Geri's still alive?
  • Options
    BlurayBluray Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CLL Dodge wrote: »
    Geri's still alive?

Unfortunately.
    She's pops up every now and then when there's something she can latch on to.

Has she had a "Piers Morgan" programme? She's a prime candidate for that garbage. That show's always "Me Me Me"
  • Options
    Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    I thought Shampoo were the first ladies of Girl Power (they sang about it before the Spice Girls came along):D

How about Fanny, or The Slits?
  • Options
    WhisperingGhostWhisperingGhost Posts: 4,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bluray wrote: »
    Unfortunately.
    She's pops up every now and then when there's something she can latch on to.

Has she had a "Piers Morgan" programme? She's a prime candidate for that garbage. That show's always "Me Me Me"

A celebrity being narcissistic? Whatever next? :rolleyes:
  • Options
    BlurayBluray Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A celebrity being narcissistic? Whatever next? :rolleyes:

The are levels of narcissism though. I believe Geri has successfully completed them all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bluray wrote: »
    The are levels of narcissism though. I believe Geri has successfully completed them all.

She is self aware enough to admit her narcissism. It's a character trait she said she's trying to let go of. She seems very harmless to me, when compared to the type of celebrity we have today (reality shows, people having sex on tv, big brother etc) so I don't get the hate for her on here. But then I'm a fan, so I'm biased.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree^
    & also if anyone received the c word on Twitter & death threats then maybe they would remove the comment. Some people when they don't like a celeb they are so quick to bash them & she has always had nice things to say about Thatcher so...
  • Options
    Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,391
    Forum Member
    Thatcher definitely espoused girl power

Unless you were a black girl in South Africa.....the wife of a miner.....a female opponent of Pinochet.....
  • Options
    gpkgpk Posts: 10,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    geri`s taken to her blog in a rambling attempt to set the record straight about the tweet and her reasons for removing the tweet. she has always struck me as a deeply needy person, but very self critical at the same time. she`s a complex character with a naive perspective at times, but i still believe her heart was in the right place when she sent that tweet. here`s the ramble in full.:D

"When I’m scared, my natural state is to hide and run for cover.

I was 7 years old when my father told me about the greengrocer’s daughter who had become the first female Prime Minister in our history. I was enchanted by this… my father who was always hiding behind the broadsheets spoke about her my whole childhood.

Fast forward to 1996… It was widely covered in the media, when I casually mentioned that I admired Margaret Thatcher in an interview for a political magazine.

Monday 8th April 2013 – Margaret Thatcher had died… I felt compelled to tweet my thoughts for a female leader, in a world governed by men.

I was so confused and overwhelmed by some of the feedback I received that I took my tweet down and for that I was called spineless.

I questioned myself? Did I really mean what I said?
    Can I stand tall? Do I even know what I was talking about?

I realised the best thing to do was to shut up and really get honest with myself. What I hated the most was that I took a tweet down. I had wavered and was full of self-doubt.

I so I asked myself over the last 3 days – why I did I do it? Why did I take that tweet down?

These are my conclusions…

I. I was so afraid of upsetting people, and not being liked for saying something that was not to everyone’s taste.

2. Also, I suddenly thought given the adverse reaction, did I even really know enough about Margaret Thatcher? Was I just trying to be relevant? She had obviously upset a lot of people.

3. But now I realise that I do admire a woman, whether she is right or wrong, regardless of her opinions. She had the courage to stand by her convictions. Not like me. I look at my behavior, which exposed how weak I was under fire, not like Margaret Thatcher. Rest in peace.

Much love Geri xxx"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do love Geri & believe her heart was in the right place. I'm not saying
    shes the nicest or most talented celeb we have but still i've been a life
    long fan & some of the nasty things that get said about her are unfair
    imo.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do love Geri & believe her heart was in the right place. I'm not saying
    shes the nicest or most talented celeb we have but still i've been a life
    long fan & some of the nasty things that get said about her are unfair
    imo.

Completely agree :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    gpk wrote: »
    geri`s taken to her blog in a rambling attempt to set the record straight about the tweet and her reasons for removing the tweet. she has always struck me as a deeply needy person, but very self critical at the same time. she`s a complex character with a naive perspective at times, but i still believe her heart was in the right place when she sent that tweet. here`s the ramble in full.:D

"When I’m scared, my natural state is to hide and run for cover.

I was 7 years old when my father told me about the greengrocer’s daughter who had become the first female Prime Minister in our history. I was enchanted by this… my father who was always hiding behind the broadsheets spoke about her my whole childhood.

Fast forward to 1996… It was widely covered in the media, when I casually mentioned that I admired Margaret Thatcher in an interview for a political magazine.

Monday 8th April 2013 – Margaret Thatcher had died… I felt compelled to tweet my thoughts for a female leader, in a world governed by men.

I was so confused and overwhelmed by some of the feedback I received that I took my tweet down and for that I was called spineless.

I questioned myself? Did I really mean what I said?
    Can I stand tall? Do I even know what I was talking about?

I realised the best thing to do was to shut up and really get honest with myself. What I hated the most was that I took a tweet down. I had wavered and was full of self-doubt.

I so I asked myself over the last 3 days – why I did I do it? Why did I take that tweet down?

These are my conclusions…

I. I was so afraid of upsetting people, and not being liked for saying something that was not to everyone’s taste.

2. Also, I suddenly thought given the adverse reaction, did I even really know enough about Margaret Thatcher? Was I just trying to be relevant? She had obviously upset a lot of people.

3. But now I realise that I do admire a woman, whether she is right or wrong, regardless of her opinions. She had the courage to stand by her convictions. Not like me. I look at my behavior, which exposed how weak I was under fire, not like Margaret Thatcher. Rest in peace.

Much love Geri xxx"

Everything she says always sounds like it's been plagiarised from a self-help book. I may not agree with what she said but I'd have more respect for her if she stuck by it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Everything she says always sounds like it's been plagiarised from a self-help book. I may not agree with what she said but I'd have more respect for her if she stuck by it.

She did. Didn't you read the blog entry above? :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Completely agree :)

Thank You :)
  • Options
    VeriVeri Posts: 96,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought Shampoo were the first ladies of Girl Power (they sang about it before the Spice Girls came along):D

Yes!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrk2qQ0J-5Q

Enjoy! :D

And (better) on TOTP:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ka4PBU_iA8
  • Options
    Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,391
    Forum Member
    I felt compelled to tweet my thoughts for a female leader, in a world governed by men.

Oh put a sock in it Geri.

The amount of women, especially muppets like Meryl Streep and Elizabeth Banks (neither of which had to live under Thatcher's government) blinded by gender who regard Thatcher as some great pioneer for females is just plain ridiculous. For them, merely being a female is enough to be a huge breakthrough, regardless of her actual policies and the consequences for the country.

It reminds me of this video from The Onion...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEtw3XJoJrE

There have also been plenty of female leaders that Geri doesn't give a bollocks about or probably hasn't heard of that preceded Thatcher, and that doesn't even include female heads of state

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_elected_or_appointed_female_heads_of_government
  • Options
    vauxhall1964vauxhall1964 Posts: 10,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    well done Geri..you have cemented your place in the 'why is it that only the naff celebs praise Thatcher' hall of fame...take your place alongside Jim Davidson, Andrew Lloyd Webber, Jeremy Clarkson, Terry Wogan, Joan Collins...

Naff 'said.
  • Options
    grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    Oh put a sock in it Geri.

The amount of women, especially muppets like Meryl Streep and Elizabeth Banks (neither of which had to live under Thatcher's government) blinded by gender who regard Thatcher as some great pioneer for females is just plain ridiculous. For them, merely being a female is enough to be a huge breakthrough, regardless of her actual policies and the consequences for the country.

It reminds me of this video from The Onion...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEtw3XJoJrE

There have also been plenty of female leaders that Geri doesn't give a bollocks about or probably hasn't heard of that preceded Thatcher, and that doesn't even include female heads of state

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_elected_or_appointed_female_heads_of_government

Isnt it true Thatcher didnt allow women in her cabinet? Becoming PM is a great achievement but if she hadnt been elected leader (I imagine by men), she wouldnt have had the chance - don't know she's viewed as a trailblazer for women just because she was our first woman PM, however historically important that is. As your link points out, there were female PMs/ presidents/heads of state even, before and after Thatcher.