Options

The Bill (Drama Pace)

Comments

• Options
    merrim01merrim01 Posts: 2,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely they won't miss a whole episode, why not just edit the content if it's not suitable for daytime. No doubt it was originally shown before the watershed anyway?
  • Options
    darrenh2011darrenh2011 Posts: 2,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yep they skipped part 1 :(
  • Options
    GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just caught it starting today, it came up week of nights part one.
  • Options
    Bonesy84Bonesy84 Posts: 5,741
    Forum Member
    Grouty wrote: »
    Just caught it starting today, it came up week of nights part one.

Really on my EPG it came up as the story continues
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apologies, must have been the second, as just watched it on the youtube link above, and it was the start of the second part i caught, could have sworn it came up as part one though, still i'll find out when i get to it, as im a couple of weeks behind still.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 651
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apologies that this is out of sync but years ago in series 6, I think , the uniform sergeant who was eventually sacked/resigned for drink driving stumbled across and arrested a sun hill child murderer , in somewhere like canley fields I'm sure . The bloke was fairly unpopular but ended up being the hero . The storyline had run throughout the whole series I think .

I appreciate it's probably a forlorn hope but does anyone know what episode the arrest was ?

Thanks
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 651
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    scousemick wrote: »
    Apologies that this is out of sync but years ago in series 6, I think , the uniform sergeant who was eventually sacked/resigned for drink driving stumbled across and arrested a sun hill child murderer , in somewhere like canley fields I'm sure . The bloke was fairly unpopular but ended up being the hero . The storyline had run throughout the whole series I think .

I appreciate it's probably a forlorn hope but does anyone know what episode the arrest was ?

Thanks

Pls ignore .

Sorted thanks
  • Options
    davey_waveydavey_wavey Posts: 27,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Did the story still kind of make sense even though they skipped Part 1? Can't wait for Des to arrive and to see his relationship with Reg again.

I watched Cruise Control earlier - a solid enough episode, a good storyline, I guessed who the attacker was but I thought the twist at the end was very well done and unexpected.
  • Options
    highlander1969highlander1969 Posts: 6,832
    Forum Member
    Did the story still kind of make sense even though they skipped Part 1? Can't wait for Des to arrive and to see his relationship with Reg again.

I watched Cruise Control earlier - a solid enough episode, a good storyline, I guessed who the attacker was but I thought the twist at the end was very well done and unexpected.

Many thanks to Readingfan for posting a link to Part 1.

Part 1 was Taviner's introductory episode and it was a shame this was missed out.

The only reason I can think of was a scene between Glimore and Taviner that included some homophobic diaglogue. But this came from Gilmore making a point to Taviner so I don't see why it would render and entire episode to be omitted. The scene could easily have been edited and would have no bearing on the storyline.
    Alibi, at the time, obviously saw no reason not to screen this episode.
    PC gone crazy? :confused:
  • Options
    tubzy2001tubzy2001 Posts: 1,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ray Lonnen who played Nick Klein's father has passed away
  • Options
    Bonesy84Bonesy84 Posts: 5,741
    Forum Member

Part 1 was Taviner's introductory episode and it was a shame this was missed out.

The only reason I can think of was a scene between Glimore and Taviner that included some homophobic diaglogue. But this came from Gilmore making a point to Taviner so I don't see why it would render and entire episode to be omitted. The scene could easily have been edited and would have no bearing on the storyline.

According to there facebook page somone emailed them and got this reply from them

Thank you for your email.

We are sorry to hear that you were unhappy with the scheduling of The Bill.

We schedule episodes in order, but sometimes an episode is judged to be unsuitable for pre-watershed transmission by our compliance checkers.

If we are showing the programme before the watershed, we may have to skip certain episodes, to prevent risking an Ofcom fine if viewers complain.

There may be an issue with showing certain episodes if they conflict with similar shows on other channels or if we are unable to obtain the rights to that episode. We are also sensitive to current affairs and an episode may be replaced at late notice due to the topics it covers.

Where possible we show all the episodes in the right order, except that some episodes may have to be missed out. Whilst we realise this can affect the flow of the story, we do our best to maintain running order.

We have to abide by the standards required by Ofcom and our responsibility as a broadcaster.

Kind regards

The UKTV Team
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't see why they'd cut the whole episode just for that, if it was for that, as i watched an episode a couple of weeks back now, where Rolf Harris got a mention, so surely that episode should have been dropped as well.
  • Options
    malcy30malcy30 Posts: 7,166
    Forum Member
    Grouty wrote: »
    I can't see why they'd cut the whole episode just for that, if it was for that, as i watched an episode a couple of weeks back now, where Rolf Harris got a mention, so surely that episode should have been dropped as well.

Just watched parts 1 and 2 thanks to the YouTube link above.

Agree with earlier comments the only possible issue is the homophobic language, but that was incidental to the story so as said could have been easily cut out. They have cut chunks out of other episodes so could have done same here.
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

If that was all that stopped part 1 being shown at the regular time then surely it could have been shown in the late night repeat slot
  • Options
    merrim01merrim01 Posts: 2,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A shame they skipped that episode, surely like has been said it could have been shown later or edited.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's been everyone's favourite episode since the new CID arrived? I loved the On the Hook two parter, but my favourite is The Leopard two parter. Smithy is evolving into a great character and I love his scenes with Nick Klein - both actors gel well together and make a good partnership.

I also love the scenes with Chandler and Cryer in these episodes, and the antagonism between the two. And Cryer's methods becoming more out of sync with the rest of the team. I enjoy watching the faith and loyalty that Cryer has towards Smithy.

I've just got The Bill Volume 1 on DVD which feature the first 30 minute episodes from 1988 - can't wait to watch them for the first time. Maybe Drama will show some of the 30 minute episodes in the future.
  • Options
    ilovewallanderilovewallander Posts: 42,048
    Forum Member
    tubzy2001 wrote: »
    Ray Lonnen who played Nick Klein's father has passed away

I didn't know he'd died, sad news. I'd like repeats of The Sandbaggers and Harry's Game. I vaguely remember Harry's Game (I was about eight or nine at the time it was shown) but I've never seen The Sandbaggers. I've heard it's good though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see ITV Encore would rather repeat Crime Stories the shit that was filmed on the Sun Hill set rather than The Bill
  • Options
    PsychoTherapistPsychoTherapist Posts: 2,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tubzy2001 wrote: »
    I see ITV Encore would rather repeat Crime Stories the shit that was filmed on the Sun Hill set rather than The Bill

It's because ITV don't own The Bill, they'd have to pay for the rerun rights to show it again on any of their channels, just like UKTV do.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have such a big crush on Nick Klein :D what's the actor up to these days, I wonder.
  • Options
    chrisgwfcchrisgwfc Posts: 50
    Forum Member
    Anyone else think the general standard of episodes has declined since the end of the Don Beech storyline. The CID that left as a result of that storyline (Kerry/Claire/John/Geoff/Don/Deakin and Brownlow) were such iconic characters in the shows history. Add to that Liz/Rod/Tom had all left in the previous 10 months things changed really quickly. The new CID characters are just horrible, I cannot warm to any of them, mainly because of the way they cosy up to Chandler and totally undermine Jack! I think the fact that only one of them (Debbie) lasts longer than 2 years is testament to the fact they really were a dissapointing bunch.

Personally I think the Long Shadows part 1&2 storyline was the best since the new CID because we saw Jack & Duncan redress the balance of power in CID a bit and although Jack didn't find the smoking gun against Chandler (yet!) he at least realised Jack was not somebody he could push around and expect nothing back! An honourable mention to the 3 part storyline that covered Dave Quinnan's breakdown however, and the long running Nick/Smith/Cryer story. It seems the uniformed characters were really holding the show together during this period.

Also does anyone share the same opinion as me that some of the standalone episodes around this time are a bit boring and one dimensional. It seems the writers put a lot of effort into the multi-parted storylines such as Long Shadows, The Leopard, Happy and Glorious, Gun Crazy, Britanniamania, Cass' 3 part story and Boyden's 3 part story but some of the standalone eps were not as good?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's because ITV don't own The Bill, they'd have to pay for the rerun rights to show it again on any of their channels, just like UKTV do.

Considering we have to pay for it then they would get their money back
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisgwfc wrote: »
    Anyone else think the general standard of episodes has declined since the end of the Don Beech storyline. The CID that left as a result of that storyline (Kerry/Claire/John/Geoff/Don/Deakin and Brownlow) were such iconic characters in the shows history. Add to that Liz/Rod/Tom had all left in the previous 10 months things changed really quickly. The new CID characters are just horrible, I cannot warm to any of them, mainly because of the way they cosy up to Chandler and totally undermine Jack! I think the fact that only one of them (Debbie) lasts longer than 2 years is testament to the fact they really were a dissapointing bunch.

Also does anyone share the same opinion as me that some of the standalone episodes around this time are a bit boring and one dimensional. It seems the writers put a lot of effort into the multi-parted storylines such as Long Shadows, The Leopard, Happy and Glorious, Gun Crazy, Britanniamania, Cass' 3 part story and Boyden's 3 part story but some of the standalone eps were not as good?

Regarding the CID changes, I agree - those characters were terrible and not surprising that most of them were axed in the 2002 clearout. The uniform cast was stronger in the post-Beech period, mostly due to the fact that they'd been there longer and were already well established.

Regarding the stories, whilst most of the standalone episodes were indeed dire, there were some standout ones, notably "Another Country". On the flip side, some of the multi-part stories were awful, for example the serial rapist storyline, even Liz Rawton couldn't save that mess. Though her scenes with Chandler were fun, she knew how to handle him lol!
  • Options
    SoleilSoleil Posts: 44
    Forum Member
    chrisgwfc wrote: »

Personally I think the Long Shadows part 1&2 storyline was the best since the new CID because we saw Jack & Duncan redress the balance of power in CID a bit and although Jack didn't find the smoking gun against Chandler (yet!) he at least realised Jack was not somebody he could push around and expect nothing back! An honourable mention to the 3 part storyline that covered Dave Quinnan's breakdown however, and the long running Nick/Smith/Cryer story. It seems the uniformed characters were really holding the show together during this period.

Absolutely ! A massive downturn during this era compared to the previous period. Agree with so much of this, with so many episodes totally forgettable, which hold so little attention, just like so many of the new characters. Which is why it's hard to understand why there's often so much criticism for the Marquess era which followed, as it's way ahead of this dismal, if relatively short-lived era.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Soleil wrote: »
    Absolutely ! A massive downturn during this era compared to the previous period. Agree with so much of this, with so many episodes totally forgettable, which hold so little attention, just like so many of the new characters. Which is why it's hard to understand why there's often so much criticism for the Marquess era which followed, as it's way ahead of this dismal, if relatively short-lived era.

Because the Marquess era went too far with sensationalist & extremely far-fetched stories & characters.

The first year of the Marquess era wasn't too bad, aside from the Des firebomb stuff & Chandler's downfall. But the madness took over from 2003 onwards and that's why it's generally hated.