisy Posts: 9,421
    Forum Member
    EEPhil wrote: »
    I just received the above (sent 28/8/15) - which seems to backtrack from the original email quoted above.
    Will this channel actually launch on Freeview? Or will it turn out to be one of those IPTV channels?

I'm not sure what I should say... but, the original announcement probably shouldn't have been sent out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe vintage will go com7 at the same time as well?
  • Options
    epsilonepsilon Posts: 4,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisy wrote: »
    I'm not sure what I should say... but, the original announcement probably shouldn't have been sent out.

It's never easy to get the cat back into the bag...
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,432
    Forum Member

No, because they also show some series and dramas from the 1970s and 1980s etc. that were filmed in colour. This channel has been on satellite for some months now so I know what the content's like.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    epsilon wrote: »
    It's never easy to get the cat back into the bag...

This is why you should always store your cats in boxes.
  • Options
    David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No com7 or 8 here (and never will be), so don't see how this is good news at all. It's just a non event for us.
  • Options
    RichardcoulterRichardcoulter Posts: 30,479
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, the 15th is here. Has this channel launched or is it testing on Freeview?
  • Options
    a516a516 Posts: 5,241
    Forum Member
    Well, the 15th is here. Has this channel launched or is it testing on Freeview?
    The channel has only just received its licence to broadcast terrestrially - added to the Ofcom database this morning. If the channel had launched it would be listed in the Changelog.
  • Options
    EEPhilEEPhil Posts: 437
    Forum Member
    a516 wrote: »
    The channel has only just received its licence to broadcast terrestrially - added to the Ofcom database this morning. If the channel had launched it would be listed in the Changelog.

Then they shouldn't have sent out the email quoted in post #1. Which is probably why they sent out the more cryptic email a week later. Since then, it has been very quiet.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    EEPhil wrote: »
    Then they shouldn't have sent out the email quoted in post #1.

That should never have been sent out anyway, as their launch date was not confirmed at that time (and tmk still isn't).
  • Options
    peter_sharp1ukpeter_sharp1uk Posts: 1,674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its Launching at 1pm on the 22nd of September on channel 81 according to its website.