Justin Lee Collins on Bruce

Lukey37Lukey37 Posts: 5,369
Forum Member
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8269600.stm

Most interesting comment is that Bruce was 'very rude' when Justin did that SCD spin off show.

Comments

• EwaawoowaaEwaawoowaa Posts: 2,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lukey37 wrote: »
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8269600.stm

Most interesting comment is that Bruce was 'very rude' when Justin did that SCD spin off show.

I can believe it. Bruce was incredibly rude to John Sargeant in the final.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ewaawoowaa wrote: »
    I can believe it. Bruce was incredibly rude to John Sargeant in the final.

I went to see the JLC show and in between guests - just talking to the audience off air he went into a real rant about Bruce! He used a very naughty word to describe him too.
  • welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think JLC is brilliant
  • The_abbottThe_abbott Posts: 26,958
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bruce also said "Shove off" to one couple on Saturday. Can't remember who it was now.
  • horwichallstarshorwichallstars Posts: 16,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I went to the recording last year, Bruce was very rude to the audience in general. This was beause we didn't laugh at his "gags" - problem was that they weren't very funny. TBH I have nothing against him as a person..it's whoever writes the script needs to be called to account
  • Robert RomarinRobert Romarin Posts: 11,956
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was no fan of Sergeant at all...but Forsyth's behaviour towards him was well out of order on at least one occasion that I can recall...so I think it's quite plausible that he's rude.
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does he also have a tip who should replace Brucie? :rolleyes: I think he's doing OK so far.
  • jill1812jill1812 Posts: 12,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IvanIV wrote: »
    Does he also have a tip who should replace Brucie? :rolleyes: I think he's doing OK so far.

He wants Sir Terry Wogan.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 288
    Forum Member
    It's nice to see JLC talking candidly about Bruce Forsyth's rudeness. Not many would do it, and it's good to hear another celebrity speak as he finds.
  • SCD-ObserverSCD-Observer Posts: 18,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He asked Aliona to 'shove off' or something because it was nearing the end. Surely he could be more patient for a TV newbie like Aliona? One can somewhat understand that being in his eighties and he must be really tired towards the end of a long show, so perhaps that makes him more easily rattled as such? In any case, it's right Colin Lee's pov, that Bruce is just too old to front a live show like Strictly.

Methinks, however, that he will only 'retire' when he stops breathing...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 302
    Forum Member
    I think it's rather brave of JLC to stick his head above the paraphet and say in public what loads of broadcasters must be thinking privately. Too many of them fall for the "Brucie broadcasting legend" line which I personally think is pure tosh. I was around watching family TV in the 70s - his so call heyday and didn't rate him then. Now he's just an embarrassment.

After not taking to him much before, I've found myself warming to JLC as a presenter & personality of late particularly in the Sky series he's been doing where he takes on various challenges. One was actually Ballroom dancing which I missed. But the ones I caught were good entertainment and he came over as a really nice bloke - well up for taking on the chllenges seriously, giving it his all and being witty and self-depreciating throughout. Made me think he'd be a good choice for a contestant on SCD in the future.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As far as I am concerned, it is none of JLC's business, and he has displayed a degree of rudeness that is not warranted speaking in such a manner in public (especially stating that Bruce is "too old to carry on"). It does reek of someone with an axe to grind, someone who nurses some bitter feelings.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't remember bruce being rude to John Sergeant last year, he may have made an "ageist" joke but Bruce is old so he probably feels he can. As for telling someone to "shove off", surely he didn't mean it rudely, was it not tongue in cheek? I think I have a good rudeness radar and haven't noticed anything except the inappropriate remark to Erin this year which was tasteless but, as we are told, he doesn't write the jokes.

I am surprised that Bruce is rude to audiences. I have heard people say how good he is with the audiences in the past (I mean recent past). Men often get crotchety in old age and people are always clamouring for Bruce's retirement on those grounds so maybe it is time.....but we should not be too sensitive about what are meant as light hearted comments.

I can remember when Penny Lancaster was a contestant he kept referring, in joke, to her height, and I thought that was a bit much. As if there was nothing else to comment on and she was a lovely contestant.
  • ricardoyluciaricardoylucia Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    As far as I am concerned, it is none of JLC's business, and he has displayed a degree of rudeness that is not warranted speaking in such a manner in public (especially stating that Bruce is "too old to carry on"). It does reek of someone with an axe to grind, someone who nurses some bitter feelings.

We agree.

From our point of view, there are less than a handful of entertainers who can front a live show and Bruce is still the best.
  • TMLS313TMLS313 Posts: 3,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

How is it "none of [his] business" to recount something that he personally experienced? He was asked a question and he answered it, and gave his opinions as a fan of the show based on his own experience. If such a thing shouldn't be done, let's remove this entire message board then; clearly it's none of OUR business what's going on, either.
  • SCD-ObserverSCD-Observer Posts: 18,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

He's speaking from his personal experience, and obviously it's a personal experience, and I am sure others have good experience with Bruce in the show.

I don't see it's 'none of his business' at all.:confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Double posted somehow. Not good with his stuff:(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What the F gives Justin (or anyone) the right to say when Bruce (or anyone) should retire?
    Ok the guy might be 'Rude', SCD'ing's not my show, so I've only seen Brucie in interviews over the last cuple of years, but if we're going to be 'picky' JLC should cut his hair and shave his beard.
  • allyfreeallyfree Posts: 2,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

In the clip, JLC was extremely open and honest about his personal experience of "Doddery-he-most certainly-is" (my opinion, btw); not bitter or twisted in any way. He was full of admiration, respectful and polite towards him, whilst merely stating his opinion that perhaps this type of show was too challenging for him nowadays .....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like both of them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bruce was not funny and I still stand by that its time for him to move on....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    Bruce Forsyth has got more talent in his little finger that that hairy oath Justin Lee Collins.

Bruce is a showman with real talent with many decades in the business. While he presented The Generation Game, Bruce always had a reputation for being slightly rude / dismissive to contestants when not on camera.
    It was what later partly endeared Larry Grayson to contestants and audience becaue he was so good with people and 'geniuene' all the time.

You can hardly blame Bruce, having to do inane quiz shows, dealing with ignorant / thick contestants and having to dumb down to their level. I bet he couldn't wait to get out of the studio after each recording.

Justin Lee Collins is just a very average baffoon. The Friday /Sunday night project only worked and, was entertaining because of Alan Carr. I'm amazed Justin got his own series on Sky. Speaking out like that is just incredibly rude and ageist, just like that overpaid very average talented Jonathan Ross.

Perhaps one day when Brucie has had enough, they can stick the wonderful Terry Wogan on to present Strictly but in the meantime let ole Brucie carry on in his own eclectic way.
  • feistyfeisty Posts: 2,987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Hmm...none of his business??...He was being interviewed??..Why shouldn't he be allowed to air his opinion? You have aired your opinion on JLC and nobody has objected?....I can't see the difference...
  • jjackson42jjackson42 Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    Bruce Forsyth has got more talent in his little finger that that hairy oath Justin Lee Collins.

Bruce is a showman with real talent with many decades in the business. While he presented The Generation Game, Bruce always had a reputation for being slightly rude / dismissive to contestants when not on camera.
    It was what later partly endeared Larry Grayson to contestants and audience becaue he was so good with people and 'geniuene' all the time.

This thread isn't about their relative talents - its about Bruce's rudeness. - which you yourself admit to. Please stay on topic

JJ
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    allyfree wrote: »
    In the clip, JLC was extremely open and honest about his personal experience of "Doddery-he-most certainly-is" (my opinion, btw); not bitter or twisted in any way. He was full of admiration, respectful and polite towards him, whilst merely stating his opinion that perhaps this type of show was too challenging for him nowadays .....
    I do wonder what his motivation is though - if you as a showbiz entertainer feels that someone should step aside, you certainly don't do it in a public interview which is guaranteed to humiliate or annoy. Maybe he had motives driven by other things, maybe he was ill-advised. Whatever the reason, he has not conducted himself in a manner that I would have expected.