The Walking Dead S3 (US Pace)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    I feel like people's expectations of what this show is about have been twisted somewhat. It's always been a drama/thriller, rather than a straight up zombie kill horror. Why are people surprised when a lot of the time the story is dedicated to story telling?

If I wanted a shoot 'em up, I'd buy a zombie video game. Honestly, I'm tired of all the Debbie downers saying "it's going downhill" or the pace has slowed down. It's bulls*it. Episode 14 was thrilling and suspenseful and changed the dynamic of the story by creating further predicaments to the one the character's already face. Namely, that this arc of the story has always intended to demonstrate that in this new world, the walking dead aren't your biggest concern, the living are.
  • StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have to agree BIB, I was on the edge of my seat during that part of the episode. The whistling thing I dont understand though, I dont remember him recording himself whistling though.

Never really thought about her taking the Gov's car or disabling it. Maybe he had the keys, but at the same time, she had a knife, so she could of at least slashed the tires or other things.

I was so happy to see she got to the prison, but only to be stopped just at the fence, did not see the Gov going to follow her and stop her. But in hindsight, that would not of been a fitting end for the Gov, he deserves a more wow moment death.

I think Andrea was absolutely certain the Governor was dead. So, while she may have seen if she could make use of it to get to the prison, having found it locked she wouldn't have felt the need to cut the fuel line or slash the tyres. Why bother when the keys are in a walker's stomach?

I like to think she 'keyed' the paintwork though:D
  • loracanloracan Posts: 914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sootysoo wrote: »

If I wanted a shoot 'em up, I'd buy a zombie video game.

I thought the part where he was stalking her through the building was very video-game-ish. I enjoyed it, but when I rewatch I might have to fast-forward it - I managed to shriek more often than I care to!
    Forum Member
    loracan wrote: »
    I thought the part where he was stalking her through the building was very video-game-ish. I enjoyed it, but when I rewatch I might have to fast-forward it - I managed to shriek more often than I care to!

That bit kept me awake the following night tbh. :o

Certain parts of the series have been quite horror movie-esque, especially the prison tombs that contain corpses scattered all over the floor.
  • Dub2Dub2 Posts: 2,866
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I also didn`t understand Andrea being told she`d never get close enough to the Governor to kill him.

Eh...doesn`t she have sex with him on a regular basis?

I would have thought that was as close as you could possibly get...
  • Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    *Another* filler episode. Jesus Christ they are dragging this out. S3 of Game of Thrones will put TWD to absolute shame.
  • SillyBillyGoatSillyBillyGoat Posts: 22,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *Another* filler episode. Jesus Christ they are dragging this out. S3 of Game of Thrones will put TWD to absolute shame.

I don't see what GoT has to do with TWD. I like it, but it's far too over-hyped for me now, to the point where my excitement for the season is lessened.
  • GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I feel like people's expectations of what this show is about have been twisted somewhat. It's always been a drama/thriller, rather than a straight up zombie kill horror. Why are people surprised when a lot of the time the story is dedicated to story telling?

If I wanted a shoot 'em up, I'd buy a zombie video game. Honestly, I'm tired of all the Debbie downers saying "it's going downhill" or the pace has slowed down. It's bulls*it. Episode 14 was thrilling and suspenseful and changed the dynamic of the story by creating further predicaments to the one the character's already face. Namely, that this arc of the story has always intended to demonstrate that in this new world, the walking dead aren't your biggest concern, the living are.

I agree totally, love these so-called filler episodes.

Will kill the pretentious GoT in the ratings.
    Forum Member
    I agree totally, love these so-called filler episodes.

Will kill the pretentious GoT in the ratings.

I love both GoT and TWD but they are completely different animals.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love both GoT and TWD but they are completely different animals.

Indeed, not quite sure why anyone would come into a Walking Dead thread bigging it up though.

I do find some of the fan-boys of that show turning me off it. I enjoy it, but I actually think it lags more than this show.

but ho-hum, diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 28
    Forum Member
    Its the filler episodes that give the story that then make the major episodes so much more enthralling.

While episode 4 was outstanding and had it all, it was the filler episodes that put it into that position. Just the same as when the mid season final last year was made extra special by the build up ( though the build up was a little to long, by about two episodes).
  • OpEdOpEd Posts: 579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mr muggles wrote: »
    Why dont you back up your gripes with some examples?:)

I've been saying this for at least 2 episodes now. If you really can't see how these characters we've been following are no longer playing any "part" and are instead just a bunch of completely inconsistent devices to drag these strung-out "plots" along... you could go back and read what I wrote when the show first started to breakdown... as it continues to.

Otherwise, at this point, you can watch just about any scene to witness another instance of "we-need-this-to-happen-so-who-is-onscreen-to-help-us-shoehorn-it-in?"
  • mindsetmindset Posts: 23,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OpEd wrote: »
    I've been saying this for at least 2 episodes now. If you really can't see how these characters we've been following are no longer playing any "part" and are instead just a bunch of completely inconsistent devices to drag these strung-out "plots" along... you could go back and read what I wrote when the show first started to breakdown... as it continues to.

Otherwise, at this point, you can watch just about any scene to witness another instance of "we-need-this-to-happen-so-who-is-onscreen-to-help-us-shoehorn-it-in?"

I'm disappointed to have to say I agree with you. I think this season could have benefitted from a cut of perhaps two or more episodes so far. I thought the first half of the season was excellent (apart from the episode about Rick's hallucinations and the less than exciting conclusion to the mid season finale). The second half of the season has been a let down IMO. I would put much of the blame for this on the extent of Andrea's story arc, particularly the length of time it took her to see the light. I think they let it run too long. I would have preferred it if she had somehow seen Glen and Maggie being tortured, just as Rick's rescue team hit Woodbury, she rescues them and joins Rick and company on the way out.

In the following episode we could then have had the governor's probing attack on the prison, together with Rick's trip to look for guns. Andrea resolves her differences as far as she can with everyone then helping to defend the prison (redemption with the viewers complete) and Merle being captured/saved by Daryl.

I'd like to think most viewers would prefer 6 great episodes (season 1), rather than 13 or even 16 episodes (seasons 2 and 3), with scripts diluted to fill the extra space. Although I think season 3 is better than 2, (so far) despite having more episodes. But it's apparent to me that less is more, so I can only hope they decide to condense the scripts for season 4.
  • nathanbrazilnathanbrazil Posts: 8,863
    Forum Member
    OpEd wrote: »
    Those that fast-forwarded are seeing through this crude manipulation little by little.

Surely, you would be happier watching Eastenders or Coronation Street. Why torture yourself watching Walking Dead?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    to, Mindset:

Well disagree, I think the acting has been superb, I always kind of knew we wouldn't get the finale, until, um, the end.

I follow the motivations behind the characters and I believe in them, I think it's the best tv around at the moment. Because I like the charactisation, the talents of the actors and the tension. That's what drama is. If others haven't bought it fair enough, it's a difference of opinion, but you're agreeing with a very condescending poster.

Don't feel any of it's filler, think the drama has been paced like Breaking Bad. I think they're all great Episodes, and have really enjoyed the last 3, especially the Lennie James one, which was maybe the best episode ever, IMHO.

Oh and I liked season 2 too, but this is my fave season so far.
  • mindsetmindset Posts: 23,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    to, Mindset:

Well disagree, I think the acting has been superb, I always kind of knew we wouldn't get the finale, until, um, the end.

I follow the motivations behind the characters and I believe in them, I think it's the best tv around at the moment. Because I like the charactisation, the talents of the actors and the tension. That's what drama is. If others haven't bought it fair enough, it's a difference of opinion, but you're agreeing with a very condescending poster.

Don't feel any of it's filler, think the drama has been paced like Breaking Bad. I think they're all great Episodes, and have really enjoyed the last 3, especially the Lennie James one, which was maybe the best episode ever, IMHO.

Oh and I liked season 2 too, but this is my fave season so far.

Fair enough. We each of us like what we like. :)

I just can't help wishing both the search for Sophia in season 2 and the Andrea saga in season 3 had both been cut back. I like seasons 2 and 3, but I could have loved them, if they had been edited as tightly as the marvellous season 1.

P.S. I agree with you about the quality of the acting in The Walking Dead and I love Breaking Bad.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mindset wrote: »
    Fair enough. We each of us like what we like. :)

I just can't help wishing both the search for Sophia in season 2 and the Andrea saga in season 3 had both been cut back. I like seasons 2 and 3, but I could have loved them, if they had been edited as tightly as the marvellous season 1.

P.S. I agree with you about the quality of the acting in The Walking Dead and I love Breaking Bad.

:)
    Oh, kind of agree with Sophia, that's why that series was my least fave, yeah wouldn't have hated one or two episodes going there. It's not like the viewing public wanted her back anyway, little brat.
  • OpEdOpEd Posts: 579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mindset wrote: »
    I would put much of the blame for this on the extent of Andrea's story arc, particularly the length of time it took her to see the light. I think they let it run too long. I would have preferred it if she had somehow seen Glen and Maggie being tortured, just as Rick's rescue team hit Woodbury, she rescues them and joins Rick and company on the way out.

Yes. Come to think of it, Andrea's "development" is a very good example of stringing things out and also slap-dashing things. Her character isn't as uber-central as Rick so we don't know her quite as well; and her character isn't as single-minded as Rick either -- she has been conflicted before; but she is a perfect example of this utterly unconvincing back-and-forth dramanonsense that has been at play.
    to, Mindset:
    If others haven't bought it fair enough, it's a difference of opinion, but you're agreeing with a very condescending poster.

Oooooh... Be careful Mindset! You might have your own opinions, sure, just steer clear of daring so openly to agree with "very condescending" me. 'Cuz just who knows what The Good Folk'll thank 'bout thet?
  • Bad Wolf 525Bad Wolf 525 Posts: 5,552
    Forum Member
    Just for the record, I liked the episode. I was happy to see that Andrea finally redeemed herself. I was so happy that she made it to the prison, only to be caught...gutted. I'm not sure why she didn't try to take the truck or disable it in some way, but hey that's a minor complaint.

Very pleased with Milton. I would like to see him free Andrea and they escape to the prison together. That would be awesome, but this is TWD so no happy endings, right :D

The one thing I got from The Talking Dead this week, was I get the feeling that Laurie Holden must spend some time reading forums or at least internet comments about her character. It seemed to me that she was defending Andrea and that she had some hurt feelings. Maybe I'm mistaken, but that's how it came across to me.

Very excited for next week episode
  • The_SleeperThe_Sleeper Posts: 200,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Very excited for next week episode

You & me both ...... Wolfie ;)
    Forum Member
    You & me both ...... Wolfie ;)

Hiya Sleeps!!!! :D

So good to see you

Excited are ya ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hiya Sleeps!!!! :D
    So good to see you
    Excited are ya ;)

Nice to see youu aswell :)

I been looking out for you, on the other threads but not seen you ! :(

I'm Buzzin ! ;)
    Forum Member
    Nice to see youu aswell :)

I been looking out for you, on the other threads but not seen you ! :(

I'm Buzzin ! ;)

Yes I haven't been around much lately, been busy :( I'm posting now though. Probably just got myself in trouble :o Nothing changes with me :D

You're buzzin :D Dry spell over.....woot woot :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes I haven't been around much lately, been busy :( I'm posting now though. Probably just got myself in trouble :o Nothing changes with me :D
    You're buzzin :D Dry spell over.....woot woot :D

:eek::eek:

I'll be fine now your back ! ;):D

SYL ;)
    Forum Member
    :eek::eek:

I'll be fine now your back ! ;):D

SYL ;)

;)

AWWWW Thank you Sleeps

Take care, always a pleasure chatting with you :)