iPhone 5S poor call quality

darkthunder35darkthunder35 Posts: 5,016
Forum Member
Hi all,

Not sure if anyone else has the same issue. When I'm on the phone I can hear the other person crystal clear, however they say it's really poor and they cannot understand me.

I've tried my o2 sim card in a Moto G and that was perfect both ways, so I can rule o2 out.

If I took my iPhone to Apple will they exchange it? It was originally purchased from Carphone Warehouse, however they said that they will send it away but go to the Apple shop and they'll just swap it. Don't want a wasted journey really as the closest is 40 minutes away.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Ashley_BradburyAshley_Bradbury Posts: 204
    Forum Member
    Hi all,

Not sure if anyone else has the same issue. When I'm on the phone I can hear the other person crystal clear, however they say it's really poor and they cannot understand me.

I've tried my o2 sim card in a Moto G and that was perfect both ways, so I can rule o2 out.

If I took my iPhone to Apple will they exchange it? It was originally purchased from Carphone Warehouse, however they said that they will send it away but go to the Apple shop and they'll just swap it. Don't want a wasted journey really as the closest is 40 minutes away.

Thanks in advance

I had the same issue and had the phone replaced twice, thinking it was a fault mic. It turned out that is wasnt the phone but when I was on O2's 2g network for the call. My sisters with EE and has no issue when on 2g with her 5s
  • tycho-magtycho-mag Posts: 8,664
    Forum Member

Don't rule out O2 they have the worst call quality of all the 4 networks on 2G signals. (O2's 3G voice is okay). If you are on EE, Three or Vodafone with a 3G signal and calling someone on the same network, then the iPhone 5, 5c, 5s support HD Voice, and a lot of androids but sadly not the Moto G I believe. HD Voice is incredibly clear.

Try and get an O2 3G signal on the iPhone and try again.

Yes, Apple store will consider exchanging, they will run diagnostics first, but they are very helpful.

Just search this forum for the comments about O2 voice quality - I was a customer for 18 months with the iPhone 3GS and could never be again, I always had to repeat myself in almost every call.
  • paulkerpaulker Posts: 927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jchamier wrote: »
    Don't rule out O2 they have the worst call quality of all the 4 networks on 2G signals. (O2's 3G voice is okay). If you are on EE, Three or Vodafone with a 3G signal and calling someone on the same network, then the iPhone 5, 5c, 5s support HD Voice, and a lot of androids but sadly not the Moto G I believe. HD Voice is incredibly clear.

Try and get an O2 3G signal on the iPhone and try again.

Yes, Apple store will consider exchanging, they will run diagnostics first, but they are very helpful.

Just search this forum for the comments about O2 voice quality - I was a customer for 18 months with the iPhone 3GS and could never be again, I always had to repeat myself in almost every call.

Agree O2 voice quality is abysmal.
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Network quality possibly.

Maybe you should have gone for the better 5c on this one. As likely as not it matches the Moto G signal wise.
  • d123d123 Posts: 8,605
    Forum Member
    alanwarwic wrote: »

Maybe you should have gone for the better 5c on this one. As likely as not it matches the Moto G signal wise.

Could you explain how the 5c is better than the 5s?
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    d123 wrote: »
    Could you explain how the 5c is better than the 5s?

The plastic body pretty much.
  • nafanny29nafanny29 Posts: 1,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    O2 (my work line) is appalling at call quality. Constant calls dropped, going straight to voicemail, robot voices etc

O2 should be banned asap!!
    Forum Member
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    The plastic body pretty much.

I honestly don't see how that makes the 5c better than the 5s.

If it's some sort of assertion of the plastic body making for a better signal, as someone who handles both on a daily basis, there is no truth to that supposition.
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    I honestly don't see how that makes the 5c better than the 5s.

If it's some sort of assertion of the plastic body making for a better signal, as someone who handles both on a daily basis, there is no truth to that supposition.

Theoretically it can.

And real life tests seem to support that the plastic iPhone 5C can pick up a better signal than the metal iPhone 5S. Difference will be small though.
  • paulkerpaulker Posts: 927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's the network. My 5s sounds fantastic especial
    Y when Vodafone -voda hd calls
    Forum Member
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    Theoretically it can.

And real life tests seem to support that the plastic iPhone 5C can pick up a better signal than the metal iPhone 5S. Difference will be small though.

Must be extremely small, I had both on my desk yesterday, no difference in signal display or call quality.

I'm still sceptical of the body making a difference, especially as the cellular antennas are part of the external frame on the 5s.
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Must be extremely small....

In fact it is non existent under normal decent conditions but massive when in a dodgy signal area.
  • Andy ParishAndy Parish Posts: 527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are you using a case with a flap on the phone? You maybe covering up the noise reduction mic (little hole next to the flash) with the case or your finger. If you are, it will make you sound very muffled and quiet for the person you are speaking to.

Watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stltzFlt78c
  • tycho-magtycho-mag Posts: 8,664
    Forum Member
    Are you using a case with a flap on the phone? You maybe covering up the noise reduction mic (little hole next to the flash) with the case or your finger. If you are, it will make you sound very muffled and quiet for the person you are speaking to.

That explains why there is now an option in setting to disable noise cancelling.