Spiral III - Saturday evenings - BBC4 pace, no spoilers please

Comments

• VerenceVerence Posts: 104,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    In case you didn't know the Euro-Crime slot next week is filled by the other Inspector Montalbano episode BBC4 have the rights to.
  • allie4allie4 Posts: 11,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    In case you didn't know the Euro-Crime slot next week is filled by the other Inspector Montalbano episode BBC4 have the rights to.

Thanks, Verence. But surely this isn't the last week of Spiral?:eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,324
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    allie4 wrote: »
    Thanks, Verence. But surely this isn't the last week of Spiral?:eek:

The first and second series had 8 episodes so with the double bills I'm afraid this is it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The first and second series had 8 episodes so with the double bills I'm afraid this is it.
    :cry::cry::cry:
    I have them all on DVD but it's not the same!
    Presumably after Montalbano they'll show TK2?
  • the_lostprophetthe_lostprophet Posts: 4,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed this series more than series 3 - nice to see Laure before she went a bit loopy. Can't believe Josephine not clearing that guy's name at the end!

Allie - not sure whether it will be TK2 or Borgen first.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoyed this series more than series 3 - nice to see Laure before she went a bit loopy. Can't believe Josephine not clearing that guy's name at the end!

Thanks, tlp! We'll just have to wait and see...
    Agree about Laure - painful to see her not coping in 3!
  • KennyTKennyT Posts: 20,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

At the moment, both RT and Digiguide have that classic, "TBA/TBC" for Oct 8th...but this page:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/proginfo/tv/2011/wk41/sat.shtml

Doesn't have anything "special" for BBC4 on the saturday, which if either "Government" or, especially, TK2, were starting then, they'd announce it there, surely!

K
  • j'aimelatelej'aimelatele Posts: 557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just caught up with the last two episodes... every time I see Laborde I feel sick!!!

Commissaire Montalbano is supposed to be quite good...not as dark as Spiral though!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did anyone else think that it started to turn into a French farce when they did the reconstruction of the rape in that stairway? Do French judges really hold impromptu show trials like that?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    Or they could show some more episode of that French version of Maigret that they've shown before

Verence. I have seen Maigret [with Bruno Cremer] on TV5 in the past. another one which is good is the miniseries, 'A Cran' a police station set drama which earned a sequel [A Crabn- deux ans apres] also seen on TV5.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    geoveo wrote: »
    Did anyone else think that it started to turn into a French farce when they did the reconstruction of the rape in that stairway? Do French judges really hold impromptu show trials like that?

I had meant to comment on this as I was wondering the same. I think they may sometimes do reconstructions in some European countries but don't know in what circumstances. It was rather amusing when Gilou started messing around though - obviously completely inappropriate but that's Spiral for you!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    geoveo wrote: »
    I had meant to comment on this as I was wondering the same. I think they may sometimes do reconstructions in some European countries but don't know in what circumstances. It was rather amusing when Gilou started messing around though - obviously completely inappropriate but that's Spiral for you!

A cross reference with this thread - http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1541535

shows just how far apart the French and British police forces (sorry services) are.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Got to this thread a bit late! I watched the whole series, but on iplayer, a few days after the episodes were first broadcast, so wasn't watching at the right time to join in the posting here.

WHY didn't Josephine clear her colleague's name? Why did she go to the trouble of doing everything very correctly, only to destroy the video and papers? Obviously there was some advantage to her, but what? Did she not want her former mentor to become a competitor if his name was cleared and he was able to practice again? Clearly he was a very skilled criminal defence lawyer.

I found all the dream and memory sequences really weird but absorbing nevertheless. :D

Overall, I think Series 3 was more polished and better scripted, but I still like Series 1.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cadence wrote: »
    Did she not want her former mentor to become a competitor if his name was cleared and he was able to practice again? Clearly he was a very skilled criminal defence lawyer.

I was confused at this as well but googled the episode and came across a forum where a member said the same as you. I guess it shows how ruthless she can be.
  • rossi_drrossi_dr Posts: 1,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    missed Montalbano theres only 2 episodes the BBC Has i think
    next week BBC4 HAS Sat, Oct 8 · 21:00-23:10 · Wallander: The Man Who Smiled and Wallander is on the following week too
    is Wallander getting a run now does anyone know ?
  • ilovewallanderilovewallander Posts: 42,047
    Forum Member
    rossi_dr wrote: »
    missed Montalbano theres only 2 episodes the BBC Has i think
    next week BBC4 HAS Sat, Oct 8 · 21:00-23:10 · Wallander: The Man Who Smiled and Wallander is on the following week too
    is Wallander getting a run now does anyone know ?

It looks like it's a Rolf Lassgard episode *yay!* They've shown this before though and I really wanted BBC4 to show all the RL ones from the first to the last. But they've got Borgen and TK2 to show, so I don't think there's going to be a run of Wallander. It looks like it's just a filler for a week or two until they show Borgen and TK2.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was confused at this as well but googled the episode and came across a forum where a member said the same as you. I guess it shows how ruthless she can be.

Thanks for the reply. :) I wondered later if he'd insulted or offended her in some way, much like the criminal she was defending in a previous episode whose mother she prompted to withdraw her alibi. It meant losing the case but on that occasion, subtle revenge was more important to her. It seemed odd to me that she went to the trouble of filming the woman's testimony and doing everything correctly, only to destroy it and never reveal its existence. Was she prompted by the new job offer, thus putting her in the position of competitor to her former partner?

I thought it odd also that the grandmother might not be expected to mention something. Her dying daughter might not have told her that she'd lied about the rape if she felt guilt-ridden, but surely the grandmother's going to reveal that Josephine spent a lot of time with her daughter before she died - the little boy knew Josephine was filming her. If Josephine had been called in purely on the matter of revealing the existence of the child, why would it be her who was contacted? Why not Leroy's sister for example, who's also a lawyer? Why did Leroy's former associate/accuser need someone who was a criminal lawyer if it was not the criminal case she intended to discuss? Of course, Vincent Leroy might work all this out in retrospect, but since Josephine's destroyed all the evidence, he can't give any substance to any possible accusations he might make. It was his own fault in a sense - he expressly employed someone who lacked principle and was motivated more by money and her own advancement than a sense of what was right or wrong. People like that are double-edged swords.
  • parthenaparthena Posts: 2,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But they've got Borgen

Ooh, thanks for the tip-off :)
  • cheekyanguscheekyangus Posts: 1,149
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry for going off topic.

Which Rolf Lassgard Wallander episodes have they shown before and which have we still to see?

Given that the UK version of Wallander is also using the books I can't simply use the plot summaries to work it out.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry for going off topic.

Which Rolf Lassgard Wallander episodes have they shown before and which have we still to see?

Given that the UK version of Wallander is also using the books I can't simply use the plot summaries to work it out.

Between 1994 and 2007, all nine Wallander novels were made into films in Sweden starring Rolf Lassgård as Wallander:

Faceless Killers (Mördare utan ansikte) (1994);
    The Dogs of Riga (Hundarna i Riga) (1995);
    The White Lioness (Den Vita lejoninnan) (1996);
    Sidetracked (Villospår) (2001);
    The Fifth Woman (Den 5e kvinnan) (2002);
    The Man Who Smiled (Mannen som log) (2003);
    One Step Behind (Steget efter) (2005);
    Firewall (Brandvägg) (2006);
    The Pyramid (Pyramiden) (2007, video only).

The BBC showed the last 4 films. They did say, a while back, that they would be showing the remaining ones(1-5) so it would seem they do have the rights to all of them. Just no news when they will be doing so.

PS
    There is an additional ''final'' novel. Krister Henriksson has said he would like to star in any TV adaptation. But haven't heard anything new on that front.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Many thanks for that barnsleykeith. My confusion is no more. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Many thanks for that barnsleykeith. My confusion is no more. :)

Glad to help out. We can't have a confused cheeky Angus can we;):D:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glad to help out. We can't have a confused cheeky Angus can we;):D:D

No....then I'd have to change my username :D
  • GillypootsGillypoots Posts: 6,812
    Forum Member
    In case any Spiral fans don't know - On Sunday October 30th FXTV are showing a new French series called Braquo.

It is apparently very violent and akin to The Wire. What makes it a must for me is that it is out of the stable of the company that makes Spiral.

FXTV are showing series 1 but in France they are already on series 3 so it definitely is going to be worth following, for me anyway.
  • The_Time_BeingThe_Time_Being Posts: 434
    Forum Member
    A preview of Engrenages (probably nothing more than a combined trailer for the new Canal + season, but something anyway) on the internet - follow the link below on Thursday at 6:30 GMT

Avis à tous les fans d' ENGRENAGES !
    Découvrez jeudi soir en avant-première des images exclusives de la nouvelle saison lors de notre EMISSION SERIES ADDICTS animée par Darren Tulett !
    L'émission sera diffusée en direct sur www.canalplus.fr/seriesaddicts ainsi que sur la page Les séries Canal+ à partir de 19h30 !