Options

The Leona Lewis Appreciation Thread (Part 32)

Comments

• Options
    d56d56 Posts: 5,471
    Forum Member
    Most people outside the UK don't know Leona anymore, so it is very important to introduce her again with her amazing voice.
    And people "only" think she is a great singer, but they don't put her into one league with Mariah, Whitney, Celine,.....
    That's why she needs another Run or Bleeding Love.

Thats not true, so many people I speak to in America and Canada are aware of Leona. Just because she isn't as famous as Gaga or Rihanna oversea's, doesn't mean she isn't known
  • Options
    IluzionistaIluzionista Posts: 5,406
    Forum Member
    Run #223 on UK itunes (was 404 last time I checked - tonight)
    Collide #542 & #892

:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 408
    Forum Member
    d56 wrote: »
    Thats not true, so many people I speak to in America and Canada are aware of Leona. Just because she isn't as famous as Gaga or Rihanna oversea's, doesn't mean she isn't known

I actually think s/he is spot on. I'm from the US and my friends that do know who she is think she's a great singer (but they wouldn't buy her music or consider her to be at the Mariah/Whitney level). I prefer Leona to both. She needs another big vocal showcase.

No one can sing Bleeding Love like her. She needs something like that. Happy is AMAZING (and my favorite song by her), but they need something that is somewhat repetitive like keep bleeding keep keep bleeding to make it a radio hit (of course Happy was unlucky in its time with Lady Gaga just having shifted radio). I really think Outta My Head could have been a hit in the US at that time. But Adele has just shifted it again, I think. They'll be ready for traditional Leona.
  • Options
    LeonagwenLeonagwen Posts: 2,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually think s/he is spot on. I'm from the US and my friends that do know who she is think she's a great singer (but they wouldn't buy her music or consider her to be at the Mariah/Whitney level). I prefer Leona to both. She needs another big vocal showcase.

No one can sing Bleeding Love like her. She needs something like that. Happy is AMAZING (and my favorite song by her), but they need something that is somewhat repetitive like keep bleeding keep keep bleeding to make it a radio hit (of course Happy was unlucky in its time with Lady Gaga just having shifted radio). I really think Outta My Head could have been a hit in the US at that time. But Adele has just shifted it again, I think. They'll be ready for traditional Leona.
    Im from the usa too, I totally agree with you .Adeles success can only benefit leona.Bleeding love and better in time still get good airplay on AC stations.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think that Lovebirds is something like Better In Time meets I Got You.It'd be great for the 2nd single.For the first single we need something fresh, unique something that grap your attention immediately like Bleeding Love did. And than Leona could release for example Lovebirds (Better In Time part II in term of chart success for me) ;)

I was thinking the exact same thing. I consider "Lovebirds" to be carrying the torch that "Better in Time" passed on to "I Got You". They have similar chorus structures. I had to think a lot about "Glassheart," at first just because it was upbeat, I considered it a continuation of the "Forgive Me" and "Outta My Head" line, but when I put the dance production aside, I realised that the melody has a similar structure to "Bleeding Love" and "Happy". The 'baby if you love me just let me know' is reminiscent of 'you cut me open and I...', which is why even though I agree with the whole oversaturation of dance music thing, and the fact that many people probably don't want to see Leona do dance music, it could be a huge hit. There's something extremely addicting about it, so that even people like me who prefer ballads can like it. And the major thing that it has, which "Collide" didn't for me, is killer lyrics. Almost all of Leona's songs make me feel some sort of new emotion or perspective on life that I haven't before, and this is something that "Glassheart" definitely has. And lyrics are surprisingly important, especially when people hear a song on the radio and listen to the lyrics so they can try to look up the song later, by doing that they realise how epic the song is :D.

Also, please don't interpret this as me saying "Glassheart" and "Lovebirds" are carbon copies of previous songs, they're not, and people who don't pay as close attention to her songs as we do wouldn't even think about them being similar at all to previous songs. It's just that most artists have a certain formula/strategy that they go by, which helps to define their sound as an artist, and I think Leona has been doing this well without having all of her songs sound the same like many other artists.
  • Options
    soulmusicsoulmusic Posts: 2,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Run may be creeping up the charts due to the titanic commemoration programme on BBC2 last night. It was very moving. Some good readings & music, but very sad, especially when the closing song was Run, Leona style, sung by Mica Paris (Leona would have been better, it was her version of this Snow Patrol song). Mica was very flat. The programme was beautifully staged, shame they didn't have Leona sing it.

Just thinking, radio support is essential. It is the only way that people get to hear when music is released. Especially when you consider that songs played on The Voice etc usually shoots up the charts, probably because half the viewers have never heard them before. It is a shame that radio has so much control over playlists and play the same drivel over & over. Olly Murs & Pixie, for example is everywhere like a rash, he is a lovely cheeky guy but I do find his music mediocre. Yet talent like Leona & Alex and loads of others get missed.

Just have to be hopeful for this Glassheart era.
  • Options
    lewisfrylewisfry Posts: 529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm watching '50 biggest power ballads of the noughties' and run is at 6 with 620,000 copies sold... And it's beaten chasing cars by snow patrol which was at 7 and so it looks like leona might have 2 entry's with bleeding love as well:) and a moment like this might have been but I missed it..
  • Options
    lewisfrylewisfry Posts: 529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bleeding love was no.3 ... But they got the figure wrong, they said it was 980,000 web everyone knows it sold 1.1 million in the country:)
  • Options
    Gobstopper13Gobstopper13 Posts: 779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm really hoping that the current silence from Leona (twitter, instagram, facebook) means that something big is coming and not that she is deep in the creative process in the god forsaken STUDIO.

I'm getting Leona withdrawal.

Having a browse on twitter, I have a few observations.

Some people are absolute idiots (grand national jokes)
    There is an awful lot of "what's happened to Leona", more than I've ever seen before.
    There is still an awful lot of people talking about Leona, #np-ing her music.

Come on Leona, where are you!?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm really hoping that the current silence from Leona (twitter, instagram, facebook) means that something big is coming and not that she is deep in the creative process in the god forsaken STUDIO.

I'm getting Leona withdrawal.

Having a browse on twitter, I have a few observations.

Some people are absolute idiots (grand national jokes)
    There is an awful lot of "what's happened to Leona", more than I've ever seen before.
    There is still an awful lot of people talking about Leona, #np-ing her music.

Come on Leona, where are you!?
    What do you expect the album aint coming out for 7 more months! The rumored next single is just a rumor nothing confirmed yet for june.
  • Options
    fodg09fodg09 Posts: 3,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would love Leona do a couple more outdoor shows this Summer in addition to the Hackney gig, would be great just to begin re-engaging with her UK fan base. Even just doing T4 On The Beach or the Capital FM Summer Concert, just to make her presence felt and contribute to building up hype for the album later in the year.

It's about time a wider audience became aware of how improved she is as a performer.
  • Options
    SoeplepelSoeplepel Posts: 24,982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Leonagwen wrote: »
    What do you expect the album aint coming out for 7 more months! The rumored next single is just a rumor nothing confirmed yet for june.

november release aint confirmed either
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Soeplepel wrote: »
    november release aint confirmed either

According to amazon it is.
  • Options
    SoeplepelSoeplepel Posts: 24,982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Leonagwen wrote: »
    According to amazon it is.

according to couple of articles new single is confirmed too.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think even though Leona is silent now on twitter and all the other sites, we should feel lucky she even has one. Recently, two artists that I like, Keyshia Cole (you guys in the UK may not know her) and Nicki Minaj, both deleted their twitter accounts. I think her silence is just a sign that she is working hard hopefully, and that when she does come back to using the sites, then it'll be worth it.
  • Options
    Austin HeistandAustin Heistand Posts: 256
    Forum Member
    Hey guys just checking up on the thread I'm from the US and just thought I'd let you guys know in the past 3 days I heard bleeding love twice at different places! I was so happy to hear them STILL playing her music!!
  • Options
    fallendancerfallendancer Posts: 6,246
    Forum Member
    Haha Leona posted this pics few hours ago. Made me laugh.
    Under the table is the place to be
    http://instagr.am/p/JdQp8cu2yH/

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m2k9h90qPj1rplmyjo1_500.jpg
  • Options
    ariella52ariella52 Posts: 7,519
    Forum Member
    I think even though Leona is silent now on twitter and all the other sites, we should feel lucky she even has one. Recently, two artists that I like, Keyshia Cole (you guys in the UK may not know her) and Nicki Minaj, both deleted their twitter accounts. I think her silence is just a sign that she is working hard hopefully, and that when she does come back to using the sites, then it'll be worth it.

Working very hard. :D
    Under the table is the place to be http://t.co/EBCJeRLP

I wouldn't be surprised if she has finished recording anyway. She did tweet about finishing touches and that is likely to be true of the music side. It's now a matter of what the label decides to do, I think.

Whatever the plan, it looks as if she is in the UK for a while as she's brought her dogs over with her.
  • Options
    Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    I don't think even her record company know when to release the album to be honest. If I were a betting man I'd say it will be November with a single shortly before and an X-Factor slot, because Cowell is always predictable.

I agree with the comment above, Leona should be booked to perform at as many of the UK summer shows as they can get her on and performing a new single. But that just doesn't seem to be the way they handle Leona, it's almost as if that sort of thing is beneath her. I don't think she's booked to perform at the Queen's concert outside Buckingham palace. I also doubt she'll be involved with anything to do with the Olympics officially.

Pixie Lott was all over the press last summer and it did get her a No1 single with a very average song, For Collide all we really got was 1 performance on that god awful Cowell show and that was it. Radio never really played it much.

Leona really has to be seen more performing this summer even if they hold back the album to later in the year. They can't just follow the same old plan again.

I don't know what they will do for the USA, probably just stick her on a couple of the big TV shows, I can't see her doing radio.

You have to hand it to acts like Pixie Lott, Alexandra, JLS etc, they really do put the work in on shows etc.
  • Options
    Eliott1301Eliott1301 Posts: 2,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    still annoys me to HELL that leona has not said SORRY for the delay when we are buying her music.. and the fact that she said finishing touches months and months ago.. but has not said anything since.. its like.. seriously... the amount of tweets that people ask her..

A person asked her and she said its coming soon..

I just DONT get it... WHY lie to us?! whats the point :S lying makes everything so much worse

I love her ofc and going to support her and her music.. i just dont understand why lie to your fans who make you a sucess
  • Options
    NarutoFan100NarutoFan100 Posts: 4,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What other songs from Glassheart are on youtube?

I love Lovebirds! Could be a massive hit I believe!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 408
    Forum Member
    Eliott1301 wrote: »
    still annoys me to HELL that leona has not said SORRY for the delay when we are buying her music.. and the fact that she said finishing touches months and months ago.. but has not said anything since.. its like.. seriously... the amount of tweets that people ask her..

I just DONT get it... WHY lie to us?! whats the point :S lying makes everything so much worse

I love her ofc and going to support her and her music.. i just dont understand why lie to your fans who make you a sucess

I agree.
  • Options
    Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    Eliott1301 wrote: »

Leona's not lying about anything, she probably is still faffing around with her album and she'll do that until the record label signs off on it.

I doubt for this album if Leona will have much say in what happens, the impression I get is Clive Davis will be making the decisions this time around. I don't know if that is the case if that's good or bad.

I wouldn't even bother to follow Leona on Twitter she's never going to say anything of interest on it, you'll read it on this forum first.

I just think if they go down the same route of the predicted system of single and album release without any hard promo she'll be back in the same mess she was with Echo.
  • Options
    Carly_ThompsonCarly_Thompson Posts: 2,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Leona doesn't have that hype anymore, because you only really get that when you're debut is being launched. So I agree she needs to build up her own hype. Performing at lots of upcoming summer events, even doing smaller gigs too. She pretty much has to re-launch herself again but this time she doesn't have the advantage of the hype. I know she showed she was still around last year but Collide and Hurt did her more harm than good in my opinion because it was just two more things for people to say she'd "flopped on".
This discussion has been closed.