Options

BBC Local Radio roll-out on Freeview

Comments

• Options
    westonewestone Posts: 173
    Forum Member
    I have had this reply which seems sensible.
    The BBC local stations that are based at the local TV hub are going live first. BBC Cornwall will go live as soon as the online feed is upgraded to stereo. Redruth will then switch to Cornwall and Caradon Hill take both.
  • Options
    jimbojimbo Posts: 16,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    westone wrote: »
    The BBC local stations that are based at the local TV hub are going live first. BBC Cornwall will go live as soon as the online feed is upgraded to stereo. Redruth will then switch to Cornwall and Caradon Hill take both.

What is your sorce for this info? I wondered if there was a DIRECT link between the webstreams in stereo and Freeview feeds - that proves it if true.

Do you know of a timeline for the upgrading of the other stations?

Thanks
  • Options
    westonewestone Posts: 173
    Forum Member
    jimbo wrote: »
    What is your sorce for this info? I wondered if there was a DIRECT link between the webstreams in stereo and Freeview feeds - that proves it if true.

Do you know of a timeline for the upgrading of the other stations?

Thanks

Hi Jimbo. My source was confidential at Radio Today. Although I asked, for a timelscale it was not forthcoming. if I receive further information then I will post it here. My interest was with Redruth as that transmitter has no overlap with Devon whatsoever.
  • Options
    GreeboGreebo Posts: 1,418
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    westone wrote: »

Interesting and confusing! http://www.radiofeeds.co.uk/query.asp?feedme=bbc does seem to backup the suggestion that the feeds that are now in stereo match fairly well with those on BBCA. Clearly stereo itself isn't the issue, since the feed ends up in mono on DTT, but it may well show that some delivery method is being changed/upgraded first - no point connecting up an old feed that is about to be ceased.

I'm a bit confused about the Redruth/Caradon Hill suggestion. Don't they both get supplied exactly the same BBCA mux? I would expect when BBC Cornwall is ready it will go out over the whole SW footprint, the same as BBC Devon that has just appeared. Splitting the two will have big costs in terms of coding and mux equipment. Or am I wrong, and BBCA is different from Redruth & CH?
  • Options
    Mark CMark C Posts: 20,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Greebo wrote: »
    I'm a bit confused about the Redruth/Caradon Hill suggestion. Don't they both get supplied exactly the same BBCA mux? I would expect when BBC Cornwall is ready it will go out over the whole SW footprint, the same as BBC Devon that has just appeared. Splitting the two will have big costs in terms of coding and mux equipment. Or am I wrong, and BBCA is different from Redruth & CH?

No , it's exactly the same. I suspect someone at Radio Today has either got their wires crossed, or doesn't understand the technicalities.

I can't believe they would go to the expense of a dedicated set of code/mux kit just for Redruth to exclusively carry Cornwall.
  • Options
    Stephen93Stephen93 Posts: 1,082
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No Radio Derby?
    we've just gone DAB in the last 6 months, get the signal from the Waltham transmitter.

Just done a retune, Radio Nottingham now on Freeview, but no Radio Derby
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stephen93 wrote: »
    No Radio Derby?

Have you actually read Post 1 in this thread ;-)
  • Options
    Stephen93Stephen93 Posts: 1,082
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark C wrote: »
    Have you actually read Post 1 in this thread ;-)

Yes read it, see what you mean, we get BBC East Midlands today on channel 1, as its broadcast from Nottm we won't see BBC Radio Derby on Freeview, only BBC Radio Nottm, I think!
  • Options
    Robert WilliamsRobert Williams Posts: 2,213
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stephen93 wrote: »
    Yes read it, see what you mean, we get BBC East Midlands today on channel 1, as its broadcast from Nottm we won't see BBC Radio Derby on Freeview, only BBC Radio Nottm, I think!
    According to the head of BBC East Midlands here: https://twitter.com/stuartthomas/status/572769272033906689, Radio Nottingham will be joined by Radios Derby and Leicester later in the year.
  • Options
    a516a516 Posts: 5,241
    Forum Member
    According to the head of BBC East Midlands here: https://twitter.com/stuartthomas/status/572769272033906689, Radio Nottingham will be joined by Radios Derby and Leicester later in the year.
    And BBC Reception Advice has this evening added:
    We plan to launch more Local Radio stations on Freeview over the course of 2015, however we have to complete more technical work before this is possible. We thought it better to launch the stations we’re able to now rather than waiting until other stations are available.
  • Options
    BizmanBizman Posts: 749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Clearly we are going to have a bunch of these services detected across the country. Can I suggest we hang fire a bit on the changelog thread and later on let somebody who has tracked it all (any volunteers?) do a single changelog post covering as much as possible?
    A good suggestion, but sadly being ignored.
  • Options
    soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bizman wrote: »
    A good suggestion, but sadly being ignored.
    The Changelog is for logging changes as they are discovered by posters. I would suggest a summary of changes is more appropriate to this thread.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    soulboy77 wrote: »
    The Changelog is for logging changes as they are discovered by posters. I would suggest a summary of changes is more appropriate to this thread.

It was only a suggestion to prevent a whole load of almost identical entries when we all knew these services were switched on all together. Clearly people were keen to post with real changes which is a good thing, better than the pre announcement stuff we've seen a bit recently. Shame people have got out of the habit of linking to discussion threads in order to leave a big hint that the changelog isn't for discussion itself, and someone has fallen into that trap this morning. I did my bit for a while trying to keep it under control, I'm leaving it to others at the moment.
  • Options
    satman17satman17 Posts: 2,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So I'm sitting here in Ipswich and receiving BBC Norfolk and BBC Cambridgeshire! WHAT THE FCCK ?
  • Options
    BizmanBizman Posts: 749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    satman17 wrote: »
    So I'm sitting here in Ipswich and receiving BBC Norfolk and BBC Cambridgeshire!
    Lucky you, you get choice. I live near Taunton and only get Radio Bristol which is about 50 miles from here.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    satman17 wrote: »
    So I'm sitting here in Ipswich and receiving BBC Norfolk and BBC Cambridgeshire! WHAT THE FCCK ?

If you'd read the thread from the start, you'd know why
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anybody know which channel group number to search to find Radio Cambridgeshire? There's no sign of it on either Waltham or Belmont, so I thought I'd try my luck with Sandy Heath, even if it's probably a futile quest. I can't find it listed there either, but it must be somewhere.

Don't say 722 because my Toshiba Regza can't search for that, only the channel groups, which I think begin at 28.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    barbeler wrote: »
    Does anybody know which channel group number to search to find Radio Cambridgeshire? There's no sign of it on either Waltham or Belmont, so I thought I'd try my luck with Sandy Heath, even if it's probably a futile quest. I can't find it listed there either, but it must be somewhere.

a516 has a list of which local station is on which tx here: http://www.a516digital.com/p/bbc-local-radio-on-freeview.html - you're out of luck with Waltham and Belmont for now.

For Sandy Heath, pop your postcode into http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/coveragechecker/ remember to tick the "detailed view" box and you'll get a list of the muxes from each possible transmitter and relay for your location, including marginal ones. Local radio is on the BBCA mux.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks, but that simply says channel 722. I can't search for that, only one of the groups for each transmitter, containing about 30 channels on average. I can't find any up-to-date transmitter information that has Radio Cambs in its listings.

For instance, if you look up the Sandy Heath page it lists the channels available on C27 (522.0MHz). That's the kind of number my television searches on and has to pick up everything in that group. I'm not able to cherry pick individual channels.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Same as the internet feed I'd expect, prerecorded loop. Hopefully not needed, will have to remember to listen tomorrow night.

Confirmed - tonight's football is indeed being broadcast on BBC Manchester 719 as expected. Good news for the more distant football fans in the NW who'll now get commentaries they couldn't online.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks, but that simply says channel 722. I can't search for that, only one of the groups for each transmitter, containing about 30 channels on average. I can't find any up-to-date transmitter information that has Radio Cambs in its listings.

For instance, if you look up the Sandy Heath page it lists the channels available on C27 (522.0MHz). That's the kind of number my television searches on and has to pick up everything in that group. I'm not able to cherry pick individual channels.

Do a manual scan on UHF Ch 27, and you should find the station at EPG position 722, (in the radio section of the EPG)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark C wrote: »
    Do a manual scan on UHF Ch 27, and you should find the station at EPG position 722, (in the radio section of the EPG)
    I've found that I get no signal at all on Channel 27, so it seems I'm out of luck. I should be able to in theory if I turned the aerial round to face Sandy Heath, but I think the signal would be inferior to the alternatives.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've found that I get no signal at all on Channel 27, so it seems I'm out of luck. I should be able to in theory if I turned the aerial round to face Sandy Heath, but I think the signal would be inferior to the alternatives.

Radio Cambs is not available on either Waltham or Belmont.

The only BBC LR Waltham carries at present is Radio Nottingham, and Belmont carries no LR service. If you want Cambs you need to receive from Sandy Heath, if you can't receive Sandy, that's it, end of story.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    radio solent is now on 719 as of this morning, here via rowridge
  • Options
    davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Confirmed - tonight's football is indeed being broadcast on BBC Manchester 719 as expected. Good news for the more distant football fans in the NW who'll now get commentaries they couldn't online.

That's good, did anyone listen to the Radio Leeds version last night to confirm if the Leeds Utd game was on.